PDA

View Full Version : Fletching glue review

mikeboehm
02-14-2012, 10:31 PM
What is the best strongest glue for carbon arrows. I'm using bohning platinum for my zeon fusion vanes but they seem to come apart once in a while. I'm wondering what's better

allan
02-14-2012, 11:31 PM
I think the stuff I use is called goat tuff. (do not get it on your fingers!!!, I figured that out on my own) but before you glue your vanes on, make sure you use a cleaner on the bare shaft and on the vanes themselves. Let the shafts dry completely before gluing. After gluing I like to leave them sit for awhile, several hrs at least before use. It goes along ways to making the first glue job last. I was shooting a bit with the zeon fusions but went back to a 4" duravane RH helical, for clearence issues and my friends were convinced that the zeon fusions made more noise

mikeboehm
02-15-2012, 07:54 AM
I use the zeon vane with my pse omen pro and I don't notice any noise

StoneChaser
02-15-2012, 08:03 AM
I've had excellent luck with the AAE FASTSET GEL with Blazer vanes...seems impossible to pull them off (I've tried).

Last night I fletched up an arrow with the Loc Tite Super Glue Pro.....seems to be same stuff (maybe a little runnier), but is 1/4 the price of the gel (doing it more as an experiment as a cost saving measure though).

Seems to be on there...I couldn't pull or twist it off the arrow.

Bow Walker
02-15-2012, 12:30 PM
These notes/votes are for carbon shafts - not wood or aluminum shafts...........

Another vote for AAE Fastset gel. I've used it for both Duravanes and Blazers. It works. I've also used both Goat Tuff and Bohning Platinum - they also work well.

The key to any gluing job is to clean the shaft and then to let the arrow set up over night before you use it.

StoneChaser
02-20-2012, 03:57 PM
I've had excellent luck with the AAE FASTSET GEL with Blazer vanes...seems impossible to pull them off (I've tried).

Last night I fletched up an arrow with the Loc Tite Super Glue Pro.....seems to be same stuff (maybe a little runnier), but is 1/4 the price of the gel (doing it more as an experiment as a cost saving measure though).

Seems to be on there...I couldn't pull or twist it off the arrow.

Update....two of the vanes blew off with the Loctite glue once I shot in the cold.....the AAE Fastset gel has never done that.

Guess I'll stick with it......

RoscoeP
02-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Fusion vanes recommend a glue with cyanoacrylate in it like crazy glue. I prefer the gel type. Cheers Roscoe ps. I did have to look up the spelling of that word.

willyqbc
02-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Just from personal experience over the years

AAE fastset gel - will hold very well initially but down the road, say a year later, it seems to get brittle and we started losing vanes regularly

Bohning platinum - the only time I ever had fletches come off was when i got lazy and didn't clean the vane before glueing, lots of vanes have a dust on the base that creates a barrier between vane and shaft, when both components are cleaned properly I almost never loose vanes with this glue.

My family generally has about 10 dozen arrows in use at any given time so over the last 10 years I have seen lots of arrows used in any and all conditions and temperatures. For my money i would stay away from the fast setting glues as they become "solid" when they dry, other glues like the bohning platinum retain some "flexibility" when dry and seem to survive a variety of conditions better.

Just my opinion
Chris

allan
02-21-2012, 09:34 AM
I use the zeon vane with my pse omen pro and I don't notice any noise

The only way my friends said they could hear the difference in noise was when they stood safely behind a wall as the arrow sailed past their heads at about halfway down the range. I would get them to close their eyes and one friend could pick the different arrows out every time. The other guy couldn't. I was the one shooting so I could never tell the difference.

mikeboehm
02-21-2012, 06:35 PM
I never had a problem with bohning platinum glue with blazer vanes but whe I switched to fusion zeon vanes they would come off. I'm going to try superglue gel

Barracuda
02-21-2012, 07:25 PM
i am useing bohning fltch tite and it really doesnt work all that well for aluminum. Will it work better for the carbon?

Bow Walker
02-21-2012, 07:27 PM
i am useing bohning fltch tite and it really doesnt work all that well for aluminum. Will it work better for the carbon?
It's made for carbon shafts..............

Barracuda
02-21-2012, 08:06 PM
ahh that explains it lol . it says aluminum wood and glass on it but i figured it would probably work best on one type.

hunter1993ap
02-21-2012, 08:46 PM
another vote for the fast dry gel it works good for me and it was the eisiest to work with i found.