PDA

View Full Version : In Memory:.....Dad's Mulie Buck

Brambles
02-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Here's a couple pictures of my dad's first mulie buck, shot back in the mid to late 80's. He moved the Family from Prince George to Nelson in 1980 because Trail had a real good Renal Unit and my mom's family was in the area. Dad's Renal failure started when he was 19 and by 23 both Kidney's were completely shut down. He was already married to mom and my brother was a couple years old. They were unsure if he was gonna live to see me born, he was 100 lbs. If he was to die, I would have been named after him.

When he moved us to Nelson he worked hard at a full time job, built a house, all the while driving back and forth from Nelson to Trail for Renal Dialysis 3 days per week.

After the house was built he hiked mountains to build his muscle back up and taught himself how to hunt, he hunted a small amount in PG but mostly Ducks.

Because of his passion for the mountains he also developed a passion for mulie hunting, took him a few years to get in the groove and because of this he swore he was gonna mount the first Mulie he shot.

Unfortunatly as his hunting career was forced to slow down due to compounding health issues, mine was just starting and we never got to hunt much together, the times that we did are, and forever will be, my fondest moments.

After over 30 years of fighting Renal Disease dad had to take one last journey, one last solo backpack trip of sorts if you will. After he passed I was given his Mulie mount. I went to Mom's and picked it up the other day and put it up in my house.

RIP dad, I think about you always and I know your there with me in the mountains.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0774-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0782.jpg

Foxton Gundogs
02-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks for shareing I know your feelings.

calvin L
02-20-2012, 12:14 PM
That young man is a tribute to what sound slike a hell of a man .Knowing you and your brother, the apples did not drop far from the tree

calvin L

Ourea
02-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Very touching Bram's.
I am sure your story touches a cord with many with their personally experiences.

Every time you look at that mount I am sure your head and heart with be filled with many great memories and emotions. Great way to remember him by and keep him in your thoughts.

Caveman
02-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Nice Tribute Jeff!

BlacktailStalker
02-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Nice tribute to your dad, I'm sure he's proud of you too.

Philcott
02-20-2012, 12:30 PM
May he rest in piece now.

That's an awesome piece to hang on your wall in tribute to your Dad.

Deeboe
02-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Thats a fine buck! Touching story about your pops.... glad to hear you have some great memories to remember him by. Was that buck shot near trail do you know??

Weatherby Fan
02-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Outstanding Story, thanks for sharing
WF

Deaddog
02-20-2012, 12:51 PM
that is classy....good work and you will enjoy that mount for years to come and the memorys that go with it..

Rodd
02-20-2012, 12:58 PM
The mount will serve as a rememberance piece for many years in the future! Thanks for sharing! Makes me cherish the time I have left with my Father!

bowhunterbruce
02-20-2012, 01:00 PM
a small way of remembering someone as great as a good father,
I'm sure every memory of every moment are reflected within this beautiful buck everytime you look at it.
great place to hang it
bhb

5 spike
02-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Awesome that is all i have to say.

Blainer
02-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Great Share!!
"10"

kootenayelkslayer
02-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Pretty cool Jeff, that's a great way to honour your pops. That mount will look great in your place for many years to come.

Nathaniel Poe
02-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Great tribute to your dear ol'dad. Looks great.

doubled
02-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Instant reminder of a father to a son cannot be more fitting than what you have. Well done, I can only hope to be as lucky. Thanks for the story.

Tikka270
02-20-2012, 02:10 PM
One heck of a mulie and an awesome way to remember your dad, thanks for sharing.

Sitkaspruce
02-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Classy words Jeff!!!

The mount and memories will last for ever!!!

Cheers

SS

Brett
02-20-2012, 02:28 PM
brings a tear to my eye, Hope my kids one day will remember the good times...

weatherby_man
02-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Great post!!

For those of us who've lost our Dads the memories just came flooding back. For those of you who still have your fathers around give them a hug and tell them how much you appreciate them.

arcadia
02-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks for sharing. I was never close to my Dad. We did not get along. I didn't like his criticism. I avoided him. When my Dad died in 1993 it was not a really big tragedy to me. You were blessed by a good Dad. My Dad tried but did not have the social parenting skills. Count yourself blessed. Sounds like his life was short but rich.

.300 R.U.M. Grizzly
02-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Great post! Thanks for sharing. I sure miss my dad. He was my hunting partner for many years.

bigslim
02-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Touching tribute

A tip of the hat to all Dads very important part of a mans life.

ncurrie
02-20-2012, 03:39 PM
awesome tribute to your dad, sorry for your loss:(

REMINGTON JIM
02-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Very Touching storey ! Missing my Dad since 2002 too ! He was a great hunting partner ! RJ

oldkoot
02-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. I unfortunatly know exactly how you feel. My Dad's " Mulie " hangs downstairs with the rest of my critters. Except it is a 15 3/4 # rainbow caught on the fly with 4 # test.
Every time I look at it, a memory of the great times we had comes to me. Enjoy them while you have them, becuase it is never long enough.

RENO
02-20-2012, 04:14 PM
I know the feeling well, our parents continue to live through us, and vice/versa, the buck is magnificent and it took a great hunter to find it, great memory,thanks for sharing, God Bless.

Everett
02-20-2012, 04:52 PM
That simple story brought tears to my eyes I also never got to hunt with my father do to illness so realy understand were your coming from. One of my fathers happiest days is when I brought a rabbit home at 14 that I had snared and he got show me how to clean it. His hands were so swollen with arthritis that he could barely grip the fur our the knife but man was he happy. I will bet you will enjoy that mount more than any of your own.

35 Whelen
02-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks for sharing Jeff.....he would be proud to know your thoughts.

Brambles
02-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Thats a fine buck! Touching story about your pops.... glad to hear you have some great memories to remember him by. Was that buck shot near trail do you know??

No, not near Trail

brings a tear to my eye, Hope my kids one day will remember the good times...

I hope as you do, I see soo many EFF'd up kids out there and all I can hope is if I try and raise them how my father raised me, hopefully they won't turn out bad.

That simple story brought tears to my eyes I also never got to hunt with my father do to illness so realy understand were your coming from. One of my fathers happiest days is when I brought a rabbit home at 14 that I had snared and he got show me how to clean it. His hands were so swollen with arthritis that he could barely grip the fur our the knife but man was he happy. I will bet you will enjoy that mount more than any of your own.

I had my youngest son on my lap while writing it up, at times it was getting tough to see the computer screen, I think I had something in my eye......but its good for the soul.

pronghorn
02-20-2012, 05:36 PM
That is a great tribute to your father and an outstanding story,thanks for sharing

BCrams
02-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Good tribute Brambles and the mount will give you a great memory to go by.

SHAKER
02-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Good write up Jeff.... Hey you and your brother always have a friend a little west of ya! Nice muley too!

bosca
02-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Brambles...Sounds like your dad had an incredible drive to live his life well and to leave a legacy for you...You are a blessed man.
My Dad is 81 now and he is still my #1 hunting partner (tough as nails)...

Don't even want to think about how its going to feel but my heart definitely goes out.

And what a great buck.!
Thanks

Stone Sheep Steve
02-20-2012, 08:17 PM
Excellent tribute, Jeff. Your Father would be very proud that he raised such an appreciative son.:)

While my Dad is still alive and we've done "some" hunting together, we both missed out on most of each other's hunting careers.

When I moved my brother out of his house after his divorce, I'm glad I couldn't leave Dad's muley behind for the new owners of the house. Dad never considered mounting anything but my brother saved one set of antlers of his from the 70's and his ex wife had them mounted for him. It now resides in my bedroom.

SSS

Big G Hunter
02-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Great story. Looks great with the lights. Awesome shadows, looks like a real brute.

killman
02-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Like.......................:)

Rattler
02-20-2012, 08:52 PM
That is a great tribute to your Dad Jeff.

You can be certain he is with you on all your adventures, especially last year when we connected on those two bull elk. Although you didn't get to hunt much with your Dad he taught you some important lessons that are fundamental to successful hunting, such as patience, planning and attention to detail.

I always treasure my hunts with my Dad and consider myself very lucky to be raised the way I was...

Cheers to some more great hunts together...

Ken

tuner
02-20-2012, 09:24 PM
a touching tribute,well done.

greybark
02-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Very well expressed , great tribute Brambles .

Ambush
02-20-2012, 10:44 PM
My wife has worked in renal services for many years, here in PG. Tonight she recalled doing some runs for him, in the evenings, years ago.

He was here for the BC Summer Games!!

He was what they call a "Shining Star" in the renal world.

He was obviously a Shining Star in your life to.

bearass
02-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Great tribute Jeff, what a great family air loom to remember your dad by.

Brambles
02-20-2012, 10:51 PM
My wife has worked in renal services for many years, here in PG. Tonight she recalled doing some runs for him, in the evenings, years ago.

He was here for the BC Summer Games!!

He was what they call a "Shining Star" in the renal world.

He was obviously a Shining Star in your life to.

Yes he was up in the BC summer games shooting for Canada. That was a long time ago.
Both his sisters still live in PG, and obviously you know of his niece and nefew's

hunter1947
02-21-2012, 05:03 AM
This is very nice to have this mule deer on your wall that was once your dads ,every time you look at this mule deer your dad will be in your thoughts good on you for having it where it belongs http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.png..

sawmill
02-21-2012, 05:18 AM
A nice tribute indeed.I have a real nice whitie rack from the buck I shot the morning my father died of a heart attack.I mounted it and it hangs on my kitchen wall where I can see it every morning.

375 ultramag
02-21-2012, 06:27 AM
Thats a great way to remember your dad, He's with you every day.

bigben
02-21-2012, 09:31 AM
A beautiful tribute to your memories of your dad my dads whitetail which we shot together and my whitetail which I shot the year he passed on sits in the game room above my t v and two of his pictures are beside it thanks for sharing

Walking Buffalo
02-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Now that's a "trophy". :)

Well done Brambles. Your Dad is proud.

rockdog
02-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Great tribute, beautiful buck.

WKCotts
02-21-2012, 10:55 PM
pretty awesome brambles, your dad would be proud

Mr. Dean
02-22-2012, 01:07 AM
Bram's, this is cool.
All to often, taxidermy of a deceased loved one goes neglected and over-looked, or wores, in the dump.

Having no kids, I struggle with what my stuff will become...

Longbranch
02-22-2012, 09:53 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like you were very close.
Geoff
victoria,BC.

Wild Images
02-22-2012, 12:39 PM
Hey Jeff
You said that you were waiting for a mule buck that was worthy of going on the wall, Looks like you found one :cool:

Ken

MOUNTAIN MAN - TOYOTA/ATV
02-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Your Dad would be proud of you. Nice memories and heartfelt thoughts.

Mugger
02-23-2012, 09:13 PM
My dad and his four brothers have also passed on, all great outdoorsmen, we reflect back on stories they have told us and the hardships they faced. The equipment they used vs today. That buck is such a small part I am sure of the big picture I am so glad you have it to look at every day to bring back those memories, Cary on, Living The Dream.

snowhunter
02-23-2012, 10:48 PM
I was very touch by your story of your wonderful fathers will to fight against all odds. I find your memory of your father inspiring, Thanks for sharing.

markt308
02-24-2012, 05:01 PM
i'm glad you shared this. makes me really want to make sure that I appreciate all the time I get to spend with my dad. Good on you for loving your family and proudly displaying that great buck. cheers