PDA

View Full Version : Archery elk for wife

afflicted 1
02-19-2012, 10:51 AM
The wife and I are booking time for upcoming season. She really wants a crack at an elk either sex with her bow, I'm pretty confident I can help get her one were considering the E.K elkford area because we have never been there and the X zone in the valley for both cows and bulls. My question would be is there an area around there where her odds would be good, and we don't mind hiking or the ugly stuff. I would just as well take a cow as we are meat hunters. If it is just a shit storm of hunters chasing a handful of elk around you can let me know that too, lol.

bugler
02-19-2012, 12:12 PM
The whole EK is elk country. I don't think that any general area is better than the rest. They are where you find them. I've never hunted there but there is a pretty large "no shooting" area in the Elk Valley which is open for bowhunting. I've heard there are quite a few elk but also quite a few bowhunters. The latter tends to show up where there are lots of elk!! Good luck!

02-19-2012, 02:05 PM
The EK are great if you like seeing a few hundred other hunters while you're out.

dragonslayer
02-19-2012, 03:21 PM
4-03 is pretty much of a gong show all though the season, hunters everywhere and then some.

jtred
02-19-2012, 05:18 PM
I haven't gone that far east yet, I pretty much stick around the central Kootenays(4-06/4-07) and although there are a lot of hunters on the roads I generally don't see anyone until I get back to the road. That's been my experience everywhere I've hunted, nonstop traffic on the roads and more established quad trails, nobody anywhere else. That said maybe the road hunters are more successful, they certainly cover more ground, but then you have to ask yourself what you expect out of the hunt. I love the high alpine scenery and the quiet found out of earshot of the fsr's, I generally fill the freezer and get loads of exercise at the same time.

hunter1947
02-20-2012, 03:38 AM
Why Elkford ?????? If me I would hunt the west side of the columbia Lake the power lines the elevation at the power lines etc they are 1000m ,this area is Zone X..

bowhunterbruce
02-20-2012, 06:21 AM
Why Elkford ?????? If me I would hunt the west side of the columbia Lake the power lines the elevation at the power lines etc they are 1000m ,this area is Zone X..

pretty good spot to watch them from the powerline and get thier patterns for a few days,however,once you start climbing you had better have an altimeter with you or a gps.
everytime i have seen them at first light they are moving up hill to bed down and they quickly get above the allowed elevation for zone x.its right around the first bench up the hill.
not impossible though,a buddy got his first elk,a spiker up there,but it took 3 of us to do it and a cpl days to figure that piticular herds patterns and wind.
not a bad spot though in 4-26. just a ton of work because of only being able to go 400 m from the road with a truck or quad,after that its all footwork with packs.
bhb

eastkoot
02-20-2012, 08:55 AM
Every one seems to think Zone X is going to be open again this year ???? Wagers please..LEH but not GOS I understand.

bugler
02-20-2012, 12:34 PM
not a bad spot though in 4-26. just a ton of work because of only being able to go 400 m from the road with a truck or quad,after that its all footwork with packs.
bhb
If you are in the area I'm thinking the road is either open or it is not. Vehicles should be only on open roads. None of this driving 400m from the road with a quad in the area H47 mentioned.

bugler
02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Every one seems to think Zone X is going to be open again this year ???? Wagers please..LEH but not GOS I understand.
Maybe not GOS but I'm pretty sure that bow season will still be open for any elk in zone X.

bowhunterbruce
02-20-2012, 12:53 PM
If you are in the area I'm thinking the road is either open or it is not. Vehicles should be only on open roads. None of this driving 400m from the road with a quad in the area H47 mentioned.

i stand corrected ,the road is open but thats it.anything away from the road is on foot.
thanks eh!i hadn't had coffee yet before i beaked off.my bad