PDA

View Full Version : 6x8 okanagan elk

bcfarmer
10-16-2006, 07:31 AM
if someone who knows how to post pics from emails, pms me their email address, i have pics of this years 6x8 elk shot in the okanagan sent to me by a freind...sorry thats all the info i have on it.

mark
10-16-2006, 07:41 AM
PM sent, send it over! Post up a story with details!

bcfarmer
10-16-2006, 07:56 AM
back at ya mark

mark
10-16-2006, 08:13 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/elk_003.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3364&limit=last7)

mark
10-16-2006, 08:14 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/elk_004.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3365&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

mark
10-16-2006, 08:15 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/elk_007.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3366&limit=recent)

BCrams
10-16-2006, 08:17 AM
You had a dump of snow already like that in the Okanogan ?? That is a super bull though.

mark
10-16-2006, 08:17 AM
Ok farmer theres yer pics, VERY impressive! Whats the story? Whats that hawg score? Was it taken in the open season? My guess is the castlegar LEH area!

bcfarmer
10-16-2006, 08:23 AM
sorry mark,
only info i have is it came out of okanagan/naramata area..score 350something....will try and get more info...maybe guys in that area can comment???

mark
10-16-2006, 10:14 AM
Man i got to start to hunt those suckers around here! Thats an amazing bull! Didnt know stuff like that lived around here!

ursus
10-16-2006, 10:33 AM
I know of 2 big ones taken in Naramata this fall. This could be one of them. A guy I know just missed a brute near Mt Baldy just over a week ago he said it was 8x something.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-16-2006, 11:24 AM
I've got an email of one taken outside the fire area. It was taken during a snow squall first thing in the morning and was bedded down covered in snow. Nice 6x7 but not as nice as this one.
Most bulls in the area have crappy geneitcs but there is still the occcasional bull out there that drops your jaw.

SSS

browningboy
10-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Nice bull! Its good to see some elk pics from the lower part of BC.:twisted:

WoodOx
10-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Aye, gorgeous. Any pics with a head/body still attached? Hard to figure how big it is without anyway to relate - to me though (I dont know a TON about scoring elk) but it looks alot bigger than 350

valleycowboy
10-17-2006, 05:02 AM
very very nice bull.the elk in the okanagan are starting to show up more and more.we seen 3 nice bulls about a month before the season,one 6x6,6x5,5x5.been huntin them but no luck.

J_T
10-18-2006, 07:39 AM
Keep in mind a (at the time) world record bull elk was found dead in the ice of the Arrow lakes near Shelter bay. If I come across my photo I'll post it, but this thing scored well over 400.

That location and the okanagan, are well within reach of a migration or movement of an elk herd looking for new winter range.

JT

WoodOx
10-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Very good point JT - though I have been hunting a lot around the upper arrow lakes and revelstoke (spring bear) and have never seen any elk sign (doesnt mean they arent there though). Someone was telling me the cariboo are ont he verge of extinction in that specific area, but we saw a ton of em, way more than deer.

If you cna find that pic of the arrow lakes elk that would be wicked.

30-06
10-18-2006, 06:36 PM
that is an amazingly beautiful bull..congrates

Fisher-Dude
10-18-2006, 08:13 PM
I know exactly where this bull was shot. I've been pounding that area hard for the last 5 or 6 years with my hunting partner, and the only bull we've seen during a hunting season was a 4 point he saw this year. We saw some cows/calves/spikes there one summer. That's it. The elk are still very spread out in the Okanagan and therefore it takes a pile of luck to run into one, especially a hog like this. I'm hoping that with enough time on the mountain and a lot of luck, I may get one here one year. But I'll always spend my holidays elk hunting in a different region (4 or 7B) because I know my odds are way better where there are more elk.

mark
10-18-2006, 08:18 PM
I know exactly where this bull was shot. I've been pounding that area hard for the last 5 or 6 years with my hunting partner, and the only bull we've seen during a hunting season was a 4 point he saw this year. We saw some cows/calves/spikes there one summer. That's it. The elk are still very spread out in the Okanagan and therefore it takes a pile of luck to run into one, especially a hog like this. I'm hoping that with enough time on the mountain and a lot of luck, I may get one here one year. But I'll always spend my holidays elk hunting in a different region (4 or 7B) because I know my odds are way better where there are more elk.

Thanks for that stement FD, now i dont feel like ive been missing out on something! :roll:

dana
10-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Great bull. I think the 350's is pretty darn close. I can remember seeing a set of sheds back in the 80's off a bull from OK Mtn that was an absolute giant. I never was lucky to drop a bull in there but had a lot of bugling action and came close on many an occasion. In the 80's I knew several locals that got there bulls every year. I'm sure those locals are still doing it too.
As for the Arrowhead bull, I firmly believe it is a World Away from the Okanagan herd. ;)

Stone Sheep Steve
10-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Dana-Remember, back then it was 3 pt or better and open until Nov 15th. Things are a "little" tougher now. These days there are lots of people looking but not many are finding:roll: .

SSS

Fisher-Dude
10-18-2006, 08:58 PM
Great bull. I think the 350's is pretty darn close. I can remember seeing a set of sheds back in the 80's off a bull from OK Mtn that was an absolute giant. I never was lucky to drop a bull in there but had a lot of bugling action and came close on many an occasion. In the 80's I knew several locals that got there bulls every year. I'm sure those locals are still doing it too.
As for the Arrowhead bull, I firmly believe it is a World Away from the Okanagan herd. ;)

350s, yup. If the shed you remember was the one that Rusty F picked up, I saw it too and it had to be a 365+. He did well on elk here, but he had shitters to hunt the park and put in his time. My dad also got a few here in the 50s and 60s when there was access in the park.

That Crawford Bay elk is indeed from a different herd. I have a pic of my brother holding the antlers somewhere, but not digital. It's from the West Kootenay herd, and it's highly unlikely that a WK elk will leave prime range and migrate hundreds of miles to marginal range. That's why there aren't more elk in the Okanagan...there just isn't enough prime remote range for them.

dana
10-18-2006, 09:17 PM
I saw the sheds at a gunshow in Penticton one year. I don't recall who picked them up but I do recall a huge droptine.
As for marginal range, I think that fire you boys had a few years back probably created some excellent range. I remember spending hours behind the spotter looking out my Aunt's living room window in Peachland, watching bulls just above the lake. I wonder how many elk a guy would be able to glass up now on the winter range since everything has opened up. ;)

SSS,
I seem to recall a 6 point season, but maybe my memory is fading and mixing up the seasons in the Koots. Things are definately different now for sure.

Fisher-Dude
10-18-2006, 09:38 PM
As for marginal range, I think that fire you boys had a few years back probably created some excellent range. I remember spending hours behind the spotter looking out my Aunt's living room window in Peachland, watching bulls just above the lake. I wonder how many elk a guy would be able to glass up now on the winter range since everything has opened up. ;)

The fire created some great range, but I think the access is still too easy through most of the eastern part of it, and that is tough on 6 point populations. It was undoubtedly the best thing for the park where dana was watching the bulls on the winter range.

There was talk a few years ago of introducing some new genetics into the herd as well, as they are getting a bit inbred. I don't think it happened.

There is a high percentage of non-typicals and bizzarre antler growth. Even the bulls my dad got from the herd 50 years ago have odd antlers.