PDA

View Full Version : Vortex spotters

Ovis17
02-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Anyone have one (any model). I can't quite go the Swaro or Leica route at the moment (unless I have serious horseshoes at the sheep banquet which I doubt). Any thoughts/reviews would be appreciated. Good warranty for a mid level spotter as well. I never thought I'd be into the Vortex products but I'm definately intrigued......

BromBones
02-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Used a Viper HD 15-45x65 all of last season and can't find anything negative to say about it. Excellent scope, recommend to anyone looking for a scope in the $1000 or under price range. I checked out quite a few before making a purchase, and think that the Viper is the best option for a mid level scope.

spear
02-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Have a skyline 20-60x80 ED
a lil on the large size, but was great on our mulie hunt this year. Would have been great to have a nice neoprene cover fot it though.

oneheadshot
02-06-2012, 11:13 PM
I purchased the razor hd early last year and used it through out my scouting,guiding and hunting season great scope,very clear and easy to use my only complain is that it is a bit on the bulky side being an 85 mil it is 5mm bigger then anything on the market.I was lucky with my NIKON 9100 digital the zoom fits perfectly in the eye peace.

The Hermit
02-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Starting to feel like a broken record... LOL Check out KOWA Spotters. Better than anything Vortex makes easily as good as Swaro, and around the same money as the Razor. I'll have them at the Sheep Banquet for you to demo.

Ruger4
02-08-2012, 05:37 PM
I have a Vortex Nomad , works just fine , light , compact , nice clear glass , ya theres better bla bla bla kowa zeiss Swaro yadda yadda yadda

troutseeker
02-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Second that on the Nomad, works well and is not too heavy, unlike some. And Vortex warranty is awesome, I had to use it (my fault) and they replaced it no questions asked!

pikguard
02-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Anyone have one (any model). I can't quite go the Swaro or Leica route at the moment (unless I have serious horseshoes at the sheep banquet which I doubt). Any thoughts/reviews would be appreciated. Good warranty for a mid level spotter as well. I never thought I'd be into the Vortex products but I'm definately intrigued......

I've got an angled Razor HD 15-45x65.. works awesome in all daylight conditions up to ~40x magnification. Higher magnification than that and it gets a bit dim and the contrast isn't great. It's usable, but sorta dark. You have to dial it back to <40x for your first and last 10 minutes of daylight. FWIW, I noticed this on almost every sub $1000 spotter I looked at. The dimness is not really noticeable outside of those times. I use it with the Ridgeview tripod. Makes for a nice compact combo and I'm very happy with it. I paid around $700 for the scope and tripod with tax.

The only thing I don't like about the scope is the included neoprene cover which doesn't fit great. I fought with it quite a bit to get it on the scope and probably did it wrong and stretched it out.

bearhunter338-06
02-26-2012, 05:20 PM
I have 2 Vortex rifle scopes and a pair of the Vortex binoculars, I am now looking a the Vortex spotting scope as well. Yes I am impressed with the Vortex line.

Not to steal the thread, but what eye piece do you prefer straight or angled.

knightcc
02-26-2012, 07:18 PM
I would have to agree with the Hermit. Check out the Kowas. There is a reason their high end scope is rated better than the Swaros and their mid range ones are very good as well. We just don't know about them in the hunting world like they do in birding. Worth a look!!

coach
02-26-2012, 07:37 PM
I have a Vortex Impact. Quite frankly, a toilet paper roll with cellophane over each end would be just as effective. I've had it replaced on warranty once already. The first one wouldn't focus. The second one isn't much better. I know there's a lot of guys on this site that like the vortex line - but I'd recommend looking at their higher end stuff first and comparing with other brands. Based on my experience - don't skimp out on a spotter. Buy the best you can afford.

markt308
02-26-2012, 07:51 PM
I have the nomad. bang for buck i'm happy with what it can do. if that's your price range I would recommend it

Bow Walker
02-27-2012, 07:35 PM
I want a spotter. My snack bracket dictates my budget. Vortex will fill that requirement.

Ovis17
03-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the input everyone!