PDA

View Full Version : Sheep pack

stones
02-22-2012, 05:43 PM
Can anyone help me out with any brands of good quality light weight packs for sheep hunting?

ryanshaw44
02-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Eberlestock! *%^$ing AUSOME packs!

ryanb
02-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Everyone drinks the mystery ranch koolaid here. Nice they are, lightweight they are not. For lightweight check out Kifaru Timbrrline, or high quality backpacking packs (ie arcteryx etc).

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
02-22-2012, 06:01 PM
not really a heavy hauler good weekend deer pack ....not a 10 day sheep pack..

plumbcrazy
02-22-2012, 06:09 PM
There is only ONE! The Wilderness Wanderer! The best.

fireguy
02-22-2012, 06:14 PM
I can remember going on two week backpack sheep hunts with my old external frame backpack, not even thinking twice about it. Almost all the packs these days are way better than the ones we used 15 years ago.

BlacktailStalker
02-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Kifaru G2 Longhunter is what I use.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-22-2012, 07:11 PM
not really a heavy hauler good weekend deer pack ....not a 10 day sheep pack..

I'll second that. Wouldn't do more than a couple of days with my j107 but it's best left to a day pack.

There is only ONE! The Wilderness Wanderer! The best.

Won't second that. Don't know if the old ones were better then the newer versions but I wouldn't "give" my WW to anyone that I liked. Enemies? Maybe.

Barneys are now using Kevlar bags and have shaved off some considerable weight compared to the old bags. Not sure what the specs are now. Need to go weigh it.

SSS

stoneguide
02-22-2012, 07:32 PM
I love my eberlestock pack. Longest hunt I've done so far was 10 days hunting sheep with it but had enough gear for the planned 14. Pack going in was 78lbs with rifle in scabbard and 2L water bladder. Once I get into camp I unzip my spike duffel off and it keeps a bunch of gear stored instead of having it loose. I've packed it a ton and have had no issues. Great for packing quarters with the mesh bag helping cool meat. Isn't a rifle system that beats it. Fast as having the rifle on your shoulder. Be all I own!
SG

stoneguide
02-22-2012, 07:33 PM
. .

bigwhiteys
02-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Barneys,Kifaru,KUIU,Mystery Ranch (in alphabetical order hahahaha)... Take your pick... At the end of the day, everybody has different gear and can shave weight in different places, that another guy might not... If you can come in 50-60lbs, including your rifle for a 7-10 day backpacking trip you're doing good no matter what pack you've chosen. None of these packs defy the force of gravity.

Carl

bruin
02-22-2012, 08:09 PM
I vote for Mystery Ranch. They've got all the best features except for weight and that's a sacrafice I'm willing to make.

warren0427
02-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Check out arcteryx packs. I picked up the bora 95 and really like it. Used it for one extended hunt and felt good and packed the 72 lbs well. Also it's a bit narrower then most hunting packs. I would recommend it.

BCHunterTV
02-22-2012, 08:32 PM
i totally agree! used one on my goat hunt

blaker_99
02-22-2012, 08:54 PM
After using my J107 for 2 sheep hunts, 3 goat hunt, and numerous elk and deer hunts I am extremely happy with its versatility. It can handle heavier loads of 60-70lbs decently but anything more than that and the internal aluminum supports become very weak. I would have to agree with SSS and say that they are a great day pack or at most 3-4 days pack but if you're going into sheep country i would not reccomend them. With your pack loaded up with 55-60lbs of gear plus sheep horns, cape and meat you're going to have to lean so far forward just to keep the backpack on your back. I'd suggest a pack like a Barney's if its in your budget or even the new Badlands external frame pack they are fairly decent price and have heard good things about them

Bchunter3006
02-22-2012, 08:58 PM
Check out the Eberlestock Destroyer and Battleship.

sherpa-Al
02-22-2012, 09:38 PM
I bought a MACPAC this year for backpacking goats. This pac is made in NZ but there are a couple suppliers over here. The internal frame pack is lighweight and nearly waterproof, has your typical adjustment straps, top and side cargo pouches with a multi-purpose external webbing pouch to hold a tent or mat. The thing I really liked about this pack is that I could order it not only to what torso size I needed but what bag volume I wanted as well. As far as actually packing it's as good or better than any other packs I've had, it's comfortable, got good padded shoulder straps, it's not too wide so it doesn't hang up in the bush and with and weight it seems to hug your back.
Definately recommended.

Al.

wiggy
02-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Can anyone help me out with any brands of good quality light weight packs for sheep hunting?

i built mine out of light weight aircraft aluminum. I use a arcteryx us military hipbelt (best belt there is), custom sewed some form fitting foam shoulder straps and back pad and have one me and friends think is the best pack there is. Still weighs about 7lbs but the thing can carry 150 lbs np if you can do it and 70 lbs is still 70 lbs but at least it doesnt hurt anywhere. I travel with a 45lb home plus my rifle and can hike anywhere without having the thing throw me around. Its virtually indestructable and didnt cost 300 bucks to build

ryanshaw44
02-22-2012, 10:11 PM
There are many high quality packs out there and it's going to be personal preference.. The one thing I like about Eberlestock packs is that you can throw your rifle in it. Which is nice for long hikes.( sure beats having your rifle on your shoulder all the time and trying to manage it). Although I don't have much experience with other packs. Every one will have pros and cons, just make sure to do your research and find what's suited for you.

REMINGTON JIM
02-22-2012, 10:26 PM
i built mine out of light weight aircraft aluminum. I use a arcteryx us military hipbelt (best belt there is), custom sewed some form fitting foam shoulder straps and back pad and have one me and friends think is the best pack there is. Still weighs about 7lbs but the thing can carry 150 lbs np if you can do it and 70 lbs is still 70 lbs but at least it doesnt hurt anywhere. I travel with a 45lb home plus my rifle and can hike anywhere without having the thing throw me around. Its virtually indestructable and didnt cost 300 bucks to build

Got any pics of it ? What are you using for a bag on it ? Where did you get the componets ? - eg hip belt- shoulder straps- back pad etc - Thks for the info ! RJ

ryanshaw44
02-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Although I just looked at MYTERY RANCH packs and they look SOLID. I really like the weapons carry pack. Might not be big enough for what your looking for. 4200 cu-in. Check them out.

2x4x16
02-22-2012, 10:34 PM

Sounds very cool, any pictures?

tikka79
02-22-2012, 11:15 PM
I have the Arcteryx Bora 95. It's had a couple of 90lb loads in it and its been great. An added plus is that its also waterproof.

ryanshaw44
02-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Arkteryk is another great brand! High quality. I have the Arkteryk naos for my rock climbing pack and its top notch.

bigwhiteys
02-22-2012, 11:24 PM

A frankenpack sounds cool... I have a MR a Barney and a Lowe Alpine internal and there are aspects of each pack that I'd like to mesh into one pack.

bosca
02-23-2012, 01:28 AM
Have only just begun the multiday pack hunts but I can tell you that for a 1-5 day trip the Eberlestock J34 handled 75 lbs very comfortably. The pack is very well thought out and versatile. The built in scabord is very nice but is almost unusable when you have a full load sinched in tight. The scabord feature is most useful when you are in daypack mode as this pack does condense down to a very nice day pack. Check out you tube for the information on all the packs talked about here...it will help visualize how you want to use the pack.
If you are after a real long haul pack and can afford to specialize than the J34 might not be for you.

The Hermit
02-23-2012, 01:36 AM
I like my Kuiu so far... do a search on this site for a review.

BromBones
02-23-2012, 08:58 AM
I like my Kuiu so far... do a search on this site for a review.

My cousin bought one last year and took it up for his archery stone's sheep hunt. Pretty decent pack, and very light. We never got to pack any meat out on that trip so he didn't get to test it under a full load. One thing that impressed me was the water resistant ability of the pack itself. He didn't take a rain cover and I figured the pack would be drenched inside, but the water beads off the material very well and it stayed dry inside.

I'll stick with my Badlands OX though. Not light (10 lbs) but it is rock solid and can handle a heavy load amazingly well.

pickaspot
02-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Mystery Ranch NICE 6500

Have used others (Arcteryx mainly) that work fine until it's time for heavy hauling. My MR makes 100 pounds MANAGEABLE!

mark
02-23-2012, 10:30 AM
I vote for Mystery Ranch. They've got all the best features except for weight and that's a sacrafice I'm willing to make.

A huge X2..... lots of packs may look or seem ok....the test is hauling a load over 100 lbs.....
anyone who thinks eberlestock packs should even be in this thread, has never tried on a MR nice pack!
Barneys a quality pack that can haul a load, but WAY to big a pack, non compressible, hence limited to certain terrain!
After 2 years with my MR, I feel sorry for any mountain hunter with any other pack!

budismyhorse
02-23-2012, 01:00 PM
if you like an external frame a lot of guys use Kelty Cache Haulers. Not that light but a great pack and a step up from the old camptrails moose bags.

Robert
02-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Tatonka packs a good, took out sheep and moose, good up to 150lb. River Sportsman in Campbell River i think still has them, phone to find out - paid $450. I heard other stores in Vancouver had them on sale for $250 recently.

huntcoop
02-23-2012, 02:24 PM
My MR is incredibly comfortable.

1/2 slam
02-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Kifaru G2 Longhunter is what I use.

X 2. I've used one for about 8 years. No complaints.

Ernie Scar
02-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Fairly new to this forum but I have some experience with some packs for extended sheep hunts here in Alaska where I live. I started off some of my earlier hunts with Cabela's backpacks and after I had some experience went to Kifaru and was in total shock at how great it was. I guess I didn't realize how bad the Cabela's pack was until I tried something else. After I wore out the Kifaru I did some more research and came across Mchale packs. I went ahead and purchased a Mchale pack and can say without a doubt that it is not only the best pack I've come across but probably the top piece of gear I own. My hunting partner started with a Kifaru, went to a Barneys, and is now running the Mystery Ranch. All three are great packs probably the best 3 best production packs available but I don't believe they're in the same league as the Dan Mchale pack.

willyqbc
02-26-2012, 05:38 PM
For all of you running the mystery ranch's......how are you packing your rifle???? I am also in the market for a pack and really like the idea of the Eberlestock scabbard, hands free carry but real quick to access. However for packing a heavy load the MR seems to get the nod......just wondering how you carry your rifle with one and is it quick to get at???

Thanks
Chris

bruin
02-26-2012, 05:46 PM
I usually use a sling or in my hands. Seems to be comfy over the shoulder like an African PH! But i also tend to use my gun as a walking stick. Ive also strapped It to the side using the pocket but it's not very accessible and your pack must be balanced properly for the extra weight on one side. I think if a guy had the desire you could design a quick release system for a side carry. Also, I believe kifaru has a carry system that can attach to various pack designs.

Blockcaver
02-26-2012, 05:56 PM
The Kifaru Gunbearer (GB) works well for me..........I carry my Hoyt bow in it and it is ready to load an arrow in a second. You carry the gun or bow out ahead of your shoulder and trekking poles are still usable too. I haven't backpacked with a gun in mine. Kifaru custom fits GBs to their specific packs and also sells a universal GB for other packs. Note that the old Kifaru bow specific carrier I got 10 years ago wasn't any good. Don't think they make it anymore but alot of folks use the GB.

kootenayslam
02-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Is anyone with a MR Nice frame or Kirafu G2 Longhunter 6'2 or over and have feedback, just wondering how it fits taller guys?

Rackmastr
02-26-2012, 07:44 PM
They do seem better suited for a 'shorter' type person. I'm 6' and my MR NICE frame fits me really well, but I'm not sure about taller heights.

If you ever wanted to try one out I'd be happy to let ya try one on for sizing and fit...

greenhorn
02-26-2012, 08:32 PM

I built my own too from an old internal frame harness system and an external frame from one of those old school externals. I made a meat hauling shelf out of aluminum so that it can swing down and out of the way when not in use. Still not totally happy with the bags I made, but I plan on fixing that soon with some gore-tex that a buddy gave me.

kootenayslam
02-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Rackmastr is your pack at the max adjustment?

Rackmastr
02-26-2012, 08:52 PM
No it has quite a bit of room to it actually.....I could probably measure where its at now and what it takes to max it out in terms of inches of travel in the yoke if you'd like...

kootenayslam
02-26-2012, 09:14 PM
rackmastr yeah i'd appreciate that, give me a good idea whether it'll work or not

pickaspot
02-26-2012, 09:40 PM
For all of you running the mystery ranch's......how are you packing your rifle???? I am also in the market for a pack and really like the idea of the Eberlestock scabbard, hands free carry but real quick to access. However for packing a heavy load the MR seems to get the nod......just wondering how you carry your rifle with one and is it quick to get at???

Thanks
Chris

http://vimeo.com/14015842

bruin
02-26-2012, 10:09 PM
rackmastr yeah i'd appreciate that, give me a good idea whether it'll work or not

http://www.mysteryranch.com/learn/how-to-size-your-pack

bigwhiteys
02-26-2012, 10:27 PM
For all of you running the mystery ranch's......how are you packing your rifle????

It's usually strapped to the side of the pack while hiking, hold it in my hands if I am hunting... works good for me.

MtnBoy
02-26-2012, 10:28 PM
The Yoke on the M.R is adjustable. It is basically 2 large pieces of velcro that you separate, then adjust, then push back together. This gives a good ability to make fine adjustment.