PDA

View Full Version : nootka sound

tbocking
02-18-2012, 11:02 AM
I will be spending a week in nootka this summer and have never been there any advice about the area will be greatly appreciated
Thanks Ted

Jim Prawn
02-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Which week and where abouts? Third week of July is typically prime time for big springs on the inside. Earlier you may need to run outside to find them. Also good halibut outside but it is the wild west coast up there so you will need a good boat and possibly someone with some experience in the area if you're experience is limited. Check the regulations shortly before you go since they can be complicated and sometimes last minute regarding area closures, size limits, hatchery limits etc. There are aslo lots of backroads to explore with good opportunity to see Elk, Deer, & Bear. Also good prawning and good oyster beds in the sound.
Good Luck!
JP

bigdaddy
02-18-2012, 12:10 PM
I will be spending a week in nootka this summer and have never been there any advice about the area will be greatly appreciated
Thanks Ted

little more info please.do you have a boat.what size boat.do you have traps.are you there for work or family vacation.do you wanna fish.

RJ
02-18-2012, 04:36 PM
There are usually boats everywhere along the inside.
If you feel confident enough to head outside the sound, Bajo Reef is usually where it's at.
Can also head out to the highway but its a few miles off shore, hopefully you have a boat that can handle the rough stuff.
The fish inside the sound fight half as hard as outside, it's really worth it to get out past the lighthouse if you can.

tbocking
02-20-2012, 08:34 PM
we are plenty experienced and have all the gear traps etc just a bunch of friends going up we usually fish albernie but want to try something different. we will be going up the last week of july.
Ive heard of the Bajo reef and have no problem heading there

RJ
02-20-2012, 08:52 PM
You'll find everyone at the red can buoy at the south end, but I like to avoid the crowds. If you have gps it should show you the contour of the reef but you'll know you're over it when you see all the kelp. Good luck!

bc mike
02-20-2012, 09:30 PM
North end of Nootka is far better. It can have rougher water. More rocks. Local knowledge goes along way. You excape the large crowds for better fishing.

tbocking
02-21-2012, 09:24 PM
thanks guys im really looking for advice on where to find the halibut in the area oh and the prawns

RJ
02-21-2012, 09:27 PM
You won't find any prawns after the commercial guys go through.
My brother pulled in a 65 pound Hali at the can buoy, on a 4'' spoon, was quite the battle!

harbinger
02-22-2012, 07:40 AM
I was up there a couple years ago and the springs were closed on the inside. FYI check the regs. Also, check out Roger's Fishing Lodge. They have a barge camp on Princess Elisa inlet (farthest out on the north side of the sound) and they have arrangements for guys to tie up there and sleep in one of the cabins. They also have full facilities for you to use. From what I remember it was very reasonable and the staff were really great.
The fishing was "off the hook" on the outside. I do remember some scary rocks between Nootka island and the North side of the sound, the guides would take the long way around depending on the tides. Have fun bud, it was really awesome out there!