PDA

View Full Version : Pheasant hunting in BC.

swamper
02-08-2012, 12:25 PM
I would really like to do some pheasant hunting this coming fall, but don't have a clue as to where to go. I see there are seasons in both the Thompson and the Okanagan. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Swamper

David Heitsman
02-08-2012, 12:37 PM
I have heard them cockleing in the river areas south of Cawston and just above the border. Never hunted them but perhaps you could get permission to wander around along the fields and the river's edge.

Gumsehwah
02-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Good place used to be up at kilpula lake, and also around Madden and Sawmill lakes, but that was over 20 years ago now. . .

Ourea
02-08-2012, 02:19 PM
I used to hunt them hard years ago down in the Oliver Osoyoos area up and down the river dike. A lot of private land now and the parcel size is smaller. Always roosters to be had if you had a good dog. I believe there is heritage trust land that is huntable.
Hunted up in the Vernon Armstrong area as well. A lot of birds around in that area but you will need to knock on a lot of doors to get permission for access.

Sasquatch
02-08-2012, 04:31 PM
A lot of birds around in that area but you will need to knock on a lot of doors to get permission for access.

This pretty much sums up my experience with pheasant hunting in BC. The areas that hold any real number of birds are on farmlands and you need permission.

Salmon Arm, Vernon and Osoyoos areas all have birds....getting permission to hunt them is the trick.

bogman
02-09-2012, 08:18 AM
There's no birds left in Oliver /Osoyoos area

Str8shooterbc
02-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Used to be good numbers in Creston but a trip there a couple of years ago we couldn't find one. I was told that the big brewery in Idaho used to rear thousands for release does no longer. That seems to be the same everywhere else in the Province - no one is raising them for release anymore. Used to be a lot near Deer Lake in Burnaby - haven't seen one in quite a while. Same goes for Matsqui Prairie. There are still a few in Oliver/osoyoos but almost all on private land and numbers are way down. Same at Kelowna through to Vernon and Salmon Arm.

If we want huntable Pheasant numbers in BC we have to pay groups to raise them. The "free hunting" days are gone.

wrenchhead
02-09-2012, 02:38 PM
lots around vernon, armpit ,and samlon arm. if you take a drive around the countryside look for corn fields with ditches, and shrubby fence lines in and and around them. these will almost always produce birds.

in these areas a guy just has to do some scouting in the summer and door knocking to ask for permission. good luck.

Dutch
02-09-2012, 05:50 PM
There's no birds left in Oliver /Osoyoos area

Trying to keep them all for yourself now hey

swamper
02-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the input. It's sort of like duck hunting, they are there, but for the most part, permission isn't.