PDA

View Full Version : Want a nice, practical knife blade for an antler...Looking for some input!!

mr_verbatim
02-22-2012, 11:12 PM
Hey all,

I have a nice antler that I want to transform into a knife. I've looked at ALLOT of blades from Damascus to D2 in quite a few stiles, but I haven't really found anything that made me go ahead a make a buy.

I'm wondering what knife sources you have used for a similar project. This is a bulky/gnarly antler so I'm looking for a blade with presence and attitude. :twisted:

Thanks!

Dan

madrona sh
02-22-2012, 11:18 PM
I am making a broadsword for my son using the steel from a 40" chainsaw bar.
Maybe you could use the same for a presence and attitude knife.
Just draw it out and go to town on it.

Bow Walker
02-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Mabye you need a bowie-type design for attitude and presence...........

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_2151.jpg

Matty_ola
02-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Tablesaw blades work really well, the main thing is keeping the heat out of the steel to ensure you don't change the characteristics of the steel.

While working it keep cold water near by and dunk it in there when it starts getting warm.

The Hermit
02-25-2012, 12:08 AM
Check out the Fallkniven BWM1, BF1, and BS1 from small to pretty big! Let me know if you want a quote.

spear
02-25-2012, 12:25 AM
Mora blades of sweden are sold in laminated, high carbon and stainless at Lee Valley, made a knife for my father in law a few years back, turned out great

mr_verbatim
02-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Nice! If that Winchester has the right tang it's in.....

Thanks for the reply's, when I have a little more time I'll look into all of those suggestions... Keep them coming!

Thanks

Dan

Mabye you need a bowie-type design for attitude and presence...........

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_2151.jpg

Black Lab
03-02-2012, 12:07 AM
If you don't want to build the blade, you could check Ebay there are a lot of dealers that sell semi/finished blade blanks. It would be fun to build your own blade though. Lots of stuff on U tube.

bearguy
01-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Check out Northcoast knives via Google.. He sells good US, Japanese and Swedish knife blanks and kits.

Goliath
01-03-2013, 11:46 PM
Considering you're from the kootenays, it may be worth your time to visit one of your local sawmills and/or chip mills.

Depending on the type of chipper they have (drum, disc, ring etc) will determine if they have something good for your use. Chipper steel is 57 RC, and is popular with some knife guys. A typical 3" x 24" blade is $20 brand new...and these mills chuck them out when they reach minimum dimensions...which means free for you.

3mm thick bandsaw blades are sweet if you can find a mill that's chucking it.

biggyun68
01-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Leaf spring steel can make good sword and knife blanks as well