PDA

View Full Version : Gold River

Shuswap guy
02-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Howdy all. I usually fish the cowichan or stamp, but it's taken me quite a few years to learn the lay of the land. Now i realize that's fishing, but if anybody is willing to swap a couple of spots (not the honey holes of course) I'd be willing to listen. Could anybody with some tips PM me so don't waste the weekend stumbling around?
Thanks

steel_ram
02-21-2012, 08:02 AM
The Gold is a completely different kettle of fish than the Stamp/Cowichan wind-up rivers. Just below town a road to left (before the bridge) will access some nice runs. On the Hwy below town towards where the mill once was there are obvious pull overs and well trodden trails down into the Canyon pools. Heading N. of town towards Tahsis stay right after crossing the Gold. There are some good reasonably accessible runs in the few km below the Gold junction with the Muchalat.

I haven't been there in a while and would advise checking the regs. It's not a hard river to fish and there may even be maps or advise available there. Guides raft it but you'd certainly want to know what you are doing.

02-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Steel ram has pretty much said it, I'll shoot you a pm with some more specific info

Shuswap guy
02-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Much appreciated boys, thanks for the low-down. Will keep you posted on how it went.

steel_ram
02-21-2012, 10:18 PM
As for tackle, the usual float rigs, magnum goo's, jensen eggs etc. are the mainstay, but for the Gold I have also carried a spooning rod with great success. There are some big wide runs such as the one you come to beside the road downstream from town that can be covered better with a spoon, and Gold River fish respond to them like nowhere else on the island. A #55 Koho with a blue scale pattern (1150 blsc) was my favourite. Spooning a run after we'd thoroughly rubbed it with floatgear has pulled a few surprises.

Shuswap guy
02-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Nice! Thanks steel ram, I'm a believer of finishing my run with a blade as well. Have never tried the blue koho, usually a gold/silver gibbs. Will give it a try though. Thanks!