PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from 8-1 Osoyoos hunt - buck down

dawn2dusk
10-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Hey boys

Thanks for all you posters whoi helped me out wiht advice etc http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6855

It worked! I got my first deer and it was a buck although I could have taken either with LEh anterless WT tag. Bagged it yesterday morning around 8am. Was a great hunt. Arrived in Sidley meadows (just east of Osoyoos near Anarchist Mountian)on Sunday night Oct 8th. Found a nice little spot to camp. Parked the truck for the week and prepared the CT90 trail bike for some hard use. Spent Monday mostly scouting around. Scared up a few WT does. But LEH was not valid until the 10th. Hopefully they would be around on Tues. But as luck works the weather got hot and sunny. Deer vanished. Had to work even harder. Found some other stands that had been setup by other hunters and tried them. Nothing. Went back to hardcore scouting on CT90 on Wed. Did a big circuit saw over a dozen grouse, a moose and a pair of coyotes. Stopped at a high elevation clearcut that had lots of sign and did a still hunt for a couple hours. Two mule does walked by me and did not even know I was there. Slowly dialed in over the next couple days to the habitat/trails/travel/time patterns of the predictable but yet whiley whitetails. Weather began to change on Sat and so did the deer movements increase. Sat had a shot at one. Had been sitting still hunting behind some rocks. Unfortuntatly forget to move all the dry sticks and leaves away. When I went to take aim made some crunching noises and spooked it off. So lesson learnt, I found an improved spot with better visibility and rests for the gun. Cleared all the crunchy stuff away and made mental note to keep more relaxed next time. Got up at 5am on Sunday (last two hours of my week hunt as needed to get ferry back to the island), slammed some coffee and oatmeal, hopped on the CT90 and made my way in the dark and drizzle down a bumpy deactiveated road for 10km to my "secret spot". Parked the bike then hiked for about 20min. Still dark. Settled into my stand. Was nice cause I can lay down and rest my head back, almost like being at work! :) 6:30 am rolls by and the first light of a new day shows itself. 7am light enough now to take a shot. 7:30am rolls by nothing. Not too worried though cause based on previous days I knew the deer moved through this part of their daily routine between 8 and 9am. 8am rolls by and I tell myself to get ready. The forest is silent except for an occasional chatter from a squirrel. Or a visit from an all too curious whisky jack. I was in a semi state of consiousnous dreaming about bucks when I opened one eye to check my clearing and sure enough there is a deer standin there. Another lesson I had learnt last week re:still hunting was to not freak out and go for shot right away. I just sat there and took some deep breaths. The deer was about 150yards away, ears were perked up and he was lookin up in to the clearing right at me. Stay still I told myself. I was dressed to the hinds in camo including face mask. The stand was a hollow in the ground surround by large rocks and logs. No way he could see me. His ears go down and he starts to nibble some grass. I move into shooting position with puma-like stealth (at least compared to Sat screw up). No noise. Calm. Breathing. Heart is racing. Almost in my mouth now. Can see deer in scope cross hairs. Kept both eyes open. A little breeze from the wromg direction blew through, I watch the deer and he smelt me I think. Starts to do a nervous trott into the breeze straight up towards me. Come to daddy. Followed him up the whole way in the scope. At one point about 80yrds he had to go through a little dip out of sight. Seemed like forever. Was like o no...he got away. Then he popped up out of the ditch coming right at me with the same trott. At 50yrds he began to slow down. At this point i realized he was not a she. He was lookin right me. Could swear he was thinking..."hmmmmm something don’t look right about that stump with the stick pointing at me". That was the last thing that went through his brain I think. One shot from my .308 with 180 grain bullet into the heart. Was all over for him. Was a little disappointed at the meat loss from all the damage. But one thing I learnt from this site is how to be ethical. Wanted a quick death for little dude. He was a fork. Never did fill my anterless WT LEH tag, maybe I go back in Nov. on my way to 5-15 Likely area for next hunt.

Thanks to all you posters who provided advice and help. It was invaluable in my pre-hunt preperation.

Pictures need to be developed but will get one up for you. Best pic is of the buck strapped on back of my CT90!

geno
10-16-2006, 10:53 AM
sounds like a good hunt.. keep up the good work

Mckinney Creek Adventures
10-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Good one. Sounds like you are learning the quirks of our "whiley Whiteys" up here! It has finally cooled off some and is feeling a bit more like fall now. Now the hunting begins as the deer will move more.

Congrats

dawn2dusk
10-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Good one. Sounds like you are learning the quirks of our "whiley Whiteys" up here! It has finally cooled off some and is feeling a bit more like fall now. Now the hunting begins as the deer will move more.

Congrats

Thanks MCA. Your lucky to live in that country. Access to alot of space relative to hunter #'s. Not like here on Southern island. Do you guys much snow later in the year ie. November? Or stays pretty dry year round.

Was amazed at the well beaten paths the whiteys follow. Not like our BT here. I got really into trying to think like a whitey. And spend alot of time walkin their trails. Came into this one clearing of alder or willow. The area had just been stampeded everywhere. Tonnes of rubs and all the trails converged on the area. tried to still hunt it but was too thick and could not find a could spot so backed up one of the trails to where i saw a nice little grassy clearing. Setup on it. On sat. had one whitey sneak up on me. Was busy stewing over the one that I spooked 30min earlier and decided to stretch and sure enough just see the white finger waving at me as he or she bounded into the bush with out a sound. Amazing how they can walk in that dry country with leaves and twigs everywhere without a sound.

I think it was Ruger#1 or Jelvis that told me to get out and walk and you will see so much more. They are right on.

Got tired of pickin up beer empties from one anonymous hunter who I have nick named "budweiser". It seemed like anywheere you could drive to and the end of the drivable part there would be an empty budweiser. this guy need to get a GPS if this is his breadcrumb trail. In fact with the deposit I collected I could contribute $15 to the cause. That not good karma to be tossin garbage out. THe deer gods will frown upon you not to mention the CO. he must have been from osoyoos cause on way home yesterday saw some buds empties every 10min or so in the ditch until i passed osoyoos. I have noticed on the island, that there is a correlation between brand of beer and likelyhood that somone will litter. Here on island around shawnigan, lucky is #1. I am guessin Bud in 8-1. I have never seen higher grade beer empties in ditch ie. heiken, canadian, etc. It really peeves me to see people litterin out there especially when it is as pristine as around your area.

But overall compared to the island, saw very few people and very little garbage in the woods. Was very refreshing and envious that you have this for a backyard.

rocksteady
10-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Congrats, great story, can't wait to see the pictures....

You gotta love solo hunts, the amount you learn and how you can't blame anyone but yourself when you screw up....Ticks you off at the time, but it sounds like you learned some valuable tips...

rocksteady
10-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to add, once you get the pics developed, you will have to change your avatar.....Get rid of the damn fish, this is HUNT BC , not FISH....:wink: :wink:

10-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Right on, you can get into some real hot spots where the deer move through and spend alot of time if you just wander away from the roads (and road hunters). I am with you on the empties. It continually pisses me off when I see empties lying on the roads or in the bush. This is my home, and I feel a bit of an ownership over it. I thought that it was some of us locals that were bothered deeply by the littering that occurs out here. It is good to hear others with the same concerns. I often take my boy out for a ride or atv trip, and I get him picking up the crap at our stops etc.

Thanks for your help in cleaning up my backyard!

dawn2dusk
10-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to add, once you get the pics developed, you will have to change your avatar.....Get rid of the damn fish, this is HUNT BC , not FISH....:wink: :wink:

You got that right bro. that hali was the closest thing I had to killin something big. Will have a my little fork up there soon. Hope pics work out. The hali still bigger though :lol:

Yeah wife and mom were a little concerned about me doing a solo hunt. But as we all know it is hard to find hunting partners you are compatible with. Went on a group hunt last fall. I did enjoy the social aspect in the evenings but there was alot of arguing over $$$, where to go/stay, who gets what cuts of meat, and of course the worst offence in my mind unsafe gun handeling (poor muzzle control, loaded guns in truck, leaning guns against truck, etc) Plus we were hung over alot of time from the night before. Hard to have fun when your worried about your safety.

This trip provided alot of time for self reflection and improvement not only in hunting WT but in life in general. I know it sounds korny. BUt living a faster paced world where people are used to drivin fast, eating fast, not sleeping much, etc. I get going to fast and miss alot. The more people around you it is easier to get distracted. That was the hardiest thing for me last week was to slow down, look around me, observe, and dont expect anything now. The next was managing negative thoughts. By day 4 I was getting pretty discouraged. And spending far too much energy/time dwelling on my lack of success rather than just be grateful for time off work, great weather for sunbathers, beautiful scenery. Turning point was on day 5 (Friday) when I came across a sow blackie and two of her cubs. I was so entertained by the cubs. THey went left than went right, did a circle and back again. They didnt know what to do about me. Mom was very concerned standing on her haunches about 40yrds away making these low grunts at her cubs or maybe me. I am guessing she was saying something like "get the heck over here you stupid kids, how many times do i have to tell you about humans". I got a good chuckle out of it. And helped me to remember that hunting like fishing is not about the catching (nice perk though). Its all about the experience and what YOU make it in your own head. On Sat. I had accepted it was a good hunt whether i bagged anything or not and was just happy to be there. And this is when my luck started changing.

Ozone
10-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Man that a good read. Glad to here you had a good time and connected. Im also glad you got to see what my dad told me when I was just a kid (see my sig line below)

7mmag
10-17-2006, 06:40 AM
It's nice to see Hunters out there that still apriciate the sprit of the hunt and care about the enviroment they hunt in. I'm not one to say no to a beer in the woods, but to just throw the emptys out the window shows total disrespect for the forest and for your fellow hunters. I'd love to see a progarm that asks true hunters to pick those up, drop them off, and donates the money to conservation projects ( mabey when I retire, or get rich :) )

Anyway congrats on your frist bc witey I'm going after mine nov 10

dawn2dusk
10-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Hey check out the new Avatar eh?
Here are some pics as promised. The wound you see is the exit wound. Entry was center of the chest.
Hope you guys can see this i posted in members gallery.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3380&cat=500
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Picture3.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3380&size=big&cat=500)

another one
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3379&cat=500
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/Picture2.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3379)

rocksteady
10-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Thats more like it>>>

How was the balance on the ride out???? Did you have to teach the deer to lean into the corners???

dawn2dusk
10-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Right on - I'm in the club now?!

He liked the ride out on the CT :) . Good biker bitch. Was a little bumpy for him I think. Just kept it slow and up right.

Toughest part was strappin him on the rack. Bike kept trying to fall off over. Got a good work out anyways.

Elkhound
10-17-2006, 09:58 AM
LMAO.......I love that pic on the bike

Ozone
10-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Lets see ya do that with a Harley:lol:

Offroad
10-17-2006, 02:21 PM
sweet good job

Will
10-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Congrats......I like the Bike too:twisted:

10-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I would have liked to have seen you coming down the trail with that load on. I would have had to get a picture for myself.

That spot sure does look familiar!