PDA

View Full Version : Snare Legalities

NorthShoreX
02-16-2012, 10:59 PM
I am going predator hunting this weekend and at the same time will be looking for some Snowshoe Hares. I usually get the hares with a 22LR but this time out my friend wants to try using snares. I was thinking about this and am not sure of the legalities of it.

Can a person with a valid BC hunting license use snares to hunt hares and other small game, or do you need to have a valid Trappers license?

I hope that some of you know the correct answer and would like to tell me, thank you.

Neil.

Ioneth
02-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Just ask a co and if he says it's ok get it in writing. After a google search I found people that said no and others that said yes. The source for no was a call to Victoria and for yes was an email from a co

Some one also said its in the regs
It is unlawful to snare with wire thicker than 20 gauge with out a valid trappers licence.
If that's the case anything smaller should be ok?

I personally could not find that in there but I didn't look to hard

fireguy
02-17-2012, 12:35 AM
Page 95, in the trapping regulations spells it out for you

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/1012/docs/Hunting-TrappingSynopsis_1012_Part2.pdf

bowhunterbruce
02-17-2012, 04:44 AM
from what i read,rabbits are not on any of the trapping spieces lists.they are open during the hunting season. there are other small game listed that do fall under trapping regs.
if i'm not mistaken this is near the top end of snowshoes population cycles so there should be tons around.i couldn.t see anywhere that lists wheather it illegle or not.
i'd be inclined to give the c o a call within the area you intend to hunt and flat out ask them.
bhb

Pioneerman
02-17-2012, 05:44 AM
I am only guessing , but snares do not discriminate , even if after rabbit only they will accept any animal that fits. So if you kill the wrong animal, do you then need a trappers license ?

Stone Sheep Steve
02-17-2012, 07:27 AM
20 gauge wire or less. Non-locking snares. Cannot exceed the bag limit.

SSS

Skull Hunter
02-17-2012, 09:26 AM
I've had both a current CO and an Ex CO tell me that it is legal, in fact I've gone out setting or checking hare snares with both of them.

SHAKER
02-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Good question, and better answers.... I was always under the impression you couldn't, but show's what happen when you don't ask.

boxhitch
02-17-2012, 11:40 AM
I am only guessing , but snares do not discriminate , even if after rabbit only they will accept any animal that fits. So if you kill the wrong animal, do you then need a trappers license ?The very reason for the restrictions of allowable material used. The light wire used won't be of harm to much else.

sawmill
02-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Alright ,real BIG sore spot with me.
Ten years ago here I set a couple light brass wire snares for snowshoes here ,game cops came along and busted me for trapping a "fur bearing animal" without a liscence.275$ fine.It was in season but I bent over and took it deep.Turns out they were WAY F%cking wrong.I did not find out till I joined this site and could talk to people about it.
By the way they assholes came to my house and wanted to search it,look in my chicken house, check my rifles and they were big assed arrogant *******s about it,stomping around like fat ghey wanna be SWAT`s. I am so pissed about that...................Snare `em all.

02-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Glad t hear its legal, l just recently purchased a few packs to throw in my daypack for snaring purposes should the need ever arise........

Moose Guide
02-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Ten years ago here I set a couple light brass wire snares for snowshoes here ,game cops came along and busted me for trapping a "fur bearing animal" without a liscence.275$ fine.It was in season but I bent over and took it deep.Turns out they were WAY F%cking wrong.I did not find out till I joined this site and could talk to people about it.
By the way they assholes came to my house and wanted to search it,look in my chicken house, check my rifles and they were big assed arrogant *******s about it,stomping around like fat ghey wanna be SWAT`s. I am so pissed about that...................Snare `em all.

I hope you got your name cleared(if not, you will be on record as a poacher) and your money back! An appology wouldn't hurt either!!!

REMINGTON JIM
02-17-2012, 08:40 PM

Alright Sawmill - don't hold back anymore ! tell us how you really feel ! I would be pissed too - not right when the law gets the law wrong is it !

NorthShoreX
02-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Thank you for all the answers and great information.

CanuckShooter
02-17-2012, 08:45 PM

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.....did you sue?

sawmill
02-18-2012, 08:14 AM
I hope you got your name cleared(if not, you will be on record as a poacher) and your money back! An appology wouldn't hurt either!!!

How do I go about that?I really want payback.

sawmill
02-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Ignorance of the law is no excuse.....did you sue?

Yeah,their ingnorance.

CanuckShooter
02-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Yeah,their ingnorance.

That's what I meant!! ;-)

Doc Sprat
02-19-2012, 11:11 AM
I emailed the CO's in the east kootenays, and they said not legal.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-19-2012, 11:19 AM
I emailed the CO's in the east kootenays, and they said not legal.

Tell them to contact the head CO in the province to confirm this.

SSS

Doc Sprat
02-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Are there any CO's on this forum?