PDA

View Full Version : Maui fishing trip

Islandeer
02-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Hey all,

Went on a trip yesterday with Fuzzy fron DieHard Charters out of La hiena.

What a blast,15 yellowfin tuna to 30 lbs and 3 Mai mai to 27 lbs. Best boat,consistantly out fishes the rest.

Pics when I get back.

Mahola

MB_Boy
02-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Hey Islandeer......great to hear about the success. I will be there on Thursday til the 26th and am going to look around for a charter to get out on.

branthunter
02-13-2012, 11:19 AM
You are a lucky fisher. I don't know how much $ I've spent there on fish charters w/o catching a thing.

warnniklz
02-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Man that''s so cool. Can't wait for pictures

02-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Officially jealous....;)

Ruger4
02-13-2012, 12:12 PM
whats a charter like that worth ?

MB_Boy
02-13-2012, 01:02 PM
whats a charter like that worth ?

Hey Ruger.....it varies by the operator but generally if you want to charter the boat solo you'll be looking at $900-$1200 depending on the boat for 8 hours. In the Hawaiian Islands you can generally find 6 or 8 hour charters available with most operators and for those prices you can have anywhere from 4-6 on the boat. Most operators also will let you do a shared charter which generally run in about the $200 per head range; it is generally based on their ability to sell the other spots.

We did a shared charter in Kauai just before Xmas...$200 for the two of us and we were with another couple from somewhere in the midwest states; had a great time. The fishing wasn't "on fire" so I am glad we just did the shared instead of chartering the entire boat but had we had 2 more friends over there with us I am sure we would have just taken the boat.

Ioneth
02-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Went to Hawaii last month fishing is one thing I didn't do. Next time I go I'll have to try and go spear fishing

MB_Boy
02-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Went to Hawaii last month fishing is one thing I didn't do. Next time I go I'll have to try and go spear fishing

Although it costs a bit more.....try and get yourself on a shared charter. It truly is awesome being out on the water and the smiles from a few tuna, dorado.....sailfish, spearfish or even a marlin will have you smiling for years to come. Add to that.....you'll see plenty of humpbacks and dolphins out there too if you were there at this time of the year.

redthorn
02-13-2012, 08:04 PM
if you're in Lahaina, Try looking up "Spearfish Maui." I did an afternoon with them last fall, and it was the best thing to do in Hawaii BY FAR!!!

The lessson part before you go out seems to drag on since you're so ready to hit the water, but it makes a huge difference to your ability to dave well. I probably tripled my subsurface time from what I was learned.

And the actuall fishing is a riot. It's really a hunt, and you use a slingshot style speargun, not some hand spear. You'll dive and use coral as cover while stalking out the gamefish he points out. The fish are real wary, but you should get a few.

As a bonus, a lot of the fish you'll focus on are an introduced species(Peacock Grouper or Roi) that are a pest to the reef. Whack 'em and stack 'em.

I dove with Jeremy, the owner, in October, and he'll do a trip out with even one client. Awesome, awesome guide and a ton of fun.

Islandeer
02-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Well back on the Rock,should be able to post pics tomorrow ... I know, wheres the god dammned pics!!

So my share of the boat cost was 220.00, there was 6 anglers on the charter. The boat is a Bertram, and we fished way off the back side of Lanai from Lahiena.

The run is about 2 hrs or so,and we leave the dock at 2 am. Very Hardcore boat,total pros who get it done. by far the best boat IMO from Lahiena. Pretty amazing to be fishing in 6000 ft of water!!!!

We had an amazing feed of Ahi sushi on the dock, which drew a very interested crowd. So my short term apologies re pics but they will show soon.

Remember, Die Hard charter's with capt Fuzzy!!!

Islandeer
02-17-2012, 10:56 PM
A couple of Maui fish pics in my gallery

srupp
02-21-2012, 10:42 PM
hmmm pretty awesome..the guys that headed out from Oahu..last week came home by 11 am..sick sick sick..20 foot swells..same day saw 30 foot waves on the North shore..yup jealous you got some fishing water..

even some of the night cruise dinner ships got rocked hard...

Mahalo...

srupp

The Hermit
02-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Ha! I was in Hawaii twice last year, love the place! I think we should arrange an HBC Hunt/Fish trip to Hawaii! Great deer and pig hunting with the bows, and obviously great fishing and spear fishing! Can you think of a better way to kill a month in the off season?? Rent a big condo for a month and roll a few guys through the month! Maui with a hunting trip over to Molokai!! Mahalo!

The Dude
02-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Mai Mai or Mahi Mahi?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahi-mahi

srupp
02-22-2012, 01:49 AM
even if I didnt get out fishing STILL had a blast..was a thoroughly enjoyable 2 weeks////

steven

Islandeer
02-23-2012, 09:35 AM
I think it's Mahi Mahi .. or dorado, beautiful fighting fish that grills up amazingly!!

Srupp: Agree,Maui is an amazing place,our 2 weeks was well spent as well. Paddling with the humpbacks at 40 yds,snorkeling away from the tours and hearing the clicking of spinning dolphins was very cool. the Maui Beach watch guys actually shut down Big Beach due to an 11 ft tiger shark that was patrolling the beach 30 yds off shore, I was snorkelling at the time a mile past there at the end of the road down from the lava fielsd. heard about the shark on the radio driving back to the condo,sharks are like our grizz, mostly pretty amicable ...
Mai Mai or Mahi Mahi?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahi-mahi