PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Moose Hunt

LOC
10-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Well, back from a week up PG way moose hunting :) went up with Dad, my cousin, a few of dad's buddys (all of which are still up there for another week, wish I was) and GMJH (who flew back with me) to PG for our annual moose trip.

First few days were un-eventfull, lots of does, a few chickens and a couple rabbits - not one moose to be seen anywhere. The few bucks we did see never gave us the chance to shoot them.

The 10th roles around, and my LEH comes open. We were driving into an area where we were going to get out and look for a little 2 point mulie we'd seen the other day - the plan was to hike up to a little 'island' of trees and do a bit of a drive to see what we could chase out. On the drive in we see a cow and calf just off the side of the road, no chance for a shot and they took off across the marsh so we continued on.

At this time another set of hunters passes us so we back off and let them get ahead. A good 20 or so minutes later we pass the same hunters just after they loaded a 2 point mulie into the truck. We continue on, thinking they probably shot the deer we'd wanted to chase when Glen hollers "Moose!" me, Dad and my cousin are all looking at the tree lines, trying to figure out were this moose is. Finally he yells " Right in front of the truck on the road!" Sure enough - big cow walking 20 or so yards in front of the truck.

Me and Dad both jump out, I fire (45-70) moose drops, gets back up - Dad (.300 WM) and I both fire moose drops again, gets back up - I fire once more and moose goes down about 50 yards off the road. It's still alive when I get there so I had to put a finishing shot in her.

After cleaning and skinning we found 3 of the 4 shots took out the lungs, and my last shot broke her back hip ( I need to work on my leading). You can sure tell the differance between a 45-70 hole and a 300WM hole!!

Those were the last moose any of us (6 in total) seen up until we left.

I also got to try a quad for the first time - kinda fun, kinda scary.

All in all a good trip, with great weather (sunny and cool) and I got my first moose :)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/moose4.JPG

WoodOx
10-16-2006, 08:13 PM
congrats on the moose! That northerly country is just gorgeous

browningboy
10-16-2006, 08:21 PM
Way to go, nice moose, should have some nice bbq's coming up. The north is the only way to go, almost got the wife convinced to move to gods country!:twisted:

LOC
10-16-2006, 08:28 PM
I have the wife convinced, we just need someone to hire one of us!

browningboy
10-16-2006, 08:36 PM
There is a Ft St John job fair coming on Oct 16 in Chilliwack for all the oil industry, they're desperate for all types of workers from the office to the trades, its a prime time to go up there. You can just go on any job finder and find tonnes of jobs up there, hmmmmmm!:confused: