PDA

View Full Version : Adams Lake elk heard

shuswap kid
02-11-2012, 03:28 PM
I exect to move to the Sorrento in the near future. I understand that there was a herd of elk there, but that the herd is not doing too well or is decimated. Has anyone know about the herd's health and size?

houndsman
02-11-2012, 04:30 PM
There was a herd up in pinatan 20 animals ,then someone killed 19 of them & lined all there heads up on his front porch . Nice hay
This is what I was told by a good sorce.

plumbcrazy
02-11-2012, 06:21 PM
We saw a herd of about 12 or so at the north end of adams lake. The CO figuered that the predators kept there numbers down around a dozen, so there will never be a season there.

dana
02-11-2012, 06:30 PM
2011 was hard on them. The wolves hammered them, killing at least 7 bulls that I know of.

shuswap kid
02-11-2012, 10:58 PM
thanks guys. I will be looking for another place to hunt elk. Is Revelstoke herd the only other herd that's not too far away that is open?

dana
02-12-2012, 09:32 AM
thanks guys. I will be looking for another place to hunt elk. Is Revelstoke herd the only other herd that's not too far away that is open?

Even if the herd was doing good in the Adams, they are OFF LIMITS to hunting.

walks with deer
02-13-2012, 02:31 PM
I have seen the elk close to adams and heard some bugling a hour before light this sept

But you have to just take pictures the people who have been poaching elk in that area should be in jail.....

Tack243
02-13-2012, 08:32 PM
A friend of mine said he say 6 run across his field in Westwold the other day.

shed-hunter1
02-13-2012, 08:57 PM
it would nice if they built up just for shed hunting etc

dana
02-13-2012, 11:05 PM
You missed your chance. Was a good group of bulls for a few years. Now....all wolf scat!

Ioneth
02-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Someone should go wolf hunting

Tack243
02-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Someone should go wolf hunting

Sounds like a plan, I'll start looking.
Cheers

doubled
02-14-2012, 02:00 PM

Off limits for some.

02-14-2012, 04:16 PM
A friend of mine said he say 6 run across his field in Westwold the other day.

Have heard similar reports from a friend out that way for a few years now......there are elk out that way for sure.

dana
02-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Off limits for some.

Off limits to all! When there is no season of any kind even our First Nation brothers can't hunt them. I'm sure that is what you were hinting at right?

Buck
02-14-2012, 07:02 PM

Why would they be off limits to anyone?To small an area?

mattz
02-14-2012, 07:09 PM
keep dreaming

421fighter
02-14-2012, 07:16 PM
When I lived there in Vavenby, there was a season, but the herd never grew. I called for one, and got 2 answers one on ach side of me,somewhere around Mika Lake, but must have said something they didn't like, so they quit talking.Some were seen around Momich lake, and I heard some snowmobilers thougt it was great fun to chase them, but can't confirm it. If the wolves are as thick in the Adams as they were (are?) in the Vavenby area, there won't be many elk left, season or no. Dave

mattz
02-14-2012, 07:19 PM
take a read

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20110929/KAMLOOPS0303/110929732/-1/kamloops/too-many-elk-being-hunted

Whonnock Boy
02-14-2012, 07:22 PM
take a read

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20110929/KAMLOOPS0303/110929732/-1/kamloops/too-many-elk-being-hunted

And awaaaay we go!

dana
02-14-2012, 07:57 PM
If that is truly the case in Pritchard than the elk are being poached. Plain and simple.

doubled
02-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Like I said - for some of us.

beni
02-14-2012, 11:42 PM
When I lived there in Vavenby, there was a season, but the herd never grew. I called for one, and got 2 answers one on ach side of me,somewhere around Mika Lake, but must have said something they didn't like, so they quit talking.Some were seen around Momich lake, and I heard some snowmobilers thougt it was great fun to chase them, but can't confirm it. If the wolves are as thick in the Adams as they were (are?) in the Vavenby area, there won't be many elk left, season or no. Dave

The wolves are VERY thick in the area. There are some elk left, however there was a group/family of white loggers in the back end of tum tum poaching the herd years ago. They were eventually caught which was good! We saw one 4x4 bull this year, and one 6x6 last year over in that area. How long did you live in Vavenby? My grandparents have lived there for over 20yrs now.. I know all the area's around there quite well, however I doubt there will ever be enough elk to have a season.

Some people just ruin it for everyone else.

BlacktailStalker
02-15-2012, 06:25 AM
White or brown, is a moot point.
They're all poaching.

300H&H
02-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Off limits to all! When there is no season of any kind even our First Nation brothers can't hunt them. I'm sure that is what you were hinting at right?

Dana, do you remember quite a few years ago when the bison herd was decimated up in Pink Mtn area ?
There was, if I remember correctly, no open season (just LEH) and FN said it was there right to hunt them.
The heard has come back well since then.
I even heard (unconfirmed) that one FN hunter took 6 or 7 bison.
Thats not sustenance hunting its just abuse.
Again I will say, I was not there so I can not confirm these comments.
But the LEH was shut down after that for some time.

dana
02-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Under the rules, if there is an LEH season in a First Nation's traditional area, then they have the right to hunt it for themselves. No season, no hunting. The elk in the Adams are no different than a southern Mountain Caribou. They are off limits to everyone. And yes, poaching has happened and still continues to happen. Poachers come in all colours.

shuswap kid
02-16-2012, 07:57 PM
The gov't and the courts won't do anything about it for reasons that are not talked about but are a major concern for them. They refuse to go there and I don't blame them. The topic goes into an area that concerns about the way that the natives feel about what the white man has done or treated to them. What it boils down to, is, the native population is mostly young and growing fast. Most are mad and hate the foreigners who took over their land. This hatred is taught gen to gen. If there is an uprising, they could easily bring this country economically to it's knees by doing things like taking out powerlines constantly, road blocks on major highways or roads to and from mines, lumber mills , vandalizing hydroelectric dams. Think Oka. The biggest problem is that the natives may not think it out, biting the hand that feeds them should a radical enough leader showed up.

M.Dean
02-16-2012, 08:18 PM
There was a herd up in pinatan 20 animals ,then someone killed 19 of them & lined all there heads up on his front porch . Nice hay
This is what I was told by a good sorce. Thank God who ever it is your talking about lives in pinatan!!! We here in Pinantan Lake B.C. don't got no porches big enough to set down 19 Elk Heads on!!! And, just to add a bit here, there was a group of 5 or 6 Elk hanging around the fields this side of the River East of us, rumor had it some people from Chase B.C. shot a few of them, might be true, might not be true! A friend of mine works near Kelowna, he drives the back road every weekend, he saw 6 or 7 Elk down there at 4:30 in the morning in late November, so hopefully the rumors are just that, Rumors! P/S, where did you find the "Nice hay"??? Round Bales, or Rectangular??? How much a Ton if you don't mind me asking???