PDA

View Full Version : 7-18 info

kebes
02-13-2012, 06:39 PM
New to Prince George, looking into a few different areas. I'm looking for someone to help me out a bit with info on 7-18. Most of my questions are concerning access ie. how far can you get up walker creek forest service road, do you need a 4x4 or will my car be able to make it a fair ways in. I'm hoping to head out there this spring to do some exploring but a little preliminary info is always good. Thanks!

trebreklaw
02-13-2012, 06:51 PM
The road was washed out last fall at about 32 KMs where it first meets the McGregor.

I understand they are going to fix it this spring.

The road is good enough for a car with care. Some spots are rough or covered with beaver dam water at times.

It is not a great hunting road as it is quite grown in . No logging for quite a few years.

Barracuda
02-13-2012, 07:19 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/kakwa/

if it is fixed again it will be after the spring melt from what i understand and it may not even get fixed, sometime in 2012 is the hopeful date.

kebes
02-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Looks like some nice basins off of that road a guy could hike into...cut blocks aren't necessary :D

Ambush
02-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Looks like some nice basins off of that road a guy could hike into...cut blocks aren't necessary :D

You likely won't get a car up the Walker untill later in June. And you won't go far unless you really hate your ride.

Some nice hiking once you're through the slash and trees. Many of the good, lush valleys have a resident grizzly. Some nicer, more accessable areas just south of the highway.

swampthing
02-15-2012, 09:29 AM
The underbrush is very thick in the valley bottoms and a bitch to get through. The basins are steep and rugged. They attract me and I have been in a few but its a tough haul. The other access was washed out to [pass lk rd] and made it a quad only access.

jml11
02-15-2012, 10:03 AM
The underbrush is very thick in the valley bottoms and a bitch to get through. The basins are steep and rugged. They attract me and I have been in a few but its a tough haul. The other access was washed out to [pass lk rd] and made it a quad only access.

The road to Pass Lake was repaired late this fall with a new bridge at the washout location. You should have no issues accessing the Herrick area as long as there are no new washouts this spring...