PDA

View Full Version : 2x4 moose pic's

NEEHAMA
10-17-2006, 11:39 AM
i didn't have a leh draw so i was in search of the phantom bull aka spike fork. on the second to last day of an eight day hunt we came around a corner and seen what appeared to be a cow and clave. we both hopped out of the truck and glassed em with the bino's. nervous of seeing two cow's ie. a small one and a large (not a calve) we took some time studing the animals. the smaller animal just didn't look small enough. it was still almost half the size of the cow. then i seen the fork antler! i asked my partner to confirm. "have a look at the little ones head again".i asked. he glassed it. "it's an immature bull!" he replyed. i picked up my 300 win mag. the moose slowly started to turn and walk into the tree line. it was quartering away from us so i put one a little back not to damage the front right shoulder. we lost sight after the shot. it was only about 175yards. and the shot felt good. we poured a coffee and waited about 25 minuets. then we spread out and headed into the trees. my partner found the bull about 12 feet from where i shot it. dead 2x4 immy. nice shot no meat damage. and little! after we gutted it we could slide it around no problem. we loved it!

NEEHAMA
10-17-2006, 11:39 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/NEE_S_SWEET_MULLET_MOOSE_FIRST_ONE.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3381&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

talver
10-17-2006, 11:58 AM
good job thats going to be some great eating this winter

brotherjack
10-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Congrats on the moose. :)

moose55
10-17-2006, 12:28 PM
immy. spike fork bull. doesnt it have to two by three to shoot it . i could be wrong but just going by regs. they allways show 2by3 . moose55.

Marc
10-17-2006, 12:31 PM
I think it's as long as one antler only has two points or less it's legal.

Ride
10-17-2006, 12:48 PM
2 points on one side is all you need. hell it could be a 2 by 12 and be legal.

NEEHAMA
10-17-2006, 12:52 PM
page 04 reg's- key word is "one"
quote- "spike fork bull- means a bull moose have no more than two tines on ONE antler".

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2006, 01:02 PM
Guys, it is ESSENTIAL that you know the regs THOROUGHLY before you head out hunting. There is so much conjecture and misinformation on the "spike-fork" definition. The definition clearly states that it need only be two or less tines ON ONE ANTLER to be legal. The other antler can have 20 tines. There is NO reference to "immature" bulls in the regulations. The bull can be 10 years old and be legal.

Please spend some time in the "front" pages of the regs and learn all the definitions and the "it is unlawful to..." section. From what I've read on this site, too many "hunters" are looking up the open seasons for their regions and hitting the bush. That's just plain irresponsible on their part. They even call the front pages of the regs "Before Your Hunt". Read it!

From page 4:

Moose - Spike-fork Bull - means a bull
moose having no more than two tines on
one antler. (Includes tines on main antler
and brow palms.).

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2006, 01:09 PM
By the way Neehama, congratulations on a great looking spike-fork bull moose! He looks yummy!

BCrams
10-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Fisherdude - "Guys, it is ESSENTIAL that you know the regs THOROUGHLY before you head out hunting."

Do you personally recall reading anything about cuttin' trails (clearing) into your hunting area for deer for your quads in the regs? :lol:

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Fisherdude - "Guys, it is ESSENTIAL that you know the regs THOROUGHLY before you head out hunting."

Do you personally recall reading anything about cuttin' trails (clearing) into your hunting area for deer for your quads in the regs? :lol:

Yup. The regs say ya can't do it. It's a part of the Forest Act, not the Wildlife Act. I wonder if the Western Canada Wilderness Committee got the correct permits for the High Rim trail before they built it? Rumour was they didn't.

I think a deer hunter who cuts blowdowns off a deactivated logging skid road to get through is still within the spirit of the Forest Act. :tongue: Might want to have a firewood permit in your back pocket when ya do, though, just to be on the "safe side"! :rolleyes:

When are you coming down here for a ride up some of those roads? SSS can double ya on the back of his Enduro. :lol:

Elkhound
10-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Great moose, I wish I saw one just like him last week

BCrams
10-17-2006, 01:33 PM
When are you coming down here for a ride up some of those roads? SSS can double ya on the back of his Enduro. :lol:

You mean to tell me SSS is actually a road hunter like you are ? :lol:

NEEHAMA
10-17-2006, 01:34 PM
thanks, i'm real happy about it. i'm going to eat some tenderloins tonight!

twoSevenO
10-17-2006, 01:42 PM
is that a mullet i see under the cap there ?

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2006, 01:48 PM
You mean to tell me SSS is actually a road hunter like you are ? :lol:

Since he got the Enduro (or "Dual-Sport" as he prefers to call it) he hasn't lifted his ass off the seat. At least I get off the quad to take a leak! :lol:

NEEHAMA
10-17-2006, 02:13 PM
"BUSINESS IN THE FRONT AND A PARTY IN THE REAR'!
johnny and i are also western canadian reps for Mullett Hunters of North America....lol

Will
10-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Yummy.......:)
Congrats8)

BCrams
10-17-2006, 04:04 PM
johnny and i are also western canadian reps for Mullett

We know people like to mimic Elvis but come on......trying to emulate Billy-Ray Cirus is getting a little tacky don't you think :lol:

Even Will got with the times.

twoSevenO
10-17-2006, 04:10 PM
"BUSINESS IN THE FRONT AND A PARTY IN THE REAR'!
johnny and i are also western canadian reps for Mullett Hunters of North America....lol

yeah , except that seems like not enough business and waaaaay too much party

:lol: :lol:

NEEHAMA
10-17-2006, 04:44 PM
don't knock it till ya try it. lucky mullett hat got me a moose!

ellellbee
10-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Speaking of reading the regs, before you transport that spike fork, read! It's a bit confusing but the transporting game section doesn't say that the antlers have to accompany the carcass but..... elsewhere in the regs, on a different page, there is a small box with that information in it. Pays to read it all.

browningboy
10-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Nice bull man, as for the confusion on a spike, how can there be , its spelled out clearly.:lol:

Caveman
10-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Great job Neehama !!! Guys stay posted, I put a call into the Gov. to get their twist on the spike-fork definition. Unfortunately, anyone who could answer my question are at a meeting in PG. Probably on a company hunting trip.:wink: :roll:

BCrams
10-17-2006, 07:17 PM
As it is right now:

The regulation was set up for immature bulls. However.....

As long as one antler has 2 points or less, it is legal to shoot. You can have a bull that is 2 points x 7 points and it will be a legal bull.

Even from a personal standpoint - we could have shot an obvious mature bull a couple years ago that had a screwed up antler on one side that was a 2 foot spike and the other had palmation. We did not shoot the bull ....... however it was perfectly legal to do so.....but those instances are rare as hens teeth.

Caveman
10-17-2006, 07:23 PM
They should either give a picture with a palmation and seven points with the other pictures or clarify the definition. IMHO

30-06
10-17-2006, 07:28 PM
nice lookin moose..gotta get my self one here soon.

BCrams
10-17-2006, 07:57 PM
They should either give a picture with a palmation and seven points with the other pictures or clarify the definition. IMHO

No point and its not needed. Moose like that are pretty rare as it is. If changes were ever to occur, it would strictly be 2 x 3 or less (period). I don't forsee this happening as the existing regulation has been around for quite some time and its easy to interpret.

Bottom line: If you're unsure of your target, don't shoot.

Thunderstix
10-18-2006, 07:09 AM
That is my favorite kind of moose.