PDA

View Full Version : new scope dilemma

twoSevenO
10-16-2006, 10:28 AM
well ... my rifle has been selected: Remington 700 CDL lefty in .270 Win.

Now the scope ... ah yes the scope :|
I have been looking at Bushnell 3200 Elite 3-9x40 as well as Leupold VX I 3-9x40. I don't think i need anything better at this time in my life, nor do i want to spend more money then that.

I've been looking at eBay and states, they are a LOT cheaper down there then here. What is the current status of ordering rifle scopes off of eBay and having them shipped to Can? Leupolds are US-made so i'm duty free, however, what are the new laws regarding this, anyone know?

I know this was all forbidden around 2001-2003 ... has anything changed since then?

Also, i have a buddy who lives in Bellingham and i order some stuff down to his house, then go pick it up .... fishing stuff and such, but never a hunting-related item. I'm guessing just picking it up from his house and travelling accross the border is kind of out of the question huh :confused:

Or ... should i just buy in Canada and stop crying about it?

Thanks a lot guys :)

Ozone
10-16-2006, 10:43 AM
A- Leopold
B- Just buy in Canada. Canada doesnt mind you bring them in, but the US doesnt want you takeing them out with out alot of red tape.

Schmaus
10-16-2006, 12:36 PM
I think that the bushnell 3200 is a far superior scope to the vx-I. Maybe different if you go to a vx-III but I think you are better with the bushnell out of your choices.

willyqbc
10-16-2006, 12:50 PM
my wife has the Remington 700 BDL lefty in 270 win....we topped it with a VX-I and have no complaints whatsoever. the VX-I will be a workhorse for you and with that warranty how can you go wrong?

Chris

todbartell
10-16-2006, 01:02 PM
better warranty with the Leup, go with it

SAVAGE300
10-16-2006, 04:12 PM
have a look at the Burris fullfield ll, I mounted one one my win featherwieght 270 and the light tansmission is fantastic, they claim 95 percent, the optics are vivid and internal adjustments are metal not plastic, i chose this scope over all the scopes I looked thru at the sporting good store in low light and bright the 3200 and leo vll wernt as good to me, lifetime warrant as well, price is in the same ball park as the 2 mentioned ubove, just my 2 cents ---- Clay

brotherjack
10-16-2006, 04:30 PM
Either of those scopes is quite adequate for the intended purpose. If it was me choosing, I would buy whichever cost less (which, without bothering to check, I'm almost certain won't be a Leupold). RainGuard is a VeryGoodThing (tm), and don't let anyone kid you - Bushnell's products and warranty service are both pretty good.

twoSevenO
10-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Feedback is very much appreciated, thank you all.

Anyone know where i can read up on how the border treats shipment of scopes? For ex/ If i buy the scope and have it shipped to Bellingham, then have buddy mail it to me. Technically the scope is now used and transffered friend-to-friend, not "imported".

Just tryin to see if there's a way to do it without getting in trouble. I did a search on it on this site and seems quite a few guys have just brought it accross, don't know how long ago that was, with the new rules and what not.

Fisher-Dude
10-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Leupold. Get the Leupold. I'd get the Leupold. Did I mention the Leupold?

Way better scope than anything Bushnell puts out.

brotherjack
10-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Read this quote by One Shot from another thread:

Scopes (optical sights) are listed by the US government as materials of war along with firearms and certain after market fire arm components for export. This means that they require an export licence to ship to certain countries, Canada included. Obtaining an export licence can be time consuming and cost a couple hundred dollars and take a few months. Canada does not require that you have an export licence from the country of origin or an import licence. They only require an import licence from the Canadian government for fire arms which is free and may take from 2 to 6-8 weeks. Most retailers or mail order outlets I know in the US will not sell or ship scopes to Canadians with a lot of them stating so on their website as they have lots to loose if they do so. By buying one on E-Bay and not informing the the seller if he doesn't already know, you may be putting him at risk of a run in with the law.

Scopes how ever do get through the mail, courier or by road but the US agencies do check the mail, couriers and road sytems from time to time and if they find someone exporting scopes (materials of war) with out an export licence there can be severe penalties including jail. It could also prevent you from entering the US or arrest you if you did enter, if you were found to be soliciting for export without a permit. Gun shows and gun shops along the border can sometimes be watched, I know I've seen them and know a couple of agents. With the war on terrorism things are getting tighter, even for us in the US.

It is best to special order what you want from here in Canada. Even getting warranty or repairs done in the US and being returned to you also requires a permit. The existing law does not have any provisions for the return for repairs etc. If you realy want to buy a scope in the US and have a good deal get hold of a Canadian firm called Questar International, they have an office and agents in the US to to obtain the export permit and obtain the scope and ship it to Canada for you.

BTW, I can buy a gun faster any where in Canada under the PAL system than I can in the home state of which I have to be back for at least 90 days.

Nuff said I hope this answers your questions.

For more details, see the following two threads (the latter of which is from whence I appropriated One Shot's description of the issue(s) at hand).
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5521 (http://showthread.php?t=5521)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=7829 (http://showthread.php?t=7829)

Deerwhacker
10-16-2006, 06:43 PM
I havent used the leupold but I have the bushnel on my 300wsm and i tell ya i can see throught it untill there is no light at all(very impressed with the low light preformance) great bang for your buck.

LOC
10-16-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm with Savage - I have a Burris Full Field II on my 700SPS - great scope. Has as good a sight picture as my dad leupold, and I think, slighlty better light.

But since you did have that as a choice I'd go with the Bushnel.

Will
10-17-2006, 03:37 PM
I've had 3 different 3200's and a 4200... I still own a 3200 10x on my Varmint rig. It will be my Last Bushnell:mad:

In your Budget Get the VX I Leo........Essentially it's the same thing as the Older Vari XII series and Noone would say they were Crap;-)

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Here's another thought. Watch the buy n sell section for a good used Leupold VX II. You may get lucky and find one for the same price as a new scope of much lower quality.

sparkymacker
10-17-2006, 04:35 PM
Here's another thought. Watch the buy n sell section for a good used Leupold VX II. You may get lucky and find one for the same price as a new scope of much lower quality.

Also the older 3X9's are actually 42 millimeters, I have both and there is a difference.

mikek blacktail
10-17-2006, 05:05 PM
i've found my bushnell 3200 catchs the sun in the last hour and more than once I couldn't see what I was shooting at do to glare ,there are no screw on sun shades for this model so that why I use leupold now and I have nothing bad to say about it.that's my 2 cents

browningboy
10-17-2006, 06:10 PM
You guys are spent, get the weaver!:lol:

stanway
10-18-2006, 07:09 AM
Both are decent scopes, but the Leupold has a better warranty should you need it.

:)

twoSevenO
10-18-2006, 09:08 AM
well the Leup is winning in the Poll pretty nicely, so it will be the Leup

.... now just to figure out how to save a few bucks on one :D:D

bighornbob
10-18-2006, 10:02 AM
I havent used the leupold but I have the bushnel on my 300wsm and i tell ya i can see throught it untill there is no light at all(very impressed with the low light preformance) great bang for your buck.

I can see through a paper towel roll until there is no night too:biggrin:

You hear way more horror stories from bushnell then from leupold. Go with the leupold

BHB

Amphibious
10-18-2006, 10:05 AM
have owned both. sold the bushnell. will stay on the Leupold wagon from now on. my VX1 has taken everything I've thrown out it. great scope for <$400.

youngfellla
10-18-2006, 11:44 AM
I own both. Never had a problem with either one.

I find the Bushnell is a little better in rainy, wet conditions, the Leupold fogs up more than the Bushnell.

If you're worried about warranty, get the Leupold.

JohnS
10-18-2006, 01:38 PM
http://www.kingoptics.com Have a Look at these, I just bought one and its so clear and bright ..... and made In Canada too! Full Lifetime Warranty also!
Here is what the gunsmith wrote to me in a E-Mail:

The clarity of the glass in these scopes is fantastic. I have had them head to head with a Zeiss Conquest and most users say the King’s are brighter and the worst comparison said there was no difference in clarity etc........

Good Luck!
Cheers...