PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Choice for backcountry hunt??

knightcc
02-12-2012, 11:45 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a good spotting scope and I was wondering what people use for a lightweight quality tripod for their spotter. This would be used for backcountry muley and sheep hunts. Thanks for the help!

islandhunter
02-12-2012, 11:58 AM
I picked up a SLIK compact from future shop for $60 dollars. It's been on a few hunts and still holding up fine. It extends to 36" or so.
I am also curious what guys are using.

bigwhiteys
02-12-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm using a Manfrotto 718 SHB... $99 on eBay. Weighs like 2.5 lbs. Others are using it and liking it... Extends to 48". There are lighter options.

Carl

300rum700
02-12-2012, 01:29 PM
I bought a vortex high country and am happy with it. Goes down to 18 inches yet extends high enough to stand and view, weighs 2 pounds and only cost 100 bucks. It also has a quick dissconect for the head which is nice on the mountain for storage.

Cordillera
02-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Slik from MEC. pretty cheap and it is light. Too short for standing but perfect height for sitting or prone position. It's stood up to half a dozen hard hunts and is reasonably stable.

Brambles
02-14-2012, 10:45 PM
The cats ass was the slik 613CF but i hear they don't make that model anymore. They do make one a bit bigger and a touch heavier. Think its a 624CF or something like that.

BCbillies
02-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Cullmann with a ballhead . . . extends from 13" to 34" and weighs 19.8 oz. Has worked well for me over the last 10 years.

coach
02-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Manfrotto 7322YB - http://www.manfrotto.com/m-y-mini-4-section-tripod-with-ball-head
I went with this model with the ball head and will be looking into whether I can purchase a different head to attach. Primarily, my tripod has been used for photos and video - although I also use it with my spotting scope.

Skull Hunter
02-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Another vote for the Slick... I have the Compact II. My only complaint is that the spotting scope needs to be re-tightened onto the platform a little more often than I'd like, but otherwise it's good!

todbartell
02-15-2012, 01:38 PM
I need a tripod this year. Anybody seen/used the Vortex Summit SS? 2lbs it says and around 40" max height

KodiakHntr
02-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Nope, but Myself and a buddy both have the Highcountry. Light, stable, seem ok. Other than the ball socket head, which on both has the retaining screw loosen off on its own, and the levers for tightening them fall off.

Looks like the SS uses the same system. Mine was lost forever and I had to Jimmy rig a new adjustment system with an antler pedicle and some jb weld for a sheep trip. Hoped it would hang on for the trip, but it's been good for 6 months now.

MountainHigh
02-15-2012, 03:36 PM
I bought a couple Slik 613CF's. These are a good compromise for weight/height/stability. I looked for years for the lightest one.

KevinB
02-15-2012, 09:32 PM
I had one of the original slik compacts and it was good enough, and very light and small. Only thing was I wasn't a fan of the threaded leg adjustments. Along came the compact II with the flip-lock adjusters, so I picked one up. One of the legs fell apart after 2days of easy use. Hopefully it was just a bad one because I like the weight and size and the new leg adjustment system. I will probably try out another one and see what happens.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
02-15-2012, 10:32 PM
I need a tripod this year. Anybody seen/used the Vortex Summit SS? 2lbs it says and around 40" max height

i just got one and i like it...you can have the best glass but if your shaking around unsteady it turns your good glass to sh$t

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
02-15-2012, 10:40 PM
sorry i have the vortex ridgeview, my bad but i still like it on the heavy side...

bruin
02-15-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm using a Manfrotto 718 SHB... $99 on eBay. Weighs like 2.5 lbs. Others are using it and liking it... Extends to 48". There are lighter options.

Carl

x2, Carl got me onto this one and I've been very happy with it. But, it depends on what scope you're using. It may be overkill. It depends on the weight and dimension of your scope. Heavier the scope = heavier tripod.
Also, be sure it has an attachement to clip in and out. Its been a big time saver.

bigwhiteys
02-16-2012, 08:16 AM
x2, Carl got me onto this one and I've been very happy with it. But, it depends on what scope you're using. It may be overkill. It depends on the weight and dimension of your scope. Heavier the scope = heavier tripod.
Also, be sure it has an attachement to clip in and out. Its been a big time saver.

Yeah... It might be overkill but it sucks laying down on a mountainside trying to glass rams through awesome glass mounted on a SH!T light weight tripod. I want my tripod stable as a rock and the SHB is that. I'm also packing a Zeiss 85mm scope too though.

Carl

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
02-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Yeah... It might be overkill but it sucks laying down on a mountainside trying to glass rams through awesome glass mounted on a SH!T light weight tripod. I want my tripod stable as a rock and the SHB is that. I'm also packing a Zeiss 85mm scope too though.

Carl

x2 carl i have the 80hd sworo and the lite weight silks just dont do the job

yama49
02-16-2012, 09:37 PM
I have the outdoorsman med tripod, it is unreal and farily light... Craftmanship is second to none, but expensive.. I agree SEMF on the shitty shaking comment, with $2500 glass sitting on top...

bruin
02-16-2012, 09:57 PM

Carl

I agree, it fits that scope very well. But if you're using a small Bushnell Elite 45x or similar, you're going to be packing a tripod that weighs more than your scope. Kind of pointless, that's what I'm trying to say.

oldkoot
02-17-2012, 08:36 PM
Light weight is fine if you hunt where there is no wind. Manfrotto for 20 yrs. the best IMO.

Seeker
08-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Just to give a little insight, Manfrotto 718 SHB is no longer available, SLIK 624 CF is listed at 324$ for just the tripod(still need head)plus $50 shipping, the outdoorsman(the mazeratti of tripods) listed online at 369.99 US(again with no head), you can add another $200 minimum to have an Outdoorsman head($200 US pistol grip $300+ for a pan head). I have the SLIK from MEC from years past and let me save you the money, with the heavier spotters, they are in a word "useless". I was very lucky to come across some money that I felt was worth buying new spotter this past summer. I did not think at the time that a new tripod and head would be necessary as the combination I have for my previous Vortex, was fine. WELL, not so; they could not hold the new spotter still and every time I found my target in the spotter I would go to lock the head and then with the infamous sag, I would completely lose the target!.....Re-adjust higher, nope, not quite....ahhh! Needless to say it got annoying very quickly. So my search began for the new tripod, which led me here, thanks to the previous posters for the tips. are there anymore guys out there that have perhaps purchased a tripod recently and any thoughts on the purchases?

leadpillproductions
08-15-2014, 12:59 PM
If anyone wants a great tripod for riding on quad or truck I have a manfrotto with a 501 fluid head absolutely rock solid but not a back packer make me a offer

BRvalley
08-15-2014, 01:07 PM
I picked up the vortex summit this summer with the pan head, easy to adjust and stays on target when locking the adjustment, spotter is 4lbs, tripod works great, stable...when it's extended to maximum height or awkward positions I hang a weight off the hook

Seeker
08-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Thx BRvalley, i'll l;ook into them

Lionhill
08-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Really right stuff. 2.7lb / 1.2kg

Carbon fibre tripod. $850

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/zoom-rrsweb-1-TQC14-Fnt-Travel-Tripod-8BIT-1.png

shallowH2O
08-15-2014, 03:42 PM
Manfrato carbon fibre with a fluid video head. Nice smooth movement

Darksith
08-17-2014, 07:22 PM
trigger stick full height tripod...acts as walking stick, gun rest and spotter tripod...why carry multiples? Holds my swaro no problem...not the lightest but with its multple uses it makes up for it. Just need to get a proper swivel mount head

JLsteel
08-19-2014, 04:59 PM
I use a Slik 624CF with an outdoorsman panhead. This combo works very well with my ATS80. I bought the Slik 624CF from SandSarchery.com for $228 with 10% discount code and free shipping if you ship to the states and go pick it up.

Useyourfeet
08-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Outdoorsmans medium with the pistol grip. Just buy it, cry about the price once and be done with it. All metal, precision machined components. Why buy great glass and not get the most out of it.