PDA

View Full Version : Full mount black bear

rides bike to work
02-17-2012, 07:14 AM
We,ll after alot of convinceing if talked my wife into letting me get a full mount black bear done if a get a nice one this year can any one sudjest a good taxi that could get this done in the fraser valley also the estamated price .I think the bear deservse to be represented in full not deflated and flattened out on the wall hope I fin a pig to stuff.

BiG Boar
02-17-2012, 07:23 AM
http://www.rwtaxidermy.com/photos/page6.html

The one on that page that is swiping its paw is what I think is the best bear full mount I have ever seen. No question, it gets my vote.

bowhunterbruce
02-17-2012, 08:26 AM
good choice bigboar

http://www.rwtaxidermy.com/photos/files/page6-1020-full.jpg
http://www.rwtaxidermy.com/photos/files/page6-1021-full.jpg

mikeboehm
02-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Go see frank at fur and feathers. He's done 3 mounts for me always excellent. I hear Ray weins is very good. Stay away from gander and sons

Ruger4
02-17-2012, 08:32 AM
have to agree the rugs are boring and the open mouth snarl is tiresome after a while, closed mouth 1/2 mount will be next from Dean in Blk Mtn

r106
02-17-2012, 08:33 AM
I like that griz http://www.rwtaxidermy.com/photos/files/page6-1019-full.html

02-17-2012, 08:45 AM
I prefer less aggressive mounts. That's definitely not my style

1/2 slam
02-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Go see frank at fur and feathers. He's done 3 mounts for me always excellent. I hear Ray weins is very good. Stay away from gander and sons

X 2...on both suggestions

Mr. Dean
02-17-2012, 11:19 AM
I too prefer mounts over rugs.

I didn't have your coin when I did mine several years back, so I opted for a half, instead.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0008_edited-4.JPG

Close-up;

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0013_edited-21.JPG

I've always wanted some scenery around and behind it but never gotta 'round to doing it... Moving homes in a couple months.
It'll be done before going up in it.

Mr. Dean
02-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Never really was amused w/ the pissed-off bear looks, until I saw this one;

http://www.rwtaxidermy.com/photos/files/page6-1020-full.jpg

I concede, it would now be a consideration.

BearStump
02-17-2012, 11:51 AM
I like that griz http://www.rwtaxidermy.com/photos/files/page6-1019-full.html
x2 I like to see mounts in a realistic/ Less aggressive pose. The BB that Bigbore likes is too un natural and I've never seen a BB display that kind of aggression in the wild.

Deer_Slayer
02-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Grizz looks good ...but one eye is bigger than other..maybe just the angle ..black bear looks good but bears cannot snarl like a dog..just sayin

Mr. Dean
02-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Grizz looks good ...but one eye is bigger than other..maybe just the angle ..black bear looks good but bears cannot snarl like a dog..just sayin

Gosh, I don't know how many times I've said this.....

NEVER trust a picture for being the 'decider' of your consience.
There's too many variables that are unknown - Focus planes, angle, lens, lighting, yadda yadda yadda.

LOOK at pieces 1st hand and compare - Having a mount done should be like picking out a living room suite....

huntermike79
02-17-2012, 05:37 PM
Gosh, I don't know how many times I've said this.....

NEVER trust a picture for being the 'decider' of your consience.
There's too many variables that are unknown - Focus planes, angle, lens, lighting, yadda yadda yadda.

LOOK at pieces 1st hand and compare - Having a mount done should be like picking out a living room suite....
bad angles??
the photo is dead on straight???

elkdom
02-17-2012, 05:56 PM
al LOT of those standing up full size aggressive looking "bear mounts",,,,,,,,,,????

remind me of the DANCING Bears ,so common in " Old Russian Circus Side Show Animal Acts", lol :lol:

popcorn anyone ?????

Mr. Dean
02-17-2012, 06:10 PM
bad angles??
the photo is dead on straight???

WOW. Sensitve today?

I just looked at the pic and yes, it's SHOT straight on AND high.
Light is high and ALSO not fully illuminating the left eye, casting shadow on/over it - Making it appear smaller.

Like I said; Lottsa things to consider....

Mr. Dean
02-17-2012, 06:23 PM
So,,,, I've had to delete some posts that are derailing the OP's thread and have also begun sending out infractions for shit disturbing/pot stirring.

This kind of stuff doesn't help the OP in any way and IMO makes the people posting, look childish.
If it keeps up, temp. time outs will be given.

scottwh
02-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Not familiar with the taxidermists noted in above threads, but Harley White in Kelowna does alot of bears. I have seen alot of very nice live mounts getting finished up at his place :)

Mr. Dean
02-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Yeah, they look terrible. When is the last time you saw a black bear look like that in the wild? Never! Lets show these animals some respect!

Crud.
You need to get out more :lol:

huntermike79
02-17-2012, 06:42 PM
WOW. Sensitve today?

I just looked at the pic and yes, it's SHOT straight on AND high.
Light is high and ALSO not fully illuminating the left eye, casting shadow on/over it - Making it appear smaller.

Like I said; Lottsa things to consider....
I don't see any shadowing??
It is plain to see the eyes look bad.

you have your opinion and I have mine.
now hurry up and delete this post.

02-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Get it in the meanest, maddest attack position ya can cause every bear is a killer ........

Be prepared to part company with a couple thousand at least !

You would get a nice pack in on horse back or river drop for that money, then have a Ram. Billy or Bull too.

To each his own, if ya get a fluffy soft Bear .... the wife might like the rug .... if ya know what I mean. hahah

CT

Island Redneck
02-17-2012, 06:51 PM
I too prefer mounts over rugs.

I didn't have your coin when I did mine several years back, so I opted for a half, instead.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0008_edited-4.JPG

Close-up;

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0013_edited-21.JPG

I've always wanted some scenery around and behind it but never gotta 'round to doing it... Moving homes in a couple months.
It'll be done before going up in it.

Can you tell me, who mounted this for you. Thanks

cameron0518
02-17-2012, 06:54 PM

If you are going to slam the best taxidermists in the lower mainland, at least give a reason why. I have seen 8 mounts come out of Ganders including my Bison and all are excellent. Their prices are a little higher but I rest easy when my own or my hunting partners animals are in there. Ganders showroom is proof of itself unlike Fur and Feathers which mounts are practically falling apart in their tiny show area. I couldn't believe that anyone would take their animals there after seeing their work with my own eyes. RW's work seems to get a lot of respect but haven't seen anything that outclasses Ganders.

Ruger4
02-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Close-up;

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0013_edited-21.JPG [/QUOTE]

close work is exceptional ! looks great

cameron0518
02-17-2012, 06:56 PM
X 2...on both suggestions

Another factless slam on Ganders.

Wild one
02-17-2012, 07:20 PM
It is plain to see the eyes look bad.

you have your opinion and I have mine.
now hurry up and delete this post.

Seen that mount first hand both eyes are the same size

fireguy
02-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Not familiar with the taxidermists noted in above threads, but Harley White in Kelowna does alot of bears. I have seen alot of very nice live mounts getting finished up at his place :)

Yep, me to, I have a few different mounts from him, I wouldn't take my stuff anywhere else, not just because he does good work but he's close and I've known him personally for years. Have a mulie in there right now and one day will get a lifesized bear done, I already have a huge grizz and black bear rug done and I like the looks of a good lifesized bear, now I just have to find another 7 1/2 footer to get done up.

oldkoot
02-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Visit lot's of shops and websites. Consider others opinions , and then judge for your self. What one group of people love..........an equal number of people dislike. We're all different.

huntcoop
02-17-2012, 08:30 PM
We,ll after alot of convinceing if talked my wife into letting me get a full mount black bear done if a get a nice one this year can any one sudjest a good taxi that could get this done in the fraser valley also the estamated price .I think the bear deservse to be represented in full not deflated and flattened out on the wall hope I fin a pig to stuff.

Whoever you get to do the work make sure you look into the mouth and ensure that it is finished correctly. A member on here posted pictures of his mount where the inside of the mouth was not finished properly

Mr. Dean
02-18-2012, 02:17 AM

Sorry about that.

A good book on the subject and as a starting point for learning photography is called; "Learning The Light".
If you're keen about it, I can send you an old, half worn out copy.

Don't bother trying to learn this stuff on websites - To many people blowing smoke up others a__'s and self proclaimed no-it-alls there. Waste of time IMO.

But wadda I know?
Part of my training was under a Prof at MIT, in Boston, Mass.

So you're right; You DO have your opinion...

Mr. Dean
02-18-2012, 02:29 AM
If you are going to slam the best taxidermists in the lower mainland, at least give a reason why.

You gotta understand: Craftmanship is very subjective.
What one person likes, another doesn't need too.

Think about it - Does everyone like the same build of a house, car, portrait...?
And is exactly why I urge everyone on the lookout for a mount, to go see the work and handle it.

I know what I like, I know what I know.... But that doesn't mean that you need to or will.

Mr. Dean
02-18-2012, 02:38 AM
Whoever you get to do the work make sure you look into the mouth and ensure that it is finished correctly. A member on here posted pictures of his mount where the inside of the mouth was not finished properly

x2.
If something isn't right, take it up with the guy you have commisioned it to, asap.

BiG Boar
02-28-2012, 07:44 AM
I have taken my work to several taxidermists in BC, not just the lower mainland. Some are good at some animals, some are (lets say) not as experienced. What pose you choose has nothing to do with the taxidermist. Bringing and animal back to life from the dead is what determines how good a taxidermist is. Art is very personal, and what looks incredible to some, may look boring to others. The problem then comes when you add another variable like taking a photograph. Photography is tough, as you can see from many, many "kill shots" on this site, and taking a great picture of taxidermy isn't easy.

What I am surprised about is the hate on for certain taxidermists. Ganders and Ray weins are both top quality artists, and I would recomend them both.

What I am surprised by, is that some taxidermists keep crappy, old, out dated work in shitty show rooms. I have yet to see a great show room in my travels.

Doe Eyes
02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
How much would one pay for a full bear mount? Ballpark....

Rams-head
02-28-2012, 11:00 AM
How much would one pay for a full bear mount? Ballpark....

$3000-$4000 depending on size of bear and the habitat wanted in the mount.

rides bike to work
02-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the tips after caling a fewplaces and getting some quotes I have desided to stuff it myself I figure I can make the cast out of paper mashai and chicken wire then pull the fur over it glue some eyes on and paint the mouth red dripping with blood Bobs your uncle full mount Ill post picks when its done.

huntcoop
02-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the tips after caling a fewplaces and getting some quotes I have desided to stuff it myself I figure I can make the cast out of paper mashai and chicken wire then pull the fur over it glue some eyes on and paint the mouth red dripping with blood Bobs your uncle full mount Ill post picks when its done.

Sounds awesome, remember 2 things... fill the mouth properly, some taxidermists apparently don't do that??, and post pictures when you are done.

Mr. Dean
02-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Can you tell me, who mounted this for you. Thanks

close work is exceptional ! looks great

Ray (MainlandHunter) did that one up for me.

180grainer
02-29-2012, 08:45 PM

What's wrong with Gander and Sons? They've been around for ever and I haven't heard anything bad about them.

horshur
02-29-2012, 08:50 PM
you could get it standing and have it plumbed with a remote switch so when friends are admiring the lifelike taxidermy .......an interactive piece.:mrgreen:

adamgarbett
03-01-2012, 06:05 AM
have to agree the rugs are boring and the open mouth snarl is tiresome after a while, closed mouth 1/2 mount will be next from Dean in Blk Mtn

Have fun waiting for 6 years to get your mount back.......

Mr. Dean
03-01-2012, 10:17 AM
you could get it standing and have it plumbed with a remote switch so when friends are admiring the lifelike taxidermy .......an interactive piece.:mrgreen:

If I ever got one in a standing position, I'd get a sensor place into the snout that would get the bear pissing all over the ones that "need" to pet it. :lol:

Wild one
03-01-2012, 02:36 PM
If I ever got one in a standing position, I'd get a sensor place into the snout that would get the bear pissing all over the ones that "need" to pet it. :lol:

And then set it at your booth at the sportsman show