PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping pad

Brambles
02-12-2012, 02:41 PM
I need a new lightweight sleeping pad for this years september trips, i want something real nice and thick, r-value is unimportant.

I have the
z-lite which is yoo skinny and bulky
Downmat7 too heavy, bulky and don't need the r-value
Standard thermarest, too skinny

I sleep like a baby on my downmat so something simular in loft but closer to the 1 lb mark. Plus its gotta be durable, compact and patchable.
Im 6'2" and 230lbs so durability is gotta be good. My shoulders are wide so i need a 25" wide pad too.

Anyone got dome suggestions and reviews?

Maxx
02-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Based on what you already have, I would go with the Neo Air, it is a thick comfortable mat. However, I have had a few cold August nights where I wish I had my Exped Mat with me.

http://cascadedesigns.com/en/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/neoair/product

shallowH2O
02-12-2012, 03:16 PM
exped symat 7 or 9. im bigger than you and sleep like a baby on it. rocky ground, no issues

TSW
02-12-2012, 03:51 PM
NeoAir has a new mat out that brings double the R-Value from the original. It's called the All-Season. Still light, but is more durable than the original, comes with a stuff sac etc. Seems like a great all around option. Regular size is 540grams, obviously the larger is slightly heavier, but still around the 1lb mark.

Squire
02-12-2012, 04:13 PM
I bought a couple of the Thermarest Prolite last year in the Large size (25" x 77" ) for my son and I. I am 6'1" and 235 and my son is about 6'3" 250. Our bigger size also means that we are likely to feel more of the irregularities in the ground than someone with a lighter footprint. These Prolite aren't bad but you need to make sure you remove any 'nuggets' before you get too cozy in your sleeping bag. The label said 22 oz in weight but I know it definitely doesn't weigh any more than that. I have packed the 3/4 length over the years to save weight but I have found that my bad knees get worse sleeping on hard, cold ground than they do packing a couple of extra ounces.

Buck
02-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Big Agnes with primaloft insulation very light and comfy and the price point is very good.Can be bought at Rei Mec or Cabelas

www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Pad/InsulatedAirCore

358mag
02-12-2012, 05:04 PM
exped symat 7 or 9. im bigger than you and sleep like a baby on it. rocky ground, no issues
X2 by far the best lightest,warmest, back pack sleeping mate that I have even used

BCbillies
02-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Based on what you already have, I would go with the Neo Air, it is a thick comfortable mat. However, I have had a few cold August nights where I wish I had my Exped Mat with me.

Having just slept on the NeoAir in -10 I was pleasantly suprised with the comfort. Go with the new All-Season model which is a little tougher/warmer and you're good to go any time of the year!

TSW
02-12-2012, 09:16 PM
NeoAir has a new mat out that brings double the R-Value from the original. It's called the All-Season. Still light, but is more durable than the original, comes with a stuff sac etc. Seems like a great all around option. Regular size is 540grams, obviously the larger is slightly heavier, but still around the 1lb mark.

Whoops I misread--I thought you said R-value IS important! Regardless, the Neoair is still a top choice and for the extra 90 grams you might as well get the added durability of the all-season model.

Good Old Outdoors
02-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Check out the therma rests that they have at cabelas. I know they have the standard size and a longer and woder one too, not too sure about the weight though. Personally i just use the foam thermarest ridge rest, its thinner, but suits me fine

moondog
02-12-2012, 09:30 PM
know a guy with the down-filled exped sleeping mat, and he says it is the best investment ever made...it is relatively light, packs down small and is warm and cozy...

mark
02-12-2012, 09:47 PM
know a guy with the down-filled exped sleeping mat, and he says it is the best investment ever made...it is relatively light, packs down small and is warm and cozy...

X2 downmat exped 7 is so awesome!!!!! highly reccomend!

boxhitch
02-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Have used my set-up for up two 20 days in a row and no complaints
1 1/2" self-inflate of any make, topped with a 2" cheap foamie , 3 x 7 tarp of sorts for a bottom layer
Makes a nice top pack

Brambles
02-13-2012, 01:07 AM
X2 downmat exped 7 is so awesome!!!!! highly reccomend!

I already own that model, looking for something lighter for early season hunts, don't need the r-value in september but would like the thicker mat so its nice and comfy.

BlacktailStalker
02-13-2012, 09:01 AM
I've been happy with the Neo Air (6'3" 235lbs)

ytlogger
02-15-2012, 09:50 PM
I got a Neo last year, with the reflective layer to increase r-value. Super light and I slept warm. As well, the surface is kind of tacky so you don't slide around. I am about 230lbs and wider than average and the size is good for me.

358mag
02-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Have used my set-up for up two 20 days in a row and no complaints
1 1/2" self-inflate of any make, topped with a 2" cheap foamie , 3 x 7 tarp of sorts for a bottom layer
Makes a nice top pack
But you have a horse to pack it:mrgreen:

bruin
02-15-2012, 11:15 PM
I was given a Neo air and popped it within a week, duct tape worked but not impressed. Went back to my Prolite of 5 years. Very durable and relatively comfy, lightweight.

bruin
02-15-2012, 11:16 PM
If I had a horse I'd bring a queen sized inflatable air mattress!

Brambles
02-15-2012, 11:25 PM
I was given a Neo air and popped it within a week, duct tape worked but not impressed. Went back to my Prolite of 5 years. Very durable and relatively comfy, lightweight.

Were you sleeping in a rock pile?

bruin
02-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Belt buckle.

Brambles
02-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Belt buckle.

Would any sleeping pad faired any different?

boxhitch
02-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Were you sleeping in a rock pile?

Belt buckle.

Won't go there

todbartell
02-16-2012, 12:49 PM
I just picked up a Thermarest NeoAir, 16oz w/ stuff sack. 2.5" thick. $170

BCbillies
02-16-2012, 01:08 PM
I just picked up a Thermarest NeoAir, 16oz w/ stuff sack. 2.5" thick. $170

Good choice. You should be fine . . . just don't get too wild on the mat! :wink: You didn't go with the All-Season?

todbartell
02-16-2012, 01:24 PM
I was going to, but ended up with this one when I seen it on the shelf at Sportsmans Warehouse in Reno. My old pad was 2.75lbs and half the thickness, and no R value - so Im happy!

bruin
02-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Would any sleeping pad faired any different?

I'm not sure. If you compare the two, the Neo Air material is very thin vs a Prolite.

Everett
02-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Neo Air is the choice if you want light and comfy I love mine. Once it gets past -10 I switch back to a thermarest the neo air is to cold at that temp.

Brambles
02-18-2012, 10:31 AM
http://cascadedesigns.com/en/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/neoair-trekker/product

found this model on their website, my impression is the trekker is a little more solid construction and they are the first ones that I"ve found make the large torso model where its only 4ft in lenght but 25" wide. Not sure what it would be like to sleep on a 2.5" 3/4 length pad, on a shallower pad you won't notice the step down or can put clothes under your legs to shim yourself up, but 2.5" is a big step and I might not have enough spare clothes on a backpack hunt to shim my legs up.

Never used a 3/4 lenght pad so what do you guys who have figure?

ryanb
02-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I would go with the full length. Having used torso length mats, the weight savings is never worth the comfort sacrifice.

Ambush
02-18-2012, 01:14 PM
I bought the NeoAir when it first came out, so it's the narrow one. I'm 5'-11" and 190 lbs and it's very doable for me, but if buying again, I might go for the wider one.
I've spent quite a few nights on it and was impressed right form the first night.
Can't beat the packed size or the weight. This past season, we did a late September sheep hunt and I just took along a Z-Lite to put on the mattress and found it to be plenty warm. With this combo you have the option of taking the extra insulation [and weight] or not. The Z-Lite is also great for extended glassing periods and general camp comfort.

I used a Therma Rest self-inflating mattress for many years. It was wide and thick and very comfy, but the NeoAir is definitely superior in all ways except insulation.
Everybody has to decide to tip the balance toward weight or comfort depending on personal preferences. Some guys can sleep on the ground and figure the trade off of not having the weight of a pad on their back all day is justified. Others figure a good nights sleep is a better hunting strategy.

My NeoAir is on it's third season and so far not a hitch. I did make sure that I had the CORRECT patch kit incase of a leak. I do think it was pretty chincey of Thermarest not to include a patch kit with the mattress, or at least make them available at the point of purchase.

And I would never consider a pad that was not full length, unless it was the 3/4 Z-Lite to be used as a pad topper/camp lounger. The Z-Lite is also an emergency back-up incase a wolverine tears up your inflatable 'cause it smells like the Mountain House you spilled on it.

My vote is for the NEOAir

BCbillies
02-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Ambush - what is the CORRECT patch kit for the NeoAir should the need arise? I've just been packing the Kenyon type repair tape assuming this would suffice . . .

TSW
02-18-2012, 02:58 PM
My NeoAir is on it's third season and so far not a hitch. I did make sure that I had the CORRECT patch kit incase of a leak. I do think it was pretty chincey of Thermarest not to include a patch kit with the mattress, or at least make them available at the point of purchase.

The new(er) All Season NeoAir comes with a patch kit and a stuff sack that doubles as a pump from what I read...not to mention twice the R value, for very minimal weight difference.

Brambles, if you're looking for a bigger mattress, it also comes in a large size which is 25"x77". It's lighter than the trekker, and it's full length...seems like a win/win.

Brambles
02-18-2012, 04:16 PM
I went and bought the regular sized neoair, i tried it out in the store and it was wide enough, even with my 26" wide exped I need to put clothes under my elbows or they are riding on the tent floor, so i figured if im doing that anyways then just get the 20" and save size and weight. Mine weighed out at 13.2 ounces on a digital scale! Packs up to
7 3/4" x 3 3/4" which it real small for a sleeping mat. The reflective insulation really works, definitly feel warmer laying on it. Comes with a alcohol swab and three preglued peel and stick 1" square patches!

Wrongside
02-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Good choice, Brambles.

I really, really like my Downmat7, but think it'll get relegated to later season use once I find a new Neoair All-season. It's an easy spot to cut weight and a little bulk.

Ambush
02-18-2012, 08:46 PM
The trick to a good night on the NeoAir is to blow it up quite firm and then very slowly let air out while you're laying on it in your regular sleeping position.

Too firm is not comfy for long.

srupp
02-21-2012, 10:47 PM
I have used the Thermarest base camp?? model..slept like a baby..very durable also...

Steven

TSW
02-25-2012, 12:09 AM
I just noticed that MEC no longer advertises the regular NeoAir, only the All Season model. As well, they and another company I have used no longer has the Downmat Exped 7...it looks like it's being replaced with the Downmat 7 UL...basically the exact same weight as the NeoAir All Season, but about 2 inches bigger rolled up, and more R value. No more integrated pump, instead the stuff sack is the pump.
MEC prices on each right now:
NeoAir $145.
Exped Downmat UL 7...wait for it...$235. Ouch. If you've got the money, I'm sure it's nice, but I doubt it's $100 nicer than the NeoAir All Season!

Iltasyuko
02-25-2012, 12:26 PM
There is a Therm-a-Rest Neo Air for sale in the Off Topics section of Buy and Sell on Hunting BC right now.

TSW
03-10-2012, 12:13 PM
These things continue to get better. For those with a little extra money kicking around this may be on your wish list. Check out how fast this thing inflates!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA9u8Hc39EQ

BackPackHunter
04-04-2012, 09:23 PM
I think your looking for one of thees.
NeoAir XLite Large ..
R-Value 3.2, Weight 460 g, Width 25", Length 77", Thickness 2.5"

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/neoair-xlite/product