PDA

View Full Version : Do you eat deer liver?

dawn2dusk
10-17-2006, 09:22 AM
I tried it last year along with the heart and kidneys. Was pretty tastey. Lots of gravy, bacon, onions, and mashed potato yum

rocksteady
10-17-2006, 09:26 AM
Nope...Thats a treat for my dogs...Boy does it make them fart !!!

ratherbefishin
10-17-2006, 09:36 AM
you bet I do-slice it, trim it and soak it salt water over night,dry, dredge in seasoned flour then LIGHTLY fry it in bacon fat with onions.Use the heart, tongue and kidneys for steak and kidney pie.

Elkhound
10-17-2006, 09:58 AM
I love liver......yummmmmmy

Marc
10-17-2006, 10:23 AM
I love liver as well and the heart. You can have the piss filters :biggrin:

brotherjack
10-17-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm with Rocksteady on this one - dog food (and it makes mine fart something awful too!). I've tried liver soaked in salt water overnight, fried with onions and such like most folks say to do it - didn't like it. I though it was some of the nastiest stuff I ever ate, truth be told. I couldn't even finish a small serving of it.

Elk heart is pretty good. Never tried kidneys or such - and no desire to do so.

rocksteady
10-17-2006, 10:42 AM
I forgot to add my reasoning...When you own 2 Rottis, cumulative weight of almost 300 lbs. you gotta throw them something once in a while to make sure they know I am allowed in my yard...I do cook it prior to giving it to them though..

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2006, 10:42 AM
It depends on the season. An early season buck has really tastey liver. When I fried up last season's Nov 16 whitetail liver, the dog had a feast after I had one bite.

mikek blacktail
10-17-2006, 10:43 AM
I love it but won't eat it any more

Caveman
10-17-2006, 10:58 AM
Not a liver guy, but a little heart now and then is great. Never got over being fed it as a kid I guess. Beef liver that is, have tried Moose liver but still don't much care for it.

brotherjack
10-17-2006, 11:12 AM
I forgot to add my reasoning...When you own 2 Rottis, cumulative weight of almost 300 lbs. you gotta throw them something once in a while to make sure they know I am allowed in my yard...I do cook it prior to giving it to them though..

LOL - ditto on all of the above, except mine are giant German Sheperhds. My 8 month old pup is nearing the 30" at the shoulder mark. ;)

mainland hunter
10-17-2006, 11:21 AM
heart and liver are the best parts of the whole animal imo

Murder
10-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Guts stay in the bush...yuck. Until the day I am starving, that is where they will be from my kills.

bigwhiteys
10-17-2006, 12:03 PM
I don't eat the liver... I've shot a few older bucks that were ridden with tumors inside. Big nasty looking growths on their organs. It turns me off trying it. The gutpile I leave is a gift to the ravens, bears, coyotes or whatever else decides to eat it.

Has anyone else ever noticed the tumors on Deer before?

Happy Hunting!
Carl

brotherjack
10-17-2006, 12:07 PM
bigwhiteys: nope, never shot a deer that wasn't healthy. I have got the odd rabbit with dark lungs from time to time though..

Elkhound
10-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Has anyone else ever noticed the tumors on Deer before?

Happy Hunting!
Carl

We butcher our own meat. We always find cysts through out the meat (tumors?)
If a butcher is running it through a saw or grinding it up for sausage, don't kid yourself, you are eating those too.
Have not found any on the organs as of yet. If I found growths on the liver I would not eat it. But so far so good, healthy liver I will eat any day

rocksteady
10-17-2006, 12:11 PM
I know that when I lived on the Island (Port McNeill), there was an outbreak of "liver flukes", which are a gray cysts on the liver, allegedly transmitted in areas that have a high wolf population...Got one buck that had em, left it for the crows (the liver that is)

bruno
10-17-2006, 12:56 PM
heart and liver are the best parts of the whole animal imo

I have to agree.

Caveman
10-17-2006, 01:59 PM
bruno & mainland, I'll keep you in mind. Next time I'll bring it out for you. But of course you'll have bring out the steaks for the rest of us :lol:

ohno
10-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Liver stays in the bush. I like to feed the locals.

Will
10-17-2006, 03:13 PM
The Liver is the only thing I dive into the Gut Pile to get ! :)
Served up with some Fava beans and a nice Chianti.....:lol:

Wildman
10-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Nope, my partners do but I do not eat the liver myself.

ellellbee
10-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Not a liver fan, so the dog gets it. There are lots of recipes for liver dog treats on the internet. Drying strips in a dehydrater makes great liver chews for the dog.

The 'Hummer'
10-17-2006, 04:56 PM
No!! I've never been that hungry.:frown: I do carefully check it when I'm field dressing the game, after which I usually leave it on a stump for 'seed'. I put liver in the same food group as cooked spinach. There are three basic parts to an animal, hide, meat and guts and I'm only interested in one. :wink: Meat.:smile: :smile:

RBH
10-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Liver stays in the bush. I like to feed the locals.

Exactly - except when I am in the bush I am the local. 8) Love to eat deer liver -- it is our traditional celebration meal after getting an animal. Lightly fried in butter with lots of sauteed onions and mashed potatoes, it is great way to end the day. Maybe not for everyone, but I like it. Now that I think about it, there was that scene in Rosemary's Baby....maybe I should try that recipe.:twisted:

Islandeer
10-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Liver,onions and bacon, a camp tradition.

Bow Walker
10-17-2006, 05:29 PM
I love liver as well and the heart. You can have the piss filters :biggrin:
Marc - don't you know the sure fire way to cook kidneys??

First off, you got to cut them in medium-large sized diced cubes. Then get a medium sized sauce pan, filled to the 2/3 rd mark with slightly salted warm water. Stir to dissolve the salt completely and bring to a medium rolling boil.

Add the diced kidneys (your choice as to breed) and gently but firmly........

BOIL THE PISS OUT OF THEM!! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_2_126.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYJOCA)

Then enjoy with with your sliced and pan-fried liver and onions. Smother the whole works in gravy and cover with ketchup.:twisted:

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZSYYYYYYJOCA (http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb113_ZSYYYYYYJOCA&utm_id=7921)

Caveman
10-17-2006, 06:44 PM
BOIL THE PISS OUT OF THEM!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pour yourself a good stiff drink and choke it down or best idea yet Leave it in the bush

chevy
10-17-2006, 06:55 PM
I like straight and flats answer LEAVE IT IN THE BUSH i tried it once and i tell ya i could shi# through the eye of a needle at 100 yards when i was done and my but was on fire for 2 days after so i will never eat that again

mainland hunter
10-17-2006, 07:04 PM
i can see why some dont like liver, but i bet if you try the heart youll change your mind. dice em and fry em in butter with seasoning salt pepper and chives. great appy's. ive got lots of people onto that stuff, its great. why waste it. mmm

Caveman
10-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Not that I am any kind of biologist, but when you consider the function of the liver, no wonder it tastes like SH*T. I am not surprised the heart tastes great.

mark
10-17-2006, 07:58 PM
I eat heart and liver and love it!

stanway
10-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Not for me. I don't like internal organs - I like to leave them for the other critters in the bush.

:)

J_T
10-18-2006, 07:21 AM
Deer liver is great tasting when prepared right. Elk liver (in my experience) generally has liver flukes in it. The only thing a hunter has to watch for is the area of the province you harvest in. Keep in mind the function of the liver.

If you harvest in an area like the the West Kootenay (Region 4) there is an abundance of Arsenic occuring naturally in the ground and ground water. These animals (if they are of any age) have spent a life injesting arsenic rich foods and water. All of this arsenic stays in the liver.

When you eat the liver, you are getting a high dose of arsenic.

There are areas of the province where I'm thinking liver might not be the best thing to eat.

JT

dawn2dusk
10-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Hey JT - what you think about liver from around osoyoos? any mines or sources of contamination around that part?

This is interesting to see that the majority of hunters dont eat the liver.

dawn2dusk
10-18-2006, 08:36 AM
Who's got a good recipe for liver? heard some guys talk about soaking in saltwater overnight etc.

The 'Hummer'
10-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Who's got a good recipe for liver? heard some guys talk about soaking in saltwater overnight etc.

I think all that does is 'screw up' the salt water.:lol: Actually I believe it helps disolve the residual blood. Guys on our hunting trips have also used milk, but again, I think all that was accomplished was to waste the milk.;)

NEEHAMA
10-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Boil the liver with three medium size rock's for 6 hours. then after drain the water, throw out the liver and eat the rocks!....lol (that one never get's old for me).

too strong for me, however i will pan fry a some thin slices of heart w garlic and seasoning. *now rabbit stew on the other hand is the shizzle.
tried that for the first time on thursday.

J_T
10-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Hey JT - what you think about liver from around osoyoos? any mines or sources of contamination around that part?

Pretty much anywhere that you have a base metal or precious metal mine you are going to find a level of arsenic in the soils/water. I don't know what the Highland valley mine produces, and there is the old Brenda mine, the Nickle Plate mine and all of Headley.

I am somewhat connected to the mining industry and many an expert has told me they would never eat the liver of a wild animal.

Having said that, for years I ate liver. The best preparation was to first skin the liver. There is a very thin membrane that can be peeled away from it. Then just cut it into strips and fry it with some pepper and "Catalina" salad dressing. Awesome.

JT

oldtimer
10-18-2006, 04:52 PM
I love liver and the heart. As a matter of fact I will be having moose liver stroganoff tomorrow nite. As to the heart, you can serve it stuffed or when I went to WillyQ's one nite for supper he had sliced the heart into about 1" slices then marinated them and BBQ'd them and I am here to tell you they were GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just my 2 cents Mike

tooty
10-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Try soaking the liver in milk for awhile .Its some old newfie thing,draws out the blood abit,taste good .But rutting bucks liver can be alittle on the crappy side.

dawn2dusk
10-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Try soaking the liver in milk for awhile .Its some old newfie thing,draws out the blood abit,taste good .But rutting bucks liver can be alittle on the crappy side.

Well thanks for all the dialogue on this thread. I am going to try the liver tomorrow night. Soak it in milk tonight. Cook with rocks tomorrow. Going to watch the Vancouver hockey game and have a game buffet. Couple other buddies are coming over and bringing a chunk of moose they got a couple weeks ago north of PG.

My deer liver is from a very young buck (spike) from last week so I figure it should be prime. Almost calf like.

I figure how often do I eat liver? Heck once a year aint gonna hurt me more than the case of beer I;m gonna drink along with it :lol:

I like the heart alot, was dissappointed when I was dressin deer out that and found the heart had taken a direct hit and was mush.

Last year we darred our buddy to eat a testy of a mulie buck. He cooked it up and ate :eek: . Now thats crude! Anyone else done that???? any takers?

browningboy
10-19-2006, 08:15 PM
I would have to be pretty drunk just to think about it especially when people are bringing up tumor, cysts, YUK!

Will
10-19-2006, 10:00 PM
...eat a testy of a mulie buck. He cooked it up and ate :eek: . Now thats crude! Anyone else done that???? any takers?
Never Eaten a Testicle from Anything.......I don't plan to Niether:|

Krico
10-19-2006, 10:24 PM
I do not eat anything which filters poisons out of the bloodstream or digestive system, so liver is most definitely out. Just my personal choice.

jaeger
10-19-2006, 10:47 PM
I eat liver, heart and tongue so far from moose & deer. I boil the tongue & heart in a broth then make a sauce from the broth thickened with flour,
add cream dill white wine mushrooms and sauteed onions. slice meat and toss in sauce.

7mmag
10-20-2006, 07:10 AM
[quote=dawn2dusk]Hey JT - what you think about liver from around osoyoos? any mines or sources of contamination around that part?

Arsnic is a natural occering eliment in many rock types has nothing to do with wether thiers a mine there or not. (sorry the minner in me talking)

I leave the organs for the cyotes then I shoot them:lol:

MichelD
10-20-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm shocked that 52 percent of you don't eat the liver. But to each his own I guess.

It is such a treat to eat fresh venison liver after a successful hunt. I love it and always have.

It is great rolled in flour lightly spiced with salt, pepper and marjoram, then fried and served with fried onions and apples with rice or mashed potatoes.

REDGREEN
10-20-2006, 12:22 PM
AAAAAAHHHH! Fresh liver! With fried onions and fried potatoes. Touch my plate and lose an arm!

The 'Hummer'
10-20-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm shocked that 52 percent of you don't eat the liver. But to each his own I guess.

It is such a treat to eat fresh venison liver after a successful hunt. I love it and always have.

It is great rolled in flour lightly spiced with salt, pepper and marjoram, then fried and served with fried onions and apples with rice or mashed potatoes.

I'm kinda' a fan of FRAM oil filters, but I don't want to eat one!!;)

browningboy
10-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Not to sound cranky but why is there a poll on eating liver? Some people will enjoy and others not but whats with the guy that eats fresh testes! Need some breathmints after that!LOL.

mntman
10-21-2006, 02:25 PM
no pumps and filters thanks

oldtimer
10-21-2006, 03:43 PM
Just the other night I had a feed of moose liver stroganoff. Bloody delicious. Took some to work and nuked it for lunch---still good. Mike

Doug
10-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Interesting thread, folks.

You will note (read all the posts again if you don't believe me) that most folks who will not eat deer liver have never tried it and do not intend to do so. Most of the folks who do eat deer liver HAVE tried it and liked it and intend to continue eating it.

My experience is 100% Ontario whitetail deer liver (and heart, which is fabulous). As a general rule, the liver is quite good. Exceptions are older bucks, and especially during the rut or if they are swamp bucks. SMELL the raw liver - if it smells sweet, it is good to eat. If it smells "off" it is not good to eat.

Take the liver, COOL IT (highly important, or you will get a liver that smells "off"), and when you get back to camp or your house or whatever, give it a good rinse with cold fresh water, then slice it as thin as you can - I use a filleting knife for this. Place the slices in a bowl of milk overnight (I do not ever use salt water, as I found that it toughens the liver).

In the morning when you are cooking brunch after the hunt, or the next night for supper, lay the slices of liver out on a plate or cutting board and season them with seasoning salt and garlic powder (and onion powder, pepper, etc whatever you like for seasonings). Throw the bloody milk away, it has done its job. Shake the liver slices in flour to give them a very light flour coating. Then get a frying pan nice and hot with cooking oil (I tend not to use butter or bacon fat, both of them tend to burn and smoke), and pan-fry the thin slices just enough to sear them on both sides, the inside should be just cooked, and slightly pink. Serve hot - with sides of fried onions, bacon, whatever you like - and this is a fabulous meal. If you like a condiment with your meat, it is hard to beat HP "Fruity" Sauce with deer liver.

So what you eat is determined largely by what is between your ears. Ain't no way I am eating kidneys, since I can't get my head around that, same thing for brain, and I am not fond of tongue - but I don't chuck shit at guys who do eat those organs. I used to hunt with a bunch of guys who were born in the Phillipines - they used to take the lungs and make a soup of them! Not my idea of tasty, but they sure enjoyed it. They also took the buck's penis and testicles for an aphrodisiac - and I say, to each his own.

Liver is fabulous, but reading my little account is not going to change the notion somebody has that liver = guts. Right?

Doug

kevan
10-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Totally enjoy deer liver & heart, and with regard to "dog farts ", can't speak for other people's dogs, but I firmly believe that simply breathing air will make my dog "break wind " !!

tooty
10-21-2006, 07:01 PM
When we were hunting FT. saint james, Babine side.The natives would come by camp and ask if they could have the moose snout.We said hell ya have at it.They said they just boiled it and the kids ate it up like candy.

kutenay
10-21-2006, 07:04 PM
I have eaten dozens of deer livers and it has not done me any harm, however, I also have two Rottweilers, my "little" guy, Axel at 120 lbs on the vet's scales and his bro', Woden at 160 lbs. These guys are from Krusenhaus Kennels in Langley and are spoiled rotten as my wife and I have no children, so, the livers, etc..............GONE!

The 'Hummer'
10-21-2006, 08:18 PM
I have eaten dozens of deer livers and it has not done me any harm, however, I also have two Rottweilers, my "little" guy, Axel at 120 lbs on the vet's scales and his bro', Woden at 160 lbs. These guys are from Krusenhaus Kennels in Langley and are spoiled rotten as my wife and I have no children, so, the livers, etc..............GONE!

Good Man!! But don't cheat, let the dogs have it all. There are sacrifices that we are called on to make from time to time. Let this be your contribution.:lol: 'tis better to give than receive and in this example I firmly that to be true.:wink:

lip_ripper00
10-21-2006, 08:29 PM
When we were hunting FT. saint james, Babine side.The natives would come by camp and ask if they could have the moose snout.We said hell ya have at it.They said they just boiled it and the kids ate it up like candy. ya but you have to boil the snot out of it:rolleyes: ok ok I' leaving

NightOwl74
10-22-2006, 03:05 AM
Don't eat stuff with tubes, filters or pumps. Friggin nasty. Just the smell in the kitchen would make me wanna toss.:(

dawn2dusk
10-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Cooked up the liver on Friday. Had a couple buddies over. Was excellent. Took the advice from this post about preparing. Was amazed at how much blood came out when rinsing. SLiced real thin and rinsed again and again. Soaked in milk overnight. Then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed again. THen I followed this recipe. It was awesome. Next time I wont invite buddies over, keep for myself :). There was no left overs :mad: . BUt let me tell you next morning I scared wife out of bed with a couple deadly farts!

Delaware Indian Deer Liver With Onions

Yield: 1 recipe

1 venison liver, sliced
3 c water
4 tb flour
1/2 ts salt
1/2 c dry red wine
1/4 ts pepper
4 tb bacon fat
2 c wild onions, sliced
1 can mushroom soup
1 can water

Trim and wash the liver and slice into 1/4" slices. Pour half of the boiling water over the slices, drain and pat dry. Reepat. On a platter, mix the flour, salt and peppper. Dredge the liver in the flour mixture. Over high heat, heat the bacon fat until blue smoke appears.

Add the liver and saute on both sides until lightly browned. Remove the liver with a slotted spoon and set aside.

Add the thinly sliced onions and cook until golden brown. Be careful not to burn the onions. Lower the heat, add the mushroom soup, one can of warm water and the liver. Cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours, making sure that the pan does not cook dry. Add 1/2 c. wine just before the liver is ready. Served with mashed potatoes and melted bacon grease as gravy.

Doug
10-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Melted bacon grease as gravy, holy cats I feel my arteries constricting!!!!!!

Doug

PS) Glad you liked it....

dawn2dusk
10-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Melted bacon grease as gravy, holy cats I feel my arteries constricting!!!!!!

Doug

PS) Glad you liked it....

yeah and I went hard on bacon fat too. Cooked an entire pack, took bacon out once crisp and then got the party started by deep fryin liver and onions in the gallon of bacon fat. Was sweet. Probably could have deep fried some leather and would have tasted good too :lol:

NinVic
11-07-2006, 04:20 PM
When we were hunting FT. saint james, Babine side.The natives would come by camp and ask if they could have the moose snout.We said hell ya have at it.They said they just boiled it and the kids ate it up like candy.

I had moose snout last year, cause my dad had heard similar stories about moose snout. We roasted it on the camp fire until the outside skin & hair were cripy, scraped the burned part off and then sliced pieces of it.. it was sort of like heard cheese/gelatin like.. no great flavour I have to admit.

Steeleco
11-07-2006, 04:28 PM
One spell of Gout and liver is now left for the clean up crew!!! Since then I've taken to trying heart, I really like it, trouble is most of them have a hole in them, if I'm on target that is!!!

GoatGuy
11-07-2006, 05:29 PM
Yes, but I like heart better.

Hal
11-07-2006, 06:04 PM
I prefer a nice pancrious pan fried in butter. Its great !!!

Ubertuber
11-07-2006, 06:59 PM
I love both heart and liver. I can sorta see why someone wouldn't want to eat liver (yuck my mom made me eat it when I was a kid and now I don't like it), but don't understand why you wouldn't want to eat heart. It's the tenderest, most flavourful meat on the whole animal IMO. My friends that don't eat it won't even try it...bunch of woosies. The ones that have tried it now agree that heart is fantastic.

Phil
11-07-2006, 09:18 PM
I wasn't going to try liver untill I heard that it causes explosive gas. Sounds entertaining:lol: Next deer I get ...... its liver all around! Evening camp should be a blast!!!:twisted:

Nimrod
11-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Never Eaten a Testicle from Anything
Working for an outfitter we shot a nice stone ram, the guide started cutting the balls off????????????we're going to eat them ......what!!!!!!!!!!? thought he was messing with me but that night that's what we did, sliced and pan fries in butter with some pepper....was really good ....tasted nutty. I've taken 3 rams since but couldn't bring myself to take them. No damn way I would eat deer balls.

Ronforca
11-08-2006, 07:00 AM
Had Deer liver off of a 2 pointMulie that I shot this year.Fried in Bacon fat with a lot of bacn fried up also and a Onion thrown in.A feast for a King.The Onions and Cut up Bacon strips add to it.I just clean it up,cut it up and throw it into the frying pan with the Bacon and Onions.

road warrior
11-08-2006, 09:36 PM
No liver is just a filter for rutty buck pee

tailgate77
11-08-2006, 09:45 PM
A meal of liver is good about once a year, but the heart, now there is the most tender tastiest meat around. Grill it with some olive oil and garlic and herbs. Melt in the mouth. Kidneys are good in a stew, my grandpa insisted that we brought home the three organs for dinner and he'd make up a big pot of slop that we'd eat with home made bread. Delicious.

Ubertuber
11-08-2006, 09:52 PM
No liver is just a filter for rutty buck pee That would be the kidney you're talking about. Did you fall asleep in biology?:lol:
Don't knock it till you try it 8)

jade
08-05-2010, 06:06 PM
probably the best part of the deer is the liver, it needs to be eaten fresh and not frozen, thin sliced and fried with some onions is a real treat, along with kidneys and heart.
a true hunter does not waste anything as nothing needs to be wasted.

RE1960
08-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Nope never liked it but I don't dare leave it our my Dad would make me hike back to get it.

Shooter
08-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Not a liver fan here. Nor is anyone in our house. But the heart on the other hand.... That never makes it through the night of a successful hunt. The heart is likely my favorite part of the whole deer.

My parents both love liver tho. I remember years ago my dad told me how he was driving down the road and came across a fresh gutpile, "still warm" he said...lol:roll: He actually dug through an old gutpile and took the liver......LMAO. I still bug him about that one.

MikeH
08-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I don't eat organs at all blah!Especially liver that damn thing is a filter.

Big Lew
08-05-2010, 08:26 PM
You bet we do! I'll give away a quarter without the bat of an eye, but nobody gets the liver, nope, no siree! It's best skinned and fresh. I carry quality bacon with me always just for the occasion. Very important, as someone already pointed out, to smell it to determine if it's sweet, and to thoroughly wash and cool it down right away. As for the worry of contamination, if only you knew what's in the stuff we eat regularily. Most of us only get to eat deer liver once or twice a year.

First Up
08-05-2010, 09:10 PM
I agree with jade that the liver must be eaten fresh and not after it was frozen. I eat it fried with onions and garlic. I do inspect the liver for white spots or other irregularities. If it does not look quite right then I will not eat it.

Long bow
08-05-2010, 09:52 PM
I can remember as a kid going to the "deer" camp(Ontario) with my dad and his brothers, and a few of their close friends....the dogs on the chase..still makes my ticker pound. When the first deer was taken, it wasn;t even hung and skinned yet, but the liver was prepped for that nights supper..Onions, thin apple slices, bacon grease and a pile of fried spuds, all golden brown..it was heaven. That nights wood would be in, quicker than usual, chores done, and everyone washed up and at the card table in anticipaion of the feast.. It really was a treat, and a big part of the hunt camp. 40 years later I can still hear the sounds and remember the smells. Now..in Europe, should you get an invite to an estate to hunt deer...when you harvest the animal, it stays with the game keeper, or land owner, and your trophy are the horns, if a buck, but the innards are yours..heart and liver and whatever else you want..it would be an unrepairable insult to leave them in the bush...

mpotzold
08-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Never have-never will & for that matter all liver(unless starving)!
Nowadays we usually dump it with the intestines, fur etc.
I tried to give it away a few times but nobody ever wanted it.
An old friend(not LT) that I used to hunt with used to eat it raw & while it was still hot right after he shot the animal. :eek:

hunter1947
08-06-2010, 02:54 AM
I love deer liver with bacon and onions ,its the best part of the deer..

sawmill
08-06-2010, 04:04 AM
Liver and heart is the first thing I eat when I get a deer,fry up a couple pounds and pig out!My reward for shooting staight.Can hardly wait for my next feed,Cmon Deer Season!:mrgreen:

Dadawa70
08-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Yep. Deer liver with bacon and onions, mashed potatoes and gravy. Been eating that every successful hunting season since I was 4 yrs old. I couldn't imagine leaving such a delicacy behind in the woods.

boonerbuck
08-06-2010, 11:08 AM
I use to enjoy deer/elk/moose liver but now it don't agree with my digestive system so well. People in camp nickname me puddles if I eat a meal of liver.

IronNoggin
08-06-2010, 11:27 AM
Used to. Then took a lot of years of biology classes. Ended up with a Fisheries Major, and Wildlife Minor. Learned just what the liver does. Don't eat them any more, but the hearts are indeed yummy. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Nog

bforce750
08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Don't eat myself,Ithink the best part of eating liver and onions....is the onions,they taste way better than the raven bait :biggrin:

gibblewabble
08-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Hearts and brains ok but the liver produces bile and I just cant get passed that and the smell.

sawmill
08-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Bile`s good stuff,gives you big man parts and lots of drive,why do you think bear galls are worth so much?1.5 billion Chinese can`t be wrong.:mrgreen:

BCJunior
08-06-2010, 04:05 PM
papa nick loves it (dad) myself... not so much yet my friends

gamehunter6o
08-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Deer offal is good for you. Puts hair on your chest and a spring in your step. :-DFor years I'd sell the carcase and only eat the offal.:-D$$$$

uraarchr
08-06-2010, 07:08 PM
liver's good with bacon and onions.as a kid we'd fight over the heart and liver.also mom would boil cut beef leg bones till the meat fall off for borscht or soup;then we'd eat the marrow with a bit of salt.my wife doesn't make me that kind of stuff.yummy!

Jelvis
08-06-2010, 08:32 PM
I gut the deer when it's warm and then cut a big piece of the hot bloody liver and eat the raw liver with relish ..
JP ..

sawmill
08-07-2010, 05:57 AM
I think the reason most people don`t like liver is because they cook the shit out of it and it gets all dried out and nasty.Simple recipe.

FRY UP THE BACON AND ONIONS FIRST

CUT LIVER INTO THICK PIECES

FLOUR IT AND FRY IN HOT PAN WITH BACON FAT

COOK FOR 1 MINUTE EACH SIDE

ADD THE COOKED BACON/ONIONS AT THE LAST MINUTE

The liver should be nice and pink in the center,almost rare like a steak.Keep in mind that it continues to cook after it`s out of the pan,GateHouse will verify that,all meat does.
Nobody can eat that shit that my Mom used to cook,damn near cremated.I hated liver untill my Father in law cooked up a batch the right way.Tender and flavourful.Now I am hooked.
The thing to remember is that bacon takes a lot longer to cook than the liver,you can`t just chuck all that stuff in a pan and expect to get good food .Try it this way and you might change your mind.

Ubertuber
08-07-2010, 07:50 AM
I think the reason most people don`t like liver is because they cook the shit out of it and it gets all dried out and nasty...
Very true. People tend to cook the crap out of things because they don't know what they're doing. A buddy of mine hated trout, he said the flavour was disgusting. He would cook a little pan fry for 15-20 minutes. I explained to him about overcooking and now he loves trout.
Overcooking ruins good food.

1/2 slam
08-07-2010, 05:41 PM
I'd rather eat dirt. :-D

sawmill
08-07-2010, 09:47 PM
I'd rather eat dirt. :-D

Dirt has worms in it.

Camp Cook
08-07-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't eat guts... :tongue:

1/2 slam
08-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Dirt has worms in it.

I'd still rather eat dirt.

Jelvis
08-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Organ meat

Caribou_lou
08-08-2010, 09:43 AM
I'll eat any liver thats not in the rut!!

Jelvis
08-08-2010, 09:46 AM
Liver cleans the blood of toxins and other impurities
Rich in iron .. good for people who lack iron in their blood.

trapperdan2061
08-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Yep fried in bacon fat with onions and garlic

YUMMY

deerstocker
08-08-2010, 08:45 PM
my boys and i love the liver and heart fried in butter with onions its GREAT

coyotebc
08-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Hate the stuff

1 shot 1 kill
08-09-2010, 01:14 PM
I remember years ago my dad told me how he was driving down the road and came across a fresh gutpile, "still warm" he said...lol:roll: He actually dug through an old gutpile and took the liver......LMAO. I still bug him about that one.[/quote]

thats awsome..my dad had done that when iwas a kid with a moose pile we had just watched them drive away..still good he says why in the hell would they leave that behind!
classic...i used to eat the liver the night of the kill..take care of the meat then cook up the liver...now i give it to my parents mostly. but i do keep the heart for myself...very good stuff!!

Jelvis
08-09-2010, 01:17 PM
If you were a real mountain man you would saw the head of the deer open and eat the brains ... mixed with eggs ... fried up in a pan or some of it raw .. ....... Yeeeoooowwww
Jel .. and boil the eyeballs whole for desert .. chomp chomp chomp .. good for your sight

frenchbar
08-09-2010, 01:20 PM
heart and liver is the best ...even better is leftovers for sangys :-D

sawmill
08-09-2010, 03:26 PM
If you were a real mountain man you would saw the head of the deer open and eat the brains ... mixed with eggs ... fried up in a pan or some of it raw .. ....... Yeeeoooowwww
Jel .. and boil the eyeballs whole for desert .. chomp chomp chomp .. good for your sight
OK ,that explains you to some degree.Mad deer desease:mrgreen:

Carob
08-13-2010, 09:20 PM
I'll eat the heart, that's tasty, but the filters are left for the coyotes.

BCRiverBoater
08-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Guts get left in the gut pile. Gut pile gets left in the bush! Simple!

Doug
08-14-2010, 09:28 AM
........the thread that came back from the dead............... :mrgreen:

On several boards, this topic seems to elicit even stronger opinions than which is better, the .270 or the .30-06. (Of course, everybody KNOWS it's the .270, but that's another discussion).

Doug

ruger#1
08-14-2010, 09:39 AM
Yes I do, And I use a fork and a knife.

sawmill
08-15-2010, 06:12 AM
Guts get left in the gut pile. Gut pile gets left in the bush! Simple!
JamTart.Liver makes you strong like BULL!.Eat a good feed and then ravish the wife.Everybody wins."Honey,can I go to the E.K. for a deer hunt?""Yes ,oh Yes darling,let me pack you a big lunch"