PDA

View Full Version : stewart billies tommorow

chargerman69
02-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Rhyno and myself are off on our first hunt together. I posted a hunter request to hunt with me in stewart for a late season billy. I recieved a few PM's and met up with RHYNO at the pub in terrace. plans fell through in january due to work but it finally came together. we leave Terrace tommorow after work for stewart. we can only hunt 3 days but it is better then nothing. thanks for the guys who showed interest and I hope we come back with an epic story and good pictures, but if not, i met a new friend from this site and the stories that will fly around now will be unbelievable...... literally???? we'll see!

Brew
02-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Good luck on your hunt. Great time of year to get a goat. Cant wait to read the story and see the pics of a long haired billy. May the weather be in your favor.

ncurrie
02-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Have fun guys!

EvanG
02-22-2012, 10:13 PM
SO JEALOUS.... good luck and be safe

Rhyno
02-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Gear is packed and ready to go!

375 ultramag
02-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Sounds like fun.....shoot straight!

BCbillies
02-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Enjoy your time! The depth of snow this year is making locating and accessing goats tough . . . but sitting on the couch won't bring forth an opportunity. :)

bruin
02-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Great idea guys. Good luck and stay safe!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
02-22-2012, 11:42 PM
good luck didn't know it was open .... wish i knew sounds fun..

todbartell
02-22-2012, 11:51 PM
good luck, post up some pics when you get back

barry1974w
02-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Good luck, be safe. Awesome capes this time of year.

Skull Hunter
02-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Good luck, that's a hunt I've been looking at from a distance for a couple of years now. I'd like to make it happen but it's hard to convince someone else to go up in those mountains with you!

Philcott
02-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Have a great trip, take lots of pics and good luck finding your quarry.

kitnayakwa77
02-23-2012, 10:23 AM
good luck, managed to get out and fill my LEH goat last week in Terrace after watching the weather all fall and winter and not getting out much. The snow has gotten pretty hard lately which was good for travel, but crampons and an ice axe certainly increased confidence on the steep snowy slopes... the CI said he has seen 10% of normal harvest for residents for goats in terrace this year due to weather.

BCbillies
02-23-2012, 11:09 AM
good luck, managed to get out and fill my LEH goat last week in Terrace after watching the weather all fall and winter and not getting out much. The snow has gotten pretty hard lately which was good for travel, but crampons and an ice axe certainly increased confidence on the steep snowy slopes... the CI said he has seen 10% of normal harvest for residents for goats in terrace this year due to weather.

Congrats on being in the 10% . . . look forward to the story and photos! How were the snow depths in your spot? A few areas in your zone generally gets hit with less snow. I was just to the west of you and a ways up a valley . . . the snow was ~12 feet deep at the 2000' level.

Tron
03-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Any news yet? I'm looking forward to the story and pic's

chargerman69
03-01-2012, 07:31 PM
sorry for the delay, its been busy back at work. well the first day found us finding a drainage to hike up. after we decided wher to go we put the snowshoes on and headed out. following the creekbed up and glassing every couple hundred yard wasnt giving us much luck. all we found was a HUGE wold track, and a few goat tracks along the creek. we arrived at a nice south facing bluff and avey slide area so we set up and glass. it wasnt long beore we found 7 goats. 3 nannies, 3 kids and a decent billy at 550 yards/ tempting.... yes luckily we didnt shoot. The folowing day we headed out early an got to the goat bluffs at a good hour of the morning. we found a bunh of groups of goats and with the short time we had to hunt we decided to make a move on a bedded billy. we made it up the slide in no time at all, started to side hill towards the goat and by he time we realized that we were in a dangerous spot, we were too far in it to turn around. it was ice and hard to even chip foot holes. After our best efforts we decided safety was #1 so we slid out of there, literaly. went back to the creek glassed the goat to make sure he ws still there and tried tofind anoher trail up to him. we glassed 3 goats making there way down the mountain so we decided tobe patient and wait them out. they goat to 334 yards, both our guns were on them waiting for them to get to the edge of te bluff. as we watch we are descussing a game plan. " if they get to the edge, well shoot and they should tumble down to us" well after about an hour they wen the other way.. ya thats what I thought. the other way!!! so pack up and try going up a different slide to make it to there elevation. so up we go we get 3/4 the way up and RHYNO is 20 yards to my right, I look up and at 100 yrds theres a goat. i get my gun laded and im looking at RHYNO asking for permission to shoot ( our previous arrangment was he shoots frst) he gave me the nod, I had the goat in the scope, t crosshairs are coming to his chest and he turns. 3 more seconds and he was done... we waited for 15 minutes but othing, we were as high as we could go and we got back into the ice we didnt wantto be in again. so back down to the creek. we were out of time for that day so started the 7 km snowshoe back out to the truck. that day we saw 15-20 different goats. it was a good day. the following day we left in the dark to get there for sunrise. today was cold, but made the hike in better. got o the goats and found he group we were after yesterday. BUT they were at the topof the mountain. it was our last day and ageed that if we didnt shoot by noonwe had to leave to get back to work. we watched all morning spotted 11 or so goats today but nothing that w could get too or shoot at. it was an awsome trip. the best way to ed the 2011 season and the best way to start the 2012 season. RHYNO is an excellent guy to hunt with and I will do tha trip again next year.

BCbillies
03-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the update . . . great to hear that you got onto goats and had opportunities. Crampons will serve you well for future late season goat hunts.

Rhyno
03-01-2012, 09:04 PM
This was my first goat hunt, but its certainly not going to be my last! Looking back, this has to be the most fun I have ever had on a hunt....I am hooked on goats, I have been dreaming about them! We could have shot the ones that were just over 300 yards, but we weren't positive we could retrieve them, in hind sight we could have but we made this right decision at the time. We were a little gun shy after the jam we got ourselves in that morning. I don't know if I've ever worked so hard hunting, or any other time for that matter, but it was extremely rewarding to show up to an area blind and find some animals. I definitely have to thank Chargerman69 for inviting me to go with him and teaching so much about goat hunting. I am glad I answered his personal ad in HBC. Now I've got a lot of gear to buy before Aug 1.

gerrygoat
03-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Looks like there are a few guys from Terrace on here :) glad you guys had a good hunt that is some rugged country you were in. Good call on not shooting when recovery was questionable. Good luck next time.

porcupine
03-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Congratulations on a good hunt and coming back safely. It can be really dangerous on the icy mountains, and goats are in bad enough country when there is no snow and ice. I'm sure you'll get your goat in the future.

kitnayakwa77
03-02-2012, 10:28 AM
sounds like it was an exciting hunt. Any pics?

chargerman69
03-02-2012, 12:01 PM
I will post pics when I can figure out how to do it again!!

chargerman69
03-02-2012, 12:09 PM
http://s1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj492/chargerman69/

chargerman69
03-02-2012, 12:10 PM
hopefully that worked. the goat was the day we left to stewart, the rest of the goats we saw were too far away for pics, they just blended in

TSW
03-02-2012, 02:14 PM
The link works. Thanks for posting pics and the story--those are some cool mounts. That's an awesome goat mount. And I've never seen a bear mount like that before, pretty cool and creative!!