PDA

View Full Version : 17hmr and pelt damage

bigneily
02-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Any trappers on here use a 17hmr for beaver or say taking rats?, Just picked one up and was wondering what would be the best round to use?. A 17 gr v-max type or a little heavier controlled expansion type 20 gr bullet?. Which one would be the best for the least amount of pelt damage. thanx

Mr. Dean
02-20-2012, 11:09 AM
On rabbits, 'coons, etc, I've had great results with 55gr V-Max bullets out of a .223, driven under 2000 fps.

Small hole in and only 1 animal that had an exit wound that would've required 2 small stitches.
All animals fell where they stood.

I would give 'em a try in that .17 of yours..... But hopefully someone that has done so already will chime in.

Drillbit
02-20-2012, 01:21 PM
I took one to a Gopher Derby in the prairies a few years ago. Many of the gophers got down the holes and the ones recovered didn't have much damage on the outside. I was using the V-max 17 and 20grns and CCI 20 grn's. The V-max's shouldn't do much damage and I think would be a great choice for beavers. They're going less than 2400 fps, so they shouldn't blow out the other side of something with any size.

bigneily
02-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Thanx, of the beaver i've taken previously they were with a 22lr and all head shots with no exit , But they are travelling no where the speed of the 17. Kinda thought the little bullet would work best with less chance of an exit. Cheers Neil

madrona sh
02-20-2012, 04:18 PM
I don't live trap beaver so I can't help you with that one.
But it dosn't take much to close a hole. (a few pins)
But as a trapper you should know this.

bigneily
02-20-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't live trap either, The 17 is supposed to a explosive little round when it hits something. Thats why i wondered about the damage they might do. And actually have never had to skin the beaver that i shot, I don't have the proper shed or shop to skin in, let alone being able to hang them in the right temps to dry. My wife and plenty other's would most likely have an issue with dead critter skins hanging in the basement. My buddy who is a trapper and has a shop was buying my raw beaver. thanx

Blockcaver
02-20-2012, 07:36 PM
I've used the .17 HMR extensively on prairie dogs and ground squirrels. The 17 grain V-max is explosive, but lacks the energy of a .204 or .223 or anything of that sort. It is an adequate prairie dog round to 175 yards or slightly more if the winds are calm. For beavers, I would use a 17 grain or better yet the 20 grain hollow point, or a larger gun. The hollow points penetrate better and are less like to over-expand on the surface of a critter compared to the V-max but are prone to go whining off in the distance after hitting the ground (how do you spell richochet?). The HMR is a great little cartridge, but not my choice for varmints above the size mentioned.

bigneily
02-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Thanx for the info, I was under the aasumption that all the 17 grainers are a hollow point design. Thats what i was calling the v-max's and thinking that the 20 gr's are just more of a solid or bonded type bullet. Are the v-max's different all together? I'm also hearing about varmint grenades? are they available in 17hmr also? thanx for clarifying this.

Drillbit
02-20-2012, 08:17 PM
V-max have a red plasitic tip and are fast expanding.

Varmint grenades are (22 cal are) hollowpoint and are made to really expand and come apart. They vaporize grapes with them for commercials.

A 17 hmr is going twice as fast as a 22lr and is half the wieght. = same momentum. (p=mv)

BTW, it's none of our business what you are shooting beavers for, but I wouldn't explain anything on here.

Blockcaver
02-20-2012, 08:34 PM
I believe one of the manufacturers makes a 20 grain pointed solid, but I have no experience with them. They may be perfect for head shots but doubt they would expand for body shots. Rimfire Central may have some info?

bigneily
02-20-2012, 09:21 PM
I have completed the bc trappers course many years ago, And have on occasion bought my trappers license in order to take some beaver from a large piece of private land that i have permission to trap on. Nothing illegal about shooting beaver if you hold a valid trapper license.

Drillbit
02-21-2012, 12:55 AM
That's great, I was just expecting someone to ask you for details and then call you out. Some guys can't mind their own business.

Let us know what you decide to use and how well it works.

bigneily
02-21-2012, 06:48 AM
I will thanx.

madrona sh
02-21-2012, 10:05 AM
If some one wanted there biz minded they wouldnt be on the intraweb would they.

Wild one
02-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Why not just use a trap?No holes, it works 24/7, and you don't need to waste ammo

Singleshotneeded
02-21-2012, 03:39 PM
On animals of any size where you don't want damage use the 20 grain XTP ammo...