PDA

View Full Version : Morning goose hunt.

Tanya
02-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Went out to play today with our fearless Administrator Marc, our friend Kevin and John. We set up in some brush on the edge of a field John had scouted earlier in the week. It wasn't long before some large groups came in and landed 100 yards away :evil:. After more kept joining them instead of being lured in by Marc and John's lustfull honks Marc and Marshall went for a walk to push them up. Of course, once he reached the far side of the field another group came in to us. We shot, downed a few and the others flocked off.

More flocks kept coming in, but few would get close enough. We were showing our rust as well a number of times, with some less than stellar shooting. Marc's ejector on his gun broke, so that didn't help his focus - he's going with that excuse anyway....:mrgreen:

At one point there were literally hundreds of birds on the horizon, it looked like Manitoba! They arrived to view our field, but alas most viewed from outside shooting range ( which apparently was much less than most days ) It really was quite a sight for around here seeing all those birds at once.

Anyhow, we called breakfast after the masses left for points afar and left the field with 9 Canadas. I cooked breakfast, so the guys are down in a barn cleaning birds. We are hoping at least 4 are quality enough to de-bone and smoke for the upcoming banquet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/MarcKevinJohnT_Feb18_fx.jpg

Foxton Gundogs
02-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Good for you guys, first skunk of the season here in Cedar. There were no geese, I don't just mean no geese near us but no geese ANYWHERE in eye or ear shot. Oh well had to happen sometime I guess, next time.

longshot
02-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Good job! I think I heard you guys today! Certainly more birds in your spot than ours today... had a single come into range which was it for the entire day! At least I got him ;)

cavebear
02-18-2012, 04:52 PM
congrats folks hoping to hook up on some geese tomorrow :)

RENO
02-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Nice nice shooting, going out tomorrow morning hope we get some? saw lots of Canada's south island in fields bunched up sitting around hopefully they get up flying for us, one of the best hunts was a few years ago when I got to hunt with Marc it snowed that year and all five of us got our limit. One of the best island goose hunts I've had since.

keoke
02-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Way better hunt than what I had this morning. Great job guys. I am going to try my luck again tomorrow.

358win
02-18-2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks Tanya. I'm heading out Monday and I'm realy looking forward to it now.

Tanya
02-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Good luck to you 358! Sunday the birds were more wary, but there are still tons about.

Foxton Gundogs
02-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Sounds like you guys down there got all the birds, finally got my limit............streched out over 2 weekends lol

RENO
02-20-2012, 03:42 PM
So I was out with a few guys Sunday and it was a lot of fun, we had a some good flocks coming in flying high of course LOL but that's goose hunting. all the guys arrived at the same time Sunday morning and discussed were we would set up for the day, it was a bit chilly but perfect weather... the birds came in early right at daybreak and a two birds were taken off the bat, one of the fellows ended up with 4/5 good shooter he can sure handle that 10g mag. 3 nice birds were
taken by the other group to the south of us one was a bird we managed to get a hit on and flew down towards these fellows that finished him off. good shooting there as well. we managed to get the first one of the bat a single that just few in quietly to visit with our decoys and stayed longer that he expected lol. the second was again a single that came in that was scared up from cross the way, on the field and came right at us only we had to fish him outta some water (I hate that) and the 3rd was a nice heavy honker that flew by nice and low just on the edge of our decoys, don't think he was planning to stick around, just a classic fly by but I changed his mind and he stayed for the truck ride home as well. so the guys took 10/11 sunday it was a great day, wish you all the same luck if your out there guys.

Tanya
02-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Good deal Reno, sounds like you all had a blast. If you were in the Cowichan Valley I do believe we heard that 10g. :shock:

RENO
02-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Yes, sure was Tanya, and you know there's nothing like the sound of a 10g, at first light with a slight chill in the air in beautiful Cowichan valley, and the sound of Big Canada's arriving. I love it. thanks Tanya

RENO
02-20-2012, 06:33 PM
I have a really nice gourmet goose sausage recipe, I will be posting soon wonder if there are some interested members ?

Chessieguy
02-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Well done!!! Looks like a happy group!!!

RENO
02-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Yes we sure were happy, thanks Chessieguy, The Beretta's did there job, 2 happy DU members as well.

RENO
03-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Well Tanya, thought I'd add one last post for yesterday's goose hunt. It started with a nice calm morning with a 6k wind, as we approached are area to set up, we were greeted by 200 trumpeter swans resting, quite a site to be surrounded by these magnificent birds. There was a few Canada's in amongst them but not enough shooting light. Blind set,awaiting shooting light,and hoping at a crack at the Canada's , they foiled the plan and headed in the wrong direction. we had 7 or 8 big formations pass, nice mature birds but none interested in coming in for a visit. Finally a promising flock of 4 big Canada's approached seemingly out of nowhere and silent and circled our bind and decoys three times getting lower each pass, but opted to rest passed us, we managed to get them in the air again but no luck again, to bad as it was like a dream the way they came in picture perfect. again we were blessed with a flock of 6 this time only to have them split on approach 3 left and the other 3 settled just to the other side of us at 400 yards,oh well. The highlight of the day way three nice big Canada's at 11 am came in right at us at 10 feet off the ground, the lead bird was 4 ft head and the 2 following side by side , as they were upon our decoys the lead bird turned and I downed him on the first shot, moving to the right I put two shots on the second birds and downed a second, the third bird escaped unfortunately. it was very quite after that, with lots of birds flying, ducks ect but no geese. The weather got very windy mid afternoon with rain,overcast and looked promising 8-10 Canada's arrived and landed of course 200 yards short of the blind, we decided to try and get closer and see if we could get a shot once we got them in the air but no luck. All in all a great day out, lots of laughs and great memories to share, left though with 2 nice vary large Canada's. Glad to share the day we had with you, hope next year will be better, with the new learned lessons of this year.

longshot
03-11-2012, 01:22 PM
I think we may have driven by your rig yesterday RENO, do you have a big black F150??

RENO
03-11-2012, 06:25 PM
I think we may have driven by your rig yesterday RENO, do you have a big black F150??

Yes, stop and chat next time, always nice to meet new hunters.