PDA

View Full Version : Region 6 Moose hunting

browningboy
10-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Never had the opportunity to hunt moose up in 6, if all bull are open, why are there not more people hunting that way, too far, too thick of bush or ? If you think about it the north has a majestic 15 days but 6 has 66 so you figure that it would have somewhat an over abundance of moose and would probly hear about the region more as region 7 and 5 seem to be the most popular for moose. HMMMMMM?

WoodOx
10-15-2006, 03:33 PM
My guess would be distance, but probably bes to ask someone whos hunted in that open season up there!

trigger
10-15-2006, 03:39 PM
there are alot of moose here for sure, but dont think that nobody comes here. it gets pounded hard. the open season on any bull is only 7 days long. some of the back roads look like a freeway. same as any type of hunting as long as you scout out a place and get away from the roads you will connect. 5 more sleeps

browningboy
10-15-2006, 03:54 PM
I guess you don't hear about the region too often, so the region only has a 6 day opening, I thought it was all open but I guess if you think about it everyone and thier dog would be up there. 8)

steel_ram
10-15-2006, 04:08 PM
The woods is pretty busy up around Burns Lake that week. The locals usually have one tied up somewhere but for most it's a pretty tough hunt. There is lots of animals but being scheduled ,quite deliberately after the rut, yet before any serious snow most moose are timbered up. Lots of revenue for few moose harvested.

Avalanche123
10-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Depends on what area of 6 you hunt. There are zones in 6 that open up for all bulls early (there are some rut closers) and close late, generally north of Mezadin Junction. As a bow hunter we do have more opportunites with two openings before the general season and one after the general season.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-15-2006, 08:28 PM
In the northern portion of Reg 6 there is very little drive-in access. Most of the areas that you can drive in have rut closures within 1 km of the roads(Sept 25th). The rest of the region is flyin with only a few opportunites for jet boats(the Stikine is on LEH draw).
The areas with road access get hit hard but it doesn't affect the population of the region very much.
Take to the air and you'll have some great action IF you pick the right area.

SSS

jethrobuddy
10-17-2006, 07:00 AM
The season dates are picked at a time for better moose survival. Rut is over, the weather is usually the worst it can be (statictically), and the terrain is not the easiest to hunt. But look on the bright side............it is 7 days , not 6 days for the lower part of the region. For the rest......................Stone Sheep Steve pretty much summed it up. LEH covers pretty much all the easy access and high traffic areas.

browningboy
10-17-2006, 06:00 PM
You guys sure do have some nice country up there, I know my buddy up in Kitamat keeps trying to get me up there, seems like the hunting pressures the same as everywhere else.

Half Slam
10-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Hey guys, I am wondering what the access is like for getting on the taku river or where you can put the boat in, I am sure the moose hunting must be good in there if its accessable at all. Is there a general moose season in oct. back in 6-25? I don't have my regs with me here at work. Is there alot of boat traffic on the rivers?

Caveman
10-17-2006, 07:20 PM
I drove up to Atlin in '01 and had the area I went all to myself. Not a sole for miles. Doesn't get much better than that. Only downside, it took two long days to get there, but for a ten day hunt, who cares.

Machinist
10-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Last year ( 2005 ) I took in the 6 Day open season in the BURNS LAKE area , I Have been Hunting up there a lot of year's and Allway's During the LEH season.
We did not get a LEH Tag in ( 2005 ) so off I Went , Like the Previous Poster Said The Trucks and Quads Running around up there was Unreal . And the Moose were really Hard to find , We Allway's see Lot's of BULL's during LEH and it usually only takes 1 of 2 Day's to get one. They seemed to just Dissappear during that season , I know some really good spot's in the area that allway's produce a bull or two but nothing to be found.We finally did find where they were , In the Heavey timber and Willow Bottoms Makeing it a Tough Hunt. So if you take in the season be prepaired to get into the Timber to find a Moose. Although one was shot on a road by a local :-(
This year was real easy we Had a LEH and it only took a Day to Fill the Tag.