PDA

View Full Version : Five minutes of your time will help conserve BC Wetlands! Vote today!

Wetlands for BC
02-10-2012, 06:22 PM
The B.C. Wildlife Federation needs the support of all BC hunters and conservationists to help in securing a $50,000 grant from Shell Canada’s FuellingChange program.

FuellingChange is distributing $1 million dollars to environmental projects across the country, with the projects and organizations selected by voters in an online poll. The BCWF’s Wetlands on Wheels project has already been awarded $10,000, just for being shortlisted, and the top four of 15 candidates will be awarded the larger grant.

Waterfowl, moose, beavers, fish and a variety of other wildlife species rely on wetlands as critical habitat. Developed areas of our province, including the Lower Mainland, have already lost up to 70% of their wetlands since the late 1800s, and many of the remaining wetlands are degraded or threatened.

BC Wildlife Federation's Wetlands on Wheels project will offer free workshops to communities across the province, teaching participants how to appreciate wetlands, map them using GPS technology, and integrate wetlands in municipal and regional development plans for future protection.

Neil Fletcher, Wetlands Education Program Coordinator for the BCWF is encouraging all supporters of B.C.’s wetlands and wild places to set up free accounts on the FuellingChange website, and start voting immediately. It takes approximately five minutes to register and distribute 10 free votes. Linking to Facebook and Twitter accounts will give participants an extra 40 votes. You can also vote by redeeming codes on receipts you collect from Shell gas stations (10 votes per receipt).

This initiative is a local and worthy cause - please start voting at the FuellingChange website (http://fuellingchange.com/main/project/259/Wetland-mapping-and-planning-project). For detailed instructions on how to vote visit the BCWF website (http://www.bcwf.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=487&Itemid=771).

fowl language
02-10-2012, 10:14 PM
ATTENTION GANG,this is something that will benefit all types of hunting and it wouldn,t cost a cent.we got the guides stopped ,we got coquitlam to back off.how about a hand to support our selves.give it a look,lets get behind this one......dale

f350ps
02-10-2012, 10:37 PM
I don't know, I'm kinda leaning towards "Turning the Tides for Turtles". Gonna have to think about this for a bit! K :)

antileno
02-10-2012, 11:02 PM
voted x 10

OutWest
02-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Got my 10 in.

The Dude
02-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Done and done! We're 5th behind (ugghhhh) ONTARIO projects!

We gonna allow that???

Steeleco
02-10-2012, 11:50 PM
This was posted sometime prior to Xmas. Did my bit at that time. Keep it up gang!

The Dude
02-10-2012, 11:52 PM
So you sign up, takes 2 mins, you don't have to divulge any personal info. You get an email, you confirm it, you're in.
You get 10 votes, to spread around any way you choose. There's some really interesting ones out there.
I gave 7 to BCWF, and one each to Pronghorn Migration, Wolverines, and Highway Wilding.
Just remember not to vote for one that's ahead of us in our category but, seeing as the top four are from Ontario, that's unlikely.
Top score is 53 K votes, we have 37 K votes. (Remember we get 10 each, to put wherever we want)
GET IN THERE!!

fowl language
02-11-2012, 06:27 AM
thx dude for the help on clarity. it,s close to goose hunting time and i,m not thinking straight.hopefully this will clear up in a couple of hours.....dale

Buck
02-11-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm in just takes a minute

Good Old Outdoors
02-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Good to go, its quick and easy folks!

ROM
02-11-2012, 08:19 AM
done 10 votes

.330 Dakota
02-11-2012, 09:14 AM
I kinda wanted to support the "Lets Hand Feed the Grizzly"s" foundation with Super Dave Zooky as the guide

igojuone
02-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Done Vote count 37922.

scallywag
02-11-2012, 09:42 AM
ranked 5th still with 37942

Liptugger
02-11-2012, 03:34 PM
done my part, lets hope more do.

WaderGator
02-11-2012, 03:46 PM
done and done

Wetlands for BC
02-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Multiple ways to vote:
1) 10 free votes when you create an account
2) 10 extra votes for EACH receipt you redeem from a Shell Gas Station purchase (no matter if you spend $1 or $40). Keep receipt and click redeem code button on Fuelling Change website
3) 20 free votes when you link your Facebook to your Fuellingchange account (all that happens is an automatic post that you voted on your FB wall)
4) 20 free votes when you link your Twitter to your Fuellingchange account (all that happens is you send a tweet that you voted)
5) Check your email for bonus votes (this happened once late December and gave 100 free votes per every account - really changed the game!)

BC needs more local support - we're lagging behind all the Ontario groups!

fireguy
02-12-2012, 01:02 PM
Just to keep track on here as well 38.991 votes, looks like we are moving the vote count up

orion
02-12-2012, 09:03 PM
I've set up my account and tried to vote but I keep getting a message "Your account is pending at this time". Anyone else have this problem?

fireguy
02-12-2012, 10:16 PM
I've set up my account and tried to vote but I keep getting a message "Your account is pending at this time". Anyone else have this problem?

Mine went through right away when I went to the link they e-mailed me.

39,286 votes and counting number 4 is at 40,693 and we are narrowing the gap

Wetlands for BC
02-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Hi Orion,
You should receive a message from Shell right after you register, delivered to the email you registered with. I think the messenger's email is noreply@fuellingchange.com. Check your junk mail just incase it was dropped there. The message will provide you with a link back to the Fuelling change site, and you should be signed in once you follow the link. Please let me know if this is helpful. Thanks for your patience.

chojas
02-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Just voted 30 times. Getting closer.

fireguy
02-13-2012, 07:09 PM
We are # 5 with 40,406 and need to catch #4 at 40,843, it's very do-able

snareman1234
02-13-2012, 07:20 PM
takes 2 mins...well worth the time...I put in my 10

Wetlands for BC
02-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Less than 100 points between bcwf and 4th place... we're catching up!

Rodd
02-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Done my 10...

Black Bird
02-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Got in for my ten, but how are we going to compete with the population of Ontario? Doesn't seem quite fair...

Cheers,
BB

orion
02-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Hi Orion,
You should receive a message from Shell right after you register, delivered to the email you registered with. I think the messenger's email is noreply@fuellingchange.com. Check your junk mail just incase it was dropped there. The message will provide you with a link back to the Fuelling change site, and you should be signed in once you follow the link. Please let me know if this is helpful. Thanks for your patience.

Don't remember getting this and can't find it in my junk mail. Probably easiest to just re-register.

Update: Wouldn't let me re-register because my e-mail addy was already registered so I asked for my password and received an instant reply with the above link. Clicked on link and voted.

Wetlands for BC
02-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Got in for my ten, but how are we going to compete with the population of Ontario? Doesn't seem quite fair...

Cheers,
BB

With approximately 40,000 BCWF members, and 80,000 resident hunters, we should technically have 400,000 to 800,000 votes! Wetlands are ecological supermarkets for hundreds of critters - many with socio-economic value to British Columbians. Castlegar Wildlife Association is challenging other clubs to beat their 300 votes a day! Please get your family and friends involved... Let's get up to 3rd.. only 3,000 votes away.

Here's how to increase your voting power:
1) 10 free votes when you create an account
2) 10 extra votes for EACH receipt you redeem from a Shell Gas Station purchase (no matter if you spend $1 or $40). Keep receipt and click redeem code button on Fuelling Change website
3) 20 free votes when you link your Facebook to your Fuellingchange account (all that happens is an automatic post that you voted on your FB wall)
4) 20 free votes when you link your Twitter to your Fuellingchange account (all that happens is you send a tweet that you voted)
5) Check your email for bonus votes (this happened once late December and gave 100 free votes per every account - really changed the game!)

Spy
02-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Seems my post are being deleted!I will try this again!
I just voted!Keep up the voting we are nearly there!

Rodd
02-14-2012, 02:44 PM
20 more done...

Wetlands for BC
02-14-2012, 05:57 PM
We're in 4th! Great job - please keep those votes coming!

RMAC
02-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Just put in 50 votes.

Wetlands for BC
02-20-2012, 06:38 PM
The race is heating up for BCWF's Wetlands on Wheels campaign! We're currently in 4th place and neck-and-neck with the top five groups. We've been putting the pressure on other groups and have jumped 10,000 votes in the last 2 weeks!

Got a vehicle fleet? Consider redeeming receipt codes to boost our votes (10 votes per receipt). Tell your buds with vehicle fleets! http://www.fuellingchange.com/main/project/259/Wetland-mapping-and-planning-project

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=pumping+gas+with+car+on&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1C2CHNU_enCA417CA456&biw=1280&bih=705&tbm=isch&tbnid=xzShJ0y-bR5GsM:&imgrefurl=http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/republican-environmental-47061502&docid=R7h_We4UI2r0nM&imgurl=http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thedailygreen/images/BE/car-pumping-gas-lg.jpg&w=360&h=460&ei=OvVCT6r7GZTXiQL0o8WJAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=183&vpy=136&dur=2&hovh=254&hovw=199&tx=142&ty=145&sig=115619588036937185303&page=1&tbnh=167&tbnw=124&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=0CEIQrQMwAA

Wetlands for BC
03-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Thanks to your votes we've moved up to 1st place in a country wide competition. We're surpassing Toronto Zoo, who gets over a million visitors per year. Hunters were among the first conservationist in BC, and you're support proves how hunters continue to show a strong voice in the conservation movement. There's still 2 more months to go, so we can't start relaxing yet, but I'm humbled with the support you've already provided. Thanks and keep voting!

one-shot-wonder
03-26-2012, 08:46 PM
BACK TO TOP............keep the momentum going!

Voting ends March 29th!

snareman1234
03-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Already voted once, but got an email the other day that they were giving out 50 free votes. Just plugged in the code they emailed me and added my 50 votes to the cause!

Duckman
03-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Got my free votes in too!

Jagermeister
03-26-2012, 09:47 PM
done! It would be just fantastic for Neil to win the lot for the Wetlands project.

Jagermeister
03-28-2012, 07:03 PM
If you have not redeemed the Bonus points yet, you have until midnight March 29th to do so.
Here's the link. http://www.fuellingchange.com/main/index#doc

GoatGuy
04-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Another 50 bonus points for Earth Day:

We understand there have been problems redeeming the Earth Day Bonus Code. The problem has been fixed and Shell is offering one extra day to redeem the code. The bonus code is now valid from April 23 through to 11:59 p.m. EDT Monday, April 30, 2012. Enter the following Bonus Code to receive 50 Bonus Votes: Gbh-7m79z2

anglo-saxon
04-23-2012, 07:46 PM
It's great to see that the forum members can pull together like this, but am I missing something? Not to be a negative Nelly, but Shell is the same company who wants to develop the entire Skeena River headwaters as a coalbed methane development site. I am fully supportive of saving our environment, including our wetlands, and have often signed petitions like this and donated, etc., but this just seems like Shell's corporate smoke-and-mirrors to me. For instance, if Shell is able to demonstrate, via such activities as their "Fuelling Change" initiative, that they are concerned about the environment, then they probably feel they are more likely to sway the broader conversation towards their own ends. Clearly, Shell is now fighting a PR war in order to sway the situation towards support for their exploration and development strategies in B.C. They're doing the same thing in northern Alberta. I feel that if I support their so-called "Fuelling Change" initiative, that I shall be legitimizing their PR campaign. The bottom line for this foreign company is, after all, their "bottom line". Let's not kid ourselves that they really care about either our wetlands or our other precious places such as the Skeena headwaters.

I think it would be a great shame in a couple of years time to see a thread on this forum describing what a destrcutive mess of the Skeena headwaters Shell has made.

See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2RUhJGbjDM&feature=player_embedded

Web site here: http://skeenawatershed.com/projects/detail/sacred_headwaters_campaign

Perhaps this is the campaign we should be supporting: http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5875/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=1444

Thoughts?

Jagermeister
04-24-2012, 11:10 AM
It's great to see that the forum members can pull together like this, but am I missing something? Not to be a negative Nelly, but Shell is the same company who wants to develop the entire Skeena River headwaters as a coalbed methane development site. I am fully supportive of saving our environment, including our wetlands, and have often signed petitions like this and donated, etc., but this just seems like Shell's corporate smoke-and-mirrors to me. For instance, if Shell is able to demonstrate, via such activities as their "Fuelling Change" initiative, that they are concerned about the environment, then they probably feel they are more likely to sway the broader conversation towards their own ends. Clearly, Shell is now fighting a PR war in order to sway the situation towards support for their exploration and development strategies in B.C. They're doing the same thing in northern Alberta. I feel that if I support their so-called "Fuelling Change" initiative, that I shall be legitimizing their PR campaign. The bottom line for this foreign company is, after all, their "bottom line". Let's not kid ourselves that they really care about either our wetlands or our other precious places such as the Skeena headwaters.

I think it would be a great shame in a couple of years time to see a thread on this forum describing what a destrcutive mess of the Skeena headwaters Shell has made.

See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2RUhJGbjDM&feature=player_embedded

Web site here: http://skeenawatershed.com/projects/detail/sacred_headwaters_campaign

Perhaps this is the campaign we should be supporting: http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5875/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=1444

Thoughts?It cost's you nothing but some time and a little effort to support this. You do have to render your email address, but after all is said and done, remove yourself from their emails. Look at it this way, we are in a position to take from Shell as opposed to giving. That should make you feel better, no?

anglo-saxon
04-24-2012, 02:49 PM
It cost's you nothing but some time and a little effort to support this. ... Look at it this way, we are in a position to take from Shell as opposed to giving. That should make you feel better, no?

Well said. Then perhaps BOTH campaigns should be supported simultaneously? One takes as little time as the other.

Darksith
04-24-2012, 06:00 PM
I liked it for facebook but didn't get an extra 40 votes...anyone else not get theirs?

pmj
04-24-2012, 07:42 PM
I did it all yesterday and today. 80 points. 10 for signing up. There was a code on face book to enter for the 50 points. I got the 20 extra votes for liking on fb.