PDA

View Full Version : Elk in the Tumbler Ridge Area???

.330 Dakota
02-15-2012, 12:08 AM
I see there is a 3pt season in the Tumbler Ridge area and I am wondering if anyone knows if the elk population is good there and what areas to look at.
Not looking for your honey holes just a general idea of the area so I can scout it this year for the fall.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance

moosinaround
02-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Really know your MU boundaries as you head towards the Tumbler area. 7-20 A is the special MU zone with the 3 point season, and it only encompasses parts of the MU's as you get close to Tumbler. Areas outside the 7-20a zones are 6 point or greater on 1 side so be careful of the boundaries. As for elk populations in this area, they are pretty good herds. In the rut you should bag one if you can find a place to hunt that is not over crowded by other hunters. The moose hunters usually have the trails well beat down for the Sept first opening for elk, and the oil and gas folks have nice trails EVERYWHERE!!! so you don't even have to get off your quad to shoot an elk!! Kind of like shooting fish in a barrel, asl Elkdom he will agree!! Moosin

.330 Dakota
02-15-2012, 08:04 AM
Really know your MU boundaries as you head towards the Tumbler area. 7-20 A is the special MU zone with the 3 point season, and it only encompasses parts of the MU's as you get close to Tumbler. Areas outside the 7-20a zones are 6 point or greater on 1 side so be careful of the boundaries. As for elk populations in this area, they are pretty good herds. In the rut you should bag one if you can find a place to hunt that is not over crowded by other hunters. The moose hunters usually have the trails well beat down for the Sept first opening for elk, and the oil and gas folks have nice trails EVERYWHERE!!! so you don't even have to get off your quad to shoot an elk!! Kind of like shooting fish in a barrel, asl Elkdom he will agree!! Moosin

Thanks Moosin, That sounds encouraging,,,

CanuckShooter
02-15-2012, 08:52 AM
7-21 Tumbler Ridge elk....

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/jim13135/018.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/jim13135/014.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/jim13135/008.jpg

We know the area very well, and have been hunting moose and elk there since around 2000. There are lots of good spots, but there is also a lot of industrial activity that wasn't there before. The area is changing year to year so if you can an off season scout would be a good idea.

.330 Dakota
02-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks CS, those pix have my mouth watering already, my whole purpose of this post was to see if I should do a scouting trip in the summer, and from the looks of it it would certainly be worth the trip,,,Thanks Again

.330 Dakota
02-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the input so far Guys, I received a PM from a member that wants to join me for the scouting and possibly the hunt, Thanks Again

elkdom
02-15-2012, 02:34 PM

yep !, pretty much the way moosiaround says it is,,,,,,,,,,,

there is the "ODD" elk around,,,

but most of'em are dead from Ticks, Wolves and FN Hunters,,

ahh $hit,,,,,,,,,,,,,, looks like Canuck$itter shot the "ODD One,,,,,,,,:cry:

CanuckShooter
02-15-2012, 03:07 PM
I hear the real big ones are in the Kootenays. The elk in the Peace are a smaller variety due to the shorter growing season?

hillclimber
02-15-2012, 04:05 PM
so anyone know where the new proposed projects south of tumbler are taking place or at least what roads will be seeing alot more traffic the next year or two.

bowhunterbruce
02-15-2012, 04:47 PM
I hear the real big ones are in the Kootenays. The elk in the Peace are a smaller variety due to the shorter growing season?

i really dont hink he cares about bigger when he was asking about 3 points,
waita go ya nut.ya let the cat outta the bag now. lol:smile:

.330 Dakota
02-15-2012, 06:33 PM
i really dont hink he cares about bigger when he was asking about 3 points,
waita go ya nut.ya let the cat outta the bag now. lol:smile:

Its okay Bruce, I already knew about the Kooteneys elk being bigger, I just never get down that way, and as I understand it there are lots f hunters in the koots. So I will be thrilled with a monster 5x5, then I''ll look at yur backyard..lol

elkdom
02-15-2012, 06:45 PM
so anyone know where the new proposed projects south of tumbler are taking place or at least what roads will be seeing alot more traffic the next year or two.

there will major industrial traffic where-ever there is Natural gas or Coal, which pretty-much covers "EVERYWHERE",,,,,,,,,

what is swamp or heavy bush today, there can a drilling rig and 50 men working 24/7 next week, and that may last from a couple months to a few years, dozens of heavy units a day, if not hundreds of trucks every day, and then there is pipelines and compressor plants,,,,yadah,yadah,yadah

if you plan a hunt in 7B ??
you better have a contingency plan B, plan C, plan D, plan E,,,,,,,,,,, etc,etc

.330 Dakota
02-15-2012, 06:49 PM
there will major industrial traffic where-ever there is Natural gas or Coal, which pretty-much covers "EVERYWHERE",,,,,,,,,

what is swamp or heavy bush today, there can a drilling rig and 50 men working 24/7 next week, and that may last from a couple months to a few years, dozens of heavy units a day, if not hundreds of trucks every day, and then there is pipelines and compressor plants,,,,yadah,yadah,yadah

That sounds like good advice, we usually try and go as "deep" into an area as possible, then hunt the non-road spots from there in. Hope this strategy works there. I will scout several areas in that general area this summer.

moosinaround
02-15-2012, 07:16 PM
That sounds like good advice, we usually try and go as "deep" into an area as possible, then hunt the non-road spots from there in. Hope this strategy works there. I will scout several areas in that general area this summer.
Dakota, getting "deep" into where there are not many people is tough in the 7-20a Zone. It is mainly an agricultural zone with lots of private land holdings. That being said, there is LOTS of public land as well, but is pretty inindated with hunters, especially during the peak rut times! Lots of hunters try to over lap the end of any bull moose, with the beginning of 3pt elk. It quietens down for a week and a half and then gets busy again as the 3 pt/cow elk season opens up on the 15th of Sept. Trying to hunt this area and get deep in the bush is tough. I will be up there again this year, still looking for my 1st bull elk, had to settle for a cow last year! Anyways, good hunting to you, give me a PM if you are looking for more info. Moosin

.330 Dakota
02-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks Moosin, I am kinda lookin toward the area way south of Tumbler now 7-21 after seeing Canuckshooters pix. The 6 pt season works for me too. I just thought it might be nice to see a big 5x5, and thats probably what I"ll see in the 6pt area. Iwas planning to scout it this summer and spend 2-4 days scouting. I will study the maps a bit more before I PM you. Thanks Again

hillclimber
02-15-2012, 09:41 PM

well i was hoping for a bit more precise info than "everywhere" was just looking for info on the BIG new proposed projects around tumbler. did some google earthing and it looks pretty busy south and west of tumbler. i've got a couple back up plans. maybe i'll start keeping a closer eye on areas come summer time. i learned my lesson last year, last minute ended up going to another area. only o&g activity we seen was guys checking different sites and a few gravel trucks the last few days. thinking about trying a new area

.330 Dakota
02-15-2012, 09:43 PM
well i was hoping for a bit more precise info than "everywhere" was just looking for info on the BIG new proposed projects around tumbler. did some google earthing and it looks pretty busy south and west of tumbler. i've got a couple back up plans. maybe i'll start keeping a closer eye on areas come summer time. i learned my lesson last year, last minute ended up going to another area. only o&g activity we seen was guys checking different sites and a few gravel trucks the last few days. thinking about trying a new area

What about waaay south of Tumbler along side of 7-19?

CanuckShooter
02-15-2012, 09:46 PM
I heard of big mines going in around the Belcourt/wapiti areas s/e of tumbler....not sure about it though.

.330 Dakota
02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
I heard of big mines going in around the Belcourt/wapiti areas s/e of tumbler....not sure about it though.

Thanks CS , I will look for signs of that this summer

elkdom
02-16-2012, 09:15 AM
What about waaay south of Tumbler along side of 7-19?

any roads into southern 7-19 have major coal development and O&G traffic, there is very good elk and moose hunting in 7-19 if you can get back away from the disturbances, bull Elk that go 350 and bigger are not uncommon, but most of them go home with yankee hunters from guided hunts

.330 Dakota
02-16-2012, 06:42 PM
any roads into southern 7-19 have major coal development and O&G traffic, there is very good elk and moose hunting in 7-19 if you can get back away from the disturbances, bull Elk that go 350 and bigger are not uncommon, but most of them go home with yankee hunters from guided hunts

Wow, amazing that there is that much traffic in what looks like a remote area, I will see how deep I can get in there this summer, thanks for the heads up

REMINGTON JIM
02-16-2012, 06:48 PM
7-21 Tumbler Ridge elk....

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/jim13135/018.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/jim13135/014.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd486/jim13135/008.jpg

We know the area very well, and have been hunting moose and elk there since around 2000. There are lots of good spots, but there is also a lot of industrial activity that wasn't there before. The area is changing year to year so if you can an off season scout would be a good idea.

That you CS ?? You are one ugly BASTA*D ! You would scare bears out of a dump ! Wouldn't even need a stick ! LMAO RJ

REMINGTON JIM
02-16-2012, 06:50 PM

Well maybe 330 dakota and i will just have to change that - right dakota ! Cheers RJ

.330 Dakota
02-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Yes Sir RJ we can give it our best shot

CanuckShooter
02-16-2012, 08:38 PM
That you CS ?? You are one ugly BASTA*D ! You would scare bears out of a dump ! Wouldn't even need a stick ! LMAO RJ

No ;-) not eye!!