PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinder Reviews

Brambles
02-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Need to get a new rangefinder, I have a Leupold RXII but want something that ranges further, a little faster and all that jazz.

The ones I"m looking at are

Leica 1600
Zeiss PRF

Then Ol Todbartell said the Bushnell elite 1600 ARC was a good unit but I had the first gen Elite 1500 and wasn't terribly impressed.

The swarovski laser guide looks nice but outside my budget and so is the G7 BR2.

I heard some guys getting some leica's that were DOA or didn't range as it should out of the box.

The Zeiss has the best warrenty and I can get the best price on it.

Anyone got something to share,

yama49
02-10-2012, 11:01 PM
I have the zeiss, 1500 yard max range.. Works well fargest i have ranged is a beef cow @ 1208.. I am prob going sell it month, buying a new rangfinder..heres a pic of a rock ranged @ 803,804,803 for some size comparison for you,,
http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq79/JEARL49/c2bac934.jpg

Brambles
02-10-2012, 11:08 PM
how old is it and how much do you want?

Brambles
02-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Anyone know where the best price on a Swarovski Laser guide would be? Pretty incredible reviews on that unit.

yama49
02-10-2012, 11:26 PM
That would be the best RF for under a 1000.. Sending you a pm

Krico
02-10-2012, 11:55 PM
I know a few guys who have the Nikon Riflehunter 1000 and seem more than pleased. If that one had been available when I was buying I'd have probably got it too. Other than lack of range compensation I have no complaints about my Leica CRF 900.

tuchodi
02-11-2012, 06:59 AM
I have the Leica 1200 and have had it for about 10 years and it has never let me down. I am still on the same battery as when I purchased it. A couple of my hunting partners have both a Bushnell and a Zeiss and like them but when we compare the 3 the Leica always seams to be more consistent with yardage at all distances.

.330 Dakota
02-11-2012, 09:19 AM
I have the Leica 1200 and have had it for about 10 years and it has never let me down. I am still on the same battery as when I purchased it. A couple of my hunting partners have both a Bushnell and a Zeiss and like them but when we compare the 3 the Leica always seams to be more consistent with yardage at all distances.

I have this one as well, and never had an issue, have ranged cattle out past 1100 yards.

wlbc
02-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Hi Brambles,

I too started out with an older generation Bushnell and got rid of it in short order. I replaced it with a Swarovski from Grouse River. IIRC a little over $1100 before tax.

I've heard notthing but good about the Zeiss although I have no experience with it.

I've heard nothing but good about the functionality of the Leica but I have heard of dependability concerns with them.

I think my Swaro is 3 or 4 years old. Glass is amazing and the functionality first rate. If your budget can tolerate it you certainly won't be disappointed.

Marlin375
02-11-2012, 01:04 PM
I just picked up my new Leica 1600 CRF at the post office (2 weeks ago) so far it is everything I expected it to be.
Amazingly small (one of the most important details for me, if it is to bulky I would be leaving it in the truck)
reports slope angle, temp, barometric pressure.
Meters or yards (metric or imperial)
instant ranging, only starts to scan over 1500m and the longest range I got so far was over 1700m on a house, anything inside rifle range is instant.
Just starting to figure out how the ballistic stuff works, but after reviewing the available tables it will cover all my needs.

I will post up results once I get to field test it

Singleshotneeded
02-11-2012, 01:44 PM
It's great that you have so much money to throw away, lol! I got the Bushnell Scout 1200 ARC off Amazon for $250
and it ranges out past 1,200 yards no problem, 600 yards further than I'd ever need it to. It's also nice and compact
and fits easily in a pocket, whereas the Elite 1600 is larger and bulkier. Why waste money on fancy names...are you
going to buy Gucci purses afterwards and Armani high heels, lol? :-)

The Hermit
02-11-2012, 05:41 PM
I picked up a Leica 900 couple years ago and it seems to work pretty well. I've dropped it out of a fifteen foot high treestand twice now (duh) with no ill effects.

REMINGTON JIM
02-11-2012, 06:06 PM
I have this one as well, and never had an issue, have ranged cattle out past 1100 yards.

If you would just quit ranging cattle and range some deer you might just get to shoot one ! LMAO

sled92
02-11-2012, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=Singleshotneeded;1089621]It's great that you have so much money to throw away, lol! I got the Bushnell Scout 1200 ARC off Amazon for $250.....

Hey Singleshotneeded, do you have a Scout 1000 ARC or a Legend 1200 ARC? Or am I missing something on Bushnell's webpage? Have you used it much?

Sorry I'm a new guy here just looking for some info. I know I am supposed to start out with a joke but I would imagine it would just be a re-run anyway! Thanks in advance.

Fisher-Dude
02-11-2012, 09:20 PM
I have the Leica 1200. Great optics, accurate, small and light. Who needs to range further than 1200 yards?

Brambles
02-11-2012, 09:28 PM
I have the Leica 1200. Great optics, accurate, small and light. Who needs to range further than 1200 yards?

You don't always use a rangefinder to shoot, although I'd like to hunt rocks at extended range for practice. Plus a rangefinder that maxed out at 1200 won't usually do it fast or consistantly, but a rangefinder that maxed out at say 1800 or so will do 1200 every time, fast and consistant. I find more performance on the top end helps the bottom end reliabiltiy and speed.

Brambles
02-11-2012, 09:40 PM
So my search is still the same

Swarovski laser guide(I got a good price that barely squeeks it into my budget)
Leica 1600
Zeiss PRF

My online research has given me this impression

The swaro is $200 more expensive, larger, heavier, and the display is dimmer, and has a very large aiming reticle BUT ranges further, operates in poorer weather and has optics second to none, 2 year warranty on electronics and lifetime on on the occular system. Swarovski has on numerous occasions warrantied products that the warranty has expired regardless.

The Leica is smaller, lighter, display is easier to read, better battery life, gives shooting angle, barometric pressure, temp BUT doesn't fair so well in poor weather, spotty quality control, and doesn't quite match the distance of the Swarovski, some claim its too small to hold steady. 2 year warranty, and reports of warranty department difficult to deal with.

The zeiss, inbetween the two others for size and ranging power, optics are better then Leica but not as good as swarovski. Price is the same as the Leica.

I want this to be the last rangefinder I buy, I"ve had 4 of the damn things and they are always a letdown some why or another. Never went with the big three and nows the time.

The G7 BR2 is out of my price range so not an option

Singleshotneeded
02-12-2012, 01:35 AM
Hey sled92, Sorry it's the size and shape of the scout model, 10cm long, 7cm high, and 4cm thick, so I think of it
as the Scout. It's actually the Legend 1200 ARC, and I've used it plenty, in rain, snow, mist, and sun, and it's reliably
ranged to 1200 yards every time. Pocket sized, light, and reasonably priced at $250 through Amazon. Get it online,
they wanted $400 at Wholesale Sports in Langley...use the $150 you save and buy yourself a new hunting jacket, sled!
The Legend 1200 Arc is all you need and then some for normal hunting.

vortex hunter
02-12-2012, 02:20 AM
It's great that you have so much money to throw away, lol! I got the Bushnell Scout 1200 ARC off Amazon for $250
and it ranges out past 1,200 yards no problem, 600 yards further than I'd ever need it to. It's also nice and compact
and fits easily in a pocket, whereas the Elite 1600 is larger and bulkier. Why waste money on fancy names...are you

Now Thats the FRIGGIN TRUTH Can we get a AAAAMEN UP IN THIS MOFO ....

sled92
02-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Hey sled92, Sorry it's the size and shape of the scout model, 10cm long, 7cm high, and 4cm thick, so I think of it
as the Scout. It's actually the Legend 1200 ARC, and I've used it plenty, in rain, snow, mist, and sun, and it's reliably
ranged to 1200 yards every time. Pocket sized, light, and reasonably priced at $250 through Amazon. Get it online,
they wanted $400 at Wholesale Sports in Langley...use the $150 you save and buy yourself a new hunting jacket, sled!
The Legend 1200 Arc is all you need and then some for normal hunting.

Thanks for info Singleshotneeded! Much appreciated.

Brambles
02-12-2012, 10:53 AM

I've had all the lesser expensive POS rangefinders out there, time to try something with a solid reputation. So far my experiance with bushnell rangefinders and leupold rangefinders have been less than stellar.

I've wasted my money 4 times already with low end rangefinders, time to try and put it to a stop.

Grumpa Joe
02-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Have a Leupold RXII and a Bushnell and neither ranged on a consistent or timely nature. Bought a Leica 1000 and am continually amazed at how at ranges on the first try on almost every occasion out to its' rated distance. Not slagging the other products (the Leupold is nice with the TBD feature) but they were rated to 600 yards and I found it difficult to get a reading on game much past half that and had to try multiple times.

yama49
02-12-2012, 08:56 PM
I've had all the lesser expensive POS rangefinders out there, time to try something with a solid reputation. So far my experiance with bushnell rangefinders and leupold rangefinders have been less than stellar.

I've wasted my money 4 times already with low end rangefinders, time to try and put it to a stop.

I agree, been there done that.. You get what you pay for does come into play in this conversation..jmo

Singleshotneeded
02-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Brambles, Frontier, and yama49, in general terms I agree that you get what you pay for! In the case of the new Bushnell
Elite 1200 and 1600ARC rangefinders, I don't know why you'd want to pay more for a designer name? I've used the 1200 ARC
in sun, rain, and well below zero, and it's always worked reliably, so I don't know what more someone could want? It's compact,
pocket sized, and it's always ranged the distance when I've pushed the button, what else do you want? I agree that if you guys
had bought the cheapest Bushnell rangefinders like the Yardage Pro, especially several years ago, you would've been unhappy with
the range of reliable ranging, but the new Elite series get the job done and for a fair and reasonable price, through Amazon.

GoatGuy
02-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Leica.

Seems with the bushnell stuff the only thing you can count on is that it will break down.

Singleshotneeded
02-13-2012, 03:11 PM
I haven't had any issues with Bushnell products, their scopes, rangefinders, and binos have been bulletproof for me.
With every make, you can have a defective or "lemon" unit come off the assembly line...and if the manufacturer ISN'T
charging rip-off amounts of money for their products, perhaps more lemons get past their quality control than that
of Swaro, Leica, and Zeiss. If you get one, you return it...no big deal. Maybe I've been lucky to never have bought a
lemon product from Bushnell, but I'm happy with their products. If the Bushnell Elite 1200 ARC ranges reliably in various
weather conditions out to 1200 yards, why would I feel the need to spend hundreds more for a German name? If the
Cabelas Euro HD 10 X 42 binoculars made by Meopta Optics, a highly respected European optics firm, is the equivalent
in function and clarity(or within 1 or 2%) to Swaro/Leica/Zeiss, why would I pay over $2,000 for the big German names
and not $1,000 for the Euro HD?? The only reason I can think of is that some guys buy a BMW or Mercedes instead of
Toyota or domestic because of the snob factor, they can brag and feel good about owning a big name that costs more
money, and what do you drive...haha, you own a Honda? Whatever...those guys need to grow up...those of us with
common sense will buy the product that does the job we want reliably, is well rated, and is being sold at a reasonable price.

yama49
02-13-2012, 07:20 PM
ssn

Not wanting to get in a pissing match here but, my brother has the 1200 arc.. Sitting there in bright daylight he could not range a moose in a swamp at 760, no probs on the trees nearby, but couldnt pick up the moose, i picked up the moose everytime with my zeiss.. The other issue out at 1100yards there was up to 30 yards diff sometimes, which matters if do you shoot out at thoses disatances( which i do, lots of rocks have died lol). When i have compered mine to the leica or swaro, distances are always within a yard or 2 of each other.. Im not loyal to any one product, as i am going to b buying the Gseven RF next month.. Anyways those are just my opinions...

Grumpa Joe
02-13-2012, 07:40 PM
SSN

I am not criticizing any rangefinder that someone has and is happy with. If the Bushnell 1200 ARC works for you that's great! I only responded to someones query about which rangefinder people were pleased with. I didn't buy the Leica as a status symbol but rather from reviews and references on here as far as quality and follow-up service (Bartell mentioned how after his 2 failed to work - the only ones that I have heard of - the company sent replacements, no questions asked). The final decision was when I tried a number of rangefinders outside the hunting store and found a noticeable difference, at least in my opinion. After having questionable results from my previous rangefinders I grudgingly decided to spend the extra money and haven't looked back since.

Frontier

Singleshotneeded
02-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Hey yama49, there was no false advertising there, if your brother had read the specs from Bushnell it says 1200 yards on reflective objects(rocks), 900 on trees, and 600 yards on furry critters...which suits me fine for my shooting. If an animal is a bit past 600 and I was thinking about shooting it, I'd range the trees nearby like your brother did. Your Zeiss is no doubt more expensive and rated to longer distances, which is great if you're shooting at 1100 and 1200 yards like you do, but for the average hunter that is never going to shoot an animal at any further than 500 yards, the Legend 1200 ARC is perfect, compact, and inexpensive. I was posting about what will suit the needs of the average hunter, and that's all...if your needs are greater, then that's a different story and you may need to spend a lot more money.:-)
The Legend 1600 ARC, though it's a bit larger, is also available for reasonable money on Amazon, it ranges 1600 on rocks, 1200+ on trees, and 800+ yards on furry critters. Again, if you've got a long range rifle and these specs don't suit you, then of course spend more money and get the equipment that'll work for you like the Gseven RF, the unit that yama49 is buying. It's all in what you need, and the majority of hunters on here won't shoot an animal past 500 yards...so the Legend 1200 ARC is perfect. :-)

Marlin375
02-13-2012, 08:10 PM
I don't know why you'd want to pay more for a designer name? .

Dear Mr. Oneshot you seem to be under the impression that Leica is in the fashion industry. They do not make handbags or high heels.
I have been using Leica survey instruments for almost 30 years, they are leaders in the business of accurate distance measurment.
Bushnell make some decent price point gear. Like Brambles said "been there, done that"
The fact that Leica even offer a rangefinder that is even close to affordable for a recreational user is a win win as far as I am concerned.
No offence intended Singleshot but they do have a considerable reputation to uphold if you think they are just out to sell you a sticker.
So in my opinion (for what its worth) you are actually getting more value from the Leica than the bushnell, presumably because there are actually more highend competitors in the field today then there was a few years ago.

Singleshotneeded
02-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Marlin, to me value=best price for unit that gets the job done. No doubt Leica makes a quality product,
but if you can pay $250 and range reliably out to 900 yards then why spend more? The average hunter
that won't shoot an animal past 500 yards will be well served by the Legend 1200 ARC, the Leica would
be overkill. So, if you're buying one and you'll never shoot past 4-500 yards, aren't you really just
buying it for the name? :-)

BromBones
02-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Bit of a hijack on your thread here Brambles, but has anyone had experience with the Leupold RX1000?

Looking to upgrade my rangefinder as well, and something that will range consistently in the 500 yard mark is all I'd ever need. I've found that most of the mid-range $$ rangefinders are consistent to about half of their actual listed range, so I figure if the RX1000 will do an honest 5-600 I'd be happy.

Thanks for any input.

Buck
02-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Bit of a hijack on your thread here Brambles, but has anyone had experience with the Leupold RX1000?

Looking to upgrade my rangefinder as well, and something that will range consistently in the 500 yard mark is all I'd ever need. I've found that most of the mid-range $$ rangefinders are consistent to about half of their actual listed range, so I figure if the RX1000 will do an honest 5-600 I'd be happy.

Thanks for any input.

That one is highly rated and the one i will be buying.

Marlin375
02-13-2012, 10:17 PM
The second (and last) range finder that I had was rated at 800yrds. I was in the same frame of mind, "if it ranges deer out to 400-500 yrds that will be good, I'll never shoot past that anyways". What I discovered after packing it around for a couple of seasons was that I was truly just after the answer to a simple question "how far is that" the majority of the time there was not an animal in sight. How far is it to the end of this ridge? How far is it to the valley bottom? The trouble with the middle of the road range finders is that they simply don't answer the question most of the time.

brenden
02-13-2012, 10:47 PM
I've had nikon, Leupold and others. I have a 1600 leica now and can't believe how much better it is than anything I've tried. Absolutely awesome. Gets 1400 yard shots on powerline wires. Used the ballistics program to help me out on my sheep this year. It said to dial in 6.7 moa, (of course I checked my chart too) 6.75 it was and down went the sheep at 565 yards. Small, light and incredibly reliable readings. I think I could get by pretty happily with the 1000 but the 1600 is pretty awesome.

GoatGuy
02-14-2012, 02:16 PM
I haven't had any issues with Bushnell products, their scopes, rangefinders, and binos have been bulletproof for me.
With every make, you can have a defective or "lemon" unit come off the assembly line...and if the manufacturer ISN'T
charging rip-off amounts of money for their products, perhaps more lemons get past their quality control than that
of Swaro, Leica, and Zeiss. If you get one, you return it...no big deal. Maybe I've been lucky to never have bought a
lemon product from Bushnell, but I'm happy with their products. If the Bushnell Elite 1200 ARC ranges reliably in various
weather conditions out to 1200 yards, why would I feel the need to spend hundreds more for a German name? If the
Cabelas Euro HD 10 X 42 binoculars made by Meopta Optics, a highly respected European optics firm, is the equivalent
in function and clarity(or within 1 or 2%) to Swaro/Leica/Zeiss, why would I pay over $2,000 for the big German names
and not $1,000 for the Euro HD?? The only reason I can think of is that some guys buy a BMW or Mercedes instead of
Toyota or domestic because of the snob factor, they can brag and feel good about owning a big name that costs more
money, and what do you drive...haha, you own a Honda? Whatever...those guys need to grow up...those of us with
common sense will buy the product that does the job we want reliably, is well rated, and is being sold at a reasonable price.

Had 2 pairs of binoculars that spent most of their existance in 'repair'. Finally gave them both away to kids who were new to hunting.

One scope that crapped out (bushnell 3200) after 6 weeks, took six months to get it back. Sent it back again after falling on it and they would not repair it. Now used as a paper weight.

Went through three rangefinders in 3 years, none lasted an entire season. Finally gave it to the old man.

My buddy forget his leica rangefinder on a rock for an entire year goat hunting. Picked it up the next fall and it still worked.

Yes, we're hard on equipment. Only thing that seems to last is swaro, leica or leupold.

brenden
02-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Goatguy: Those euro hd binos from cabelas are impressive. I can't see the difference between them and my el's but no oriental company builds a rangefinder that competes with a leica. Take one out and try it. No comparison.

BlacktailStalker
02-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Had a bushnell yardage pro for years, served me well, but the lens coating wore off from wiping too often, bushnell wanted as much for a new rangefinder just to replace it, so gave it to my bro.
Now have a Leica CRF1200 which is too finicky in ANY amount of fog or rain, been meaning to send it back as I have heard others with the same complaint but ended up with a 'sound' unit after doing so.

Singleshotneeded
02-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Well Goatguy, If I'd had your experience with Bushnell I'd probably not be enthused about them either! My Bushnell scopes have lasted years, my Legend 1200 ARC has worked well for me for two seasons, and I'm satisfied. Maybe you got a couple of lemons, which can happen in any mass production process, and maybe you bang things around more than I do when hiking through the woods, who knows? For me and many other average hunters the Bushnell products are fine, and work well for us. As BlacktailStalker noted, even Leicas sometimes have issues. And I completely agree that if you've got long range shooting equipment and you're prepared to make shots well over a kilometre, then you need the Leica 1600, it's the best and you'll pay dearly for it...but it's really overkill for the average hunter. As Brenden mentioned, the Euro HD binos are for all intents and purposes are equal to Swaro/Leica/Zeiss, and retail for $1,000, a bit less than half the price of the big three. The point I was making is that the average hunter doesn't need to spend big dollars to shoot at less than 500 yards, and there are less expensive options that'll do the job. I do agree that if you've got a long range set up then the Leica RF makes sense, but there really is no need for anyone to spend $2K+ on binos when the Euro HDs are a grand, and world class.

whitetail2009
02-14-2012, 08:49 PM
http://youtu.be/-LvtZZFjHiI I posted this before on hbc . I was very impressed with Leica 1600 . I was also able to range 500 yrds through the windshield, when it was snowing fairly heavy. It also has 7x magnification.

Brambles
02-14-2012, 09:05 PM
The price i can get the leica 1600 for is a whopping $135 more than the bushnell 1600, thats a no brainer IMO.

yama49
02-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Ya thats a no brainer forsure, will never say ""wish it didnt range so far"" .. Did you pull the trigger yet?

sled92
02-14-2012, 10:36 PM
The price i can get the leica 1600 for is a whopping $135 more than the bushnell 1600, thats a no brainer IMO.

Are you willing to share the price and the seller's info?

Brambles
02-14-2012, 10:40 PM
Ya thats a no brainer forsure, will never say ""wish it didnt range so far"" .. Did you pull the trigger yet?

Just waiting to hear back from him regarding payment process and a few things regarding product info!

todbartell
02-15-2012, 01:24 AM
Ive owned in the last five years :

Elite1500arc - good but not amazing
Leica 1200 - good for a while then wouldnt range past 600y, replaced by Leica
Leica 1200 #2 - good for a while then same as above after a little over a year, despite a few new batteries - replaced by Leica depsite being past 12 months warranty - kudos to them.
Leica 1200 #3 - sold it NIB
Leupold rx1000 - decent but not amazing, wont range past 700 or 800 yards much at all
Bushnell elite1600 ARC - big bulky but sick at ranging. I've hit horses at 1300y no problem. Trees at, ohh

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/320578_10150292699992992_512917991_7955579_9481821 27_n.jpg

Not sure what my next one will be. Possibly the new Swarovski EL Range 10x42's, if I can curb my rifle addiction for a year or two

Brambles
02-15-2012, 10:06 AM
how long have you had the bushnell 1600 arc for TB?

Singleshotneeded
02-15-2012, 12:23 PM
As you folks can see, from someone with an unbiased opinion and who owned them, Leicas aren't perfect either...and it looks
like the Leica 1200 has a knack for only ranging half that distance after ONE YEAR, lol!! :-) Buy a Bushnell 1600 ARC if you
need the distance, as you can see they can range trees out past 1800 yards! They're a bit bulky, so I prefer my 1200 ARC,
and also I don't need the extra distance like most of us, but for those who do, the 1600 ARC is up for it! :-)
And here, gentlemen, are the realities as far as pricing, checked today at Amazon:
Bushnell 1200 ARC, $274....Bushnell 1600 ARC, $465....Leica 1600, $800...more than 3X the 1200 and almost double the 1600 ARC's price! :-) Don't get sucked into buying the fancy names you don't need...save your money and put some into your kid's RESP for college!

todbartell
02-15-2012, 01:30 PM
how long have you had the bushnell 1600 arc for TB?

I got it in July/11

Brambles
02-15-2012, 02:17 PM
So not long enough to speak towards longevity!

wlbc
02-16-2012, 12:00 AM
As you folks can see, from someone with an unbiased opinion and who owned them, Leicas aren't perfect either...and it looks
like the Leica 1200 has a knack for only ranging half that distance after ONE YEAR, lol!! :-) Buy a Bushnell 1600 ARC if you
need the distance, as you can see they can range trees out past 1800 yards! They're a bit bulky, so I prefer my 1200 ARC,
and also I don't need the extra distance like most of us, but for those who do, the 1600 ARC is up for it! :-)
And here, gentlemen, are the realities as far as pricing, checked today at Amazon:
Bushnell 1200 ARC, $274....Bushnell 1600 ARC, $465....Leica 1600, $800...more than 3X the 1200 and almost double the 1600 ARC's price! :-) Don't get sucked into buying the fancy names you don't need...save your money and put some into your kid's RESP for college!

SSN, with all due respect, have you actually tried the "big three"?

I personally think the Elite 4200 is about the best bang for your buck there (and own one too) but it is not a Swaro, or a Zeiss, or S&B.

I have lived with a Swaro for several years and can say from actual expereince that it is significantly better in performance. Is it worth it to you? Maybe that extra level of performance is not - and that is okay, but they are not the equal - not even close.

todbartell
02-16-2012, 01:12 AM
So not long enough to speak towards longevity!

nope, you're right. And if anyone kills LRF's, it's me :D

Singleshotneeded
02-16-2012, 02:20 AM
Wlbc, no worries, this is a good natured debate, and I don't doubt that the big three are a wee bit more accurate at
longer ranges and probably also pick up the distance at longer ranges more quickly. I even said that if you're a serious
long range shooter, with the right rifle, etc, and shoot over 1,000 yards routinely, you might want to get a Leica, etc..
My point in my posts is that the average hunter that will never shoot past 500 yards will be well served with a Bushnell
1200 ARC at $275 and doesn't need to be talked into spending $800 on a Leica 1600. I've used my 1200 ARC over two
seasons, bumping the jacket pocket it's in the odd time against trees, and it's always ranged the distance to my deer
and this past season's moose just fine. It's compact, does the job for the average hunter, and like you said, it's the
"best bang for the buck"...:-)

Gateholio
02-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Anyone seen a new Bushnell G-Force?

sled92
02-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Anyone seen a new Bushnell G-Force?

I called Bushnell this morning. The G Force 1300 ARC won't be available until April. MSRP is supposed to be $399.00.

sled92
02-17-2012, 11:57 AM

I've found a Bushnell 1600 Elite ARC for $450.00 shipped. So can you let me know where you found a Leica 1600 for $585.00 because I can't find them for less than $760.00 before shipping. I'd appreciate the link if you'd like to share. Thanks in advance.8)

Brambles
02-17-2012, 01:09 PM
I've found a Bushnell 1600 Elite ARC for $450.00 shipped. So can you let me know where you found a Leica 1600 for $585.00 because I can't find them for less than $760.00 before shipping. I'd appreciate the link if you'd like to share. Thanks in advance.8)

Where in canada did you find your pricing!

Marlin375
02-17-2012, 01:56 PM
I can't find them for less than $760.00 before shipping.

Mine was $760 (or very close to that) to the post office, after shipping and GST. It took awhile but I got one NIB off Ebay, with the USD at par, why-not.

sled92
02-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Where in canada did you find your pricing!

All the pricing is coming out of the US of A. The Bushnell is from shopepal.com. I can't remember where the Leica 1600 price was from. Generally I'm finding the Leica is $799.00 whether it's coming from the US or Canada. It sounds like you have a good line on the Leica. Where are you getting it from?

sled92
02-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Mine was $760 (or very close to that) to the post office, after shipping and GST. It took awhile but I got one NIB off Ebay, with the USD at par, why-not.

It sounds like you got a sweet deal! I can only find the Leica 1600 on eBay for $799.00 plus shipping right now. When did you get yours?

Brambles
02-17-2012, 06:31 PM
All the pricing is coming out of the US of A. The Bushnell is from shopepal.com. I can't remember where the Leica 1600 price was from. Generally I'm finding the Leica is $799.00 whether it's coming from the US or Canada. It sounds like you have a good line on the Leica. Where are you getting it from?

All my pricing was from Canada, so I don't know what the bushnell elite 1600 can sell for in the usa but the price i found in canada was from wholesale sports and cabela's canada both wanting $599 for it.

I got a great price in the leica from one sports store, I was ready go buy it but I didn't recieve a response to my last email requesting payment information. I waited 4 days or so and after that I sourced a Leica out locally, went to the store personally tried out a couple different units of the same model to make sure I was getting a functional unit. Paid my money and left. I paid more then the first store but the way I think about it is #1 I was able to choose my unit, and ensure I was not getting a lemon. #2 Continue to build good relationships with my local retailer. whom I"ve spent a fair bit of time dealing with over the last 10 year so so.

Farthest I've ranged is 1896 yards leaning against my truck, 1600 yard shots off hand are not uncommon.
Nice and compact.

First store was selling to me for $799 shipped
I paid from the local guy $799 + taxes -NO shipping.

Marlin375
02-17-2012, 09:08 PM
It sounds like you got a sweet deal! I can only find the Leica 1600 on eBay for $799.00 plus shipping right now. When did you get yours?

About six weeks ago, There was a few that came up and sold, in a string, around the 700 mark, I think I got the last one and got it for 670 or so. I lost the first couple because they sold for more than 700. I figured 700 was fair. After shipping and GST at the boarder it is about what the used ones go for on CGN.

Boner
04-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Sorry for the hijack, my take on a couple of models.

I'm looking at the Zeiss Victory PRF and the Leica CRF 1600. I like the way the Zeiss fits my hands. I like holding them like binoculars. I handled the Leica awkwardly, but it is very compact with a name i've come to trust from their GPS units. I haven't made up my mind, they both have good but different from each other features.

After researching them both, I think it comes down to how they handle their warranties.

Buck
05-09-2012, 05:48 PM
I tried out the Nikon 550 Leupold 1000 and the Leica 1000 and for me the winner was the Leupold.I found the optics to be as good as the Leica with the Nikon was not even close to the Leupold or Leica.The Nikon and Leica were a little lighter than the Leupold.Both the Leica and Leupold both have red displays and are easy and quick to read.The Nikon was larger than the others.For the $250.00 dollar price difference between the Leica and Leupold it would be Leupold all the way.

fozzy
05-09-2012, 06:37 PM

My 338 Edge is getting warmed up at 1200. Who needs a range finder for road hunting? Oh, to make sure the game isn't too far from the road :)

So far I've been using a leica LRF1200 and it's served me well. I picked it up from Camera land and now see they have the crf1600 for $650.

Singleshotneeded
05-10-2012, 12:30 AM
I had an older Bushnell and wasn't tickled with it either. The past two seasons I've used a Bushnell Legend 1200 ARC
that I got from Amazon for $240 and it's worked flawlessly. Major improvement over the older one in every respect.

.330 Dakota
05-10-2012, 07:04 AM
I tried out the Nikon 550 Leupold 1000 and the Leica 1000 and for me the winner was the Leupold.I found the optics to be as good as the Leica with the Nikon was not even close to the Leupold or Leica.The Nikon and Leica were a little lighter than the Leupold.Both the Leica and Leupold both have red displays and are easy and quick to read.The Nikon was larger than the others.For the $250.00 dollar price difference between the Leica and Leupold it would be Leupold all the way.

The difference is the Leupold wont hit hair at 1200 yards and the Lieca will, I own a lieca and a buddy has the loop.

Brett
05-22-2012, 05:55 PM
There are 2 1600 CRF models!!

the new one is the crf 1600 B and is supposed to be sold at the same price as the non B model. The now out of date model will have a NEW retail price

The following is a review;
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/03/new-leica-crf-1600-b-shows-hold-overs-and-elevation-clicks/

REMINGTON JIM
05-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Has anyone seen a Vortex Ranger 1000 yet ? They will be selling for $ 419.95 canadian ! Good for 1000 yds and have the angle up and down compensator ! Should be a good unit for the price with a LIFETIME warranty ! :-D

Cheers RJ :)