PDA

View Full Version : No good knives anywhere?

russm86
02-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Just letting out some frustration on some recent experiences trying to buy a decent hunting knife. First I checked all local stores and stores within reasonable driving distance for a nice new hunting knife. No one seems to have anything that seemed of decent quality or suitable to me for my purposes. Is it just me or have Buck Knives gotten harder to find and also not quite the quality they used to be? Anyways, so I order a knife from a store out of the states online. I get it in a timely fashion and everything but its the wrong damn knife so return that one. Then I ordered a knife from Cabelas Canada, a Puma as matter of fact, I got it today and the package is all mangled inside the shipping box and the sheath is not leather as it said online and the little button emblem thing that's embedded in the handle is gone and no where to be found. I'm waiting to hear back from Cabelas and see what they have to say. If I have to pay for shipping though it may not be worth sending it back for a new one... Anyone know where/if one could find one of these little Puma eblem buttons and maybe I could just Epoxy it in myself?

Shooter
02-06-2012, 08:38 PM
For all that trouble why didn't you just buy a custom built knife? Probably not much more money that what you have already thrown out and by far a lot less hassle and would be superior quality as well

Wild one
02-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Custom is the way to go. I got my first custom knife 2 years ago and don't regret it

2x4x16
02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
For all that trouble why didn't you just buy a custom built knife? Probably not much more money that what you have already thrown out and by far a lot less hassle and would be superior quality as well
X2 return that knife and contact blacktail, here on the site. worth what ever the price is.

moosinaround
02-06-2012, 09:15 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?77296-Damacus-Clip-point

Nuff said! Buy it and be happy forever!! Moosin

Steelwheels
02-06-2012, 10:35 PM
Just letting out some frustration on some recent experiences trying to buy a decent hunting knife. First I checked all local stores and stores within reasonable driving distance for a nice new hunting knife. No one seems to have anything that seemed of decent quality or suitable to me for my purposes. Is it just me or have Buck Knives gotten harder to find and also not quite the quality they used to be? Anyways, so I order a knife from a store out of the states online. I get it in a timely fashion and everything but its the wrong damn knife so return that one. Then I ordered a knife from Cabelas Canada, a Puma as matter of fact, I got it today and the package is all mangled inside the shipping box and the sheath is not leather as it said online and the little button emblem thing that's embedded in the handle is gone and no where to be found. I'm waiting to hear back from Cabelas and see what they have to say. If I have to pay for shipping though it may not be worth sending it back for a new one... Anyone know where/if one could find one of these little Puma eblem buttons and maybe I could just Epoxy it in myself?

Check out Grohmman Knives web site..have a look at their clearance section....

Singleshotneeded
02-07-2012, 01:34 AM
Send that Puma back and get a Cabelas Alaskan Guide knife made by Buck...I've had one for years and they hold an
edge a long long time, and they're fairly easy to sharpen when necessary. The black nitride coating they put on the
blade protects it well, and the gut hook has opened up a dozen deer and is still sharp...good knife!

BiG Boar
02-07-2012, 03:45 AM
http://www.stevensonknives.com/

There is another BC knife maker. His knives are great, and he will sharpen for life, along with the warranty. I love that knife of his, and its usually on my belt. I am pretty sure he's on this site also. Just forgot his handle.

vip_ruger
02-07-2012, 06:59 AM
I got one of those new Kuiu knife they are light enough and i think strong enough ,and i pack a havlon any that should be all u need for just a touch over 200 buck

russm86
02-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I was kinda wondering about maybe some custom knife but didnt know where to start looking.

swamper
02-07-2012, 08:29 AM
I have bought two knives from Blacktail over the past few years and have been very impressed with both. The quality of the knives and the handmade leather sheaths are exceptional. Get in touch with Roy, you will never look at a commercial knife againi.

Nova
02-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Grohmman knives are always a good choice. My dad handed down his grohmman knife to me and i have had no issues. Good quality steel and it holds a good sharp edge.

cloverphil
02-07-2012, 09:26 AM
there are plenty of knives on ebay also, although you're never quite sure what you're getting till it arrives

personally I use a couple family handed downs and won't ever need to buy another

one is british steel and the other german steel

it's getting harder to find stuff that isn't made in china

tuchodi
02-07-2012, 09:34 AM
As mentioned above there are a few good knife makers here on the Hunting BC site and you will get a good knife that's not to expensive and it will last you all your life. They keep a good edge and are tough.

loganlake9point3
02-07-2012, 12:14 PM
russm86....I agree that custom is the way to go if you want best quality in a knife that will last a lifetime. I have several from master knifemaker Bob Lay. His knives have been featured in the annual publications Knives and Knives Illustrated, also in monthly mags Tactical Knives and Blade. Have a look on the Blade Gallery website under his name, there's usually two or three featured there and they change regularly. Bob lives in Logan Lake BC and goes by the handle "Blacklab" on this forum.

moondog
02-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I've heard good things about Knives of Alaska knives. I would like to get their elk hunter knife in their trekker series. anyone familiar with these?

weatherby_man
02-07-2012, 01:08 PM
I have bought two knives from Blacktail over the past few years and have been very impressed with both. The quality of the knives and the handmade leather sheaths are exceptional. Get in touch with Roy, you will never look at a commercial knife againi.

X2 BT makes excellent knives!

Tikka270
02-07-2012, 01:12 PM
http://www.stevensonknives.com/

There is another BC knife maker. His knives are great, and he will sharpen for life, along with the warranty. I love that knife of his, and its usually on my belt. I am pretty sure he's on this site also. Just forgot his handle.

Good looking knives and a good price!

Singleshotneeded
02-07-2012, 02:47 PM
I don't think you can beat S30V steel for knives...great stuff!

sawmill
02-07-2012, 02:51 PM
D Dog makes a pretty nice blade,I`ve used the one he made me on deer and elk.Works great and it`s real purty too.

horshur
02-07-2012, 03:44 PM
You can get Helle knives from several Canadian distributors. They make many practical using type knives.

http://helle.com/

http://www.knifezone.ca/helle/index.htm

NNS
02-08-2012, 04:58 AM
russm86,
Send that Puma back to Cabelas and tell them that you want your money back!

Then PM blacklab and get a two knife set and be done with it..
You don't have to buy both knives at the same time, but tell him that you want to end up with a two knife set..

Making knives isn't a hobby with him and I can guarantee you he has made and sold more knives than anyone else in Canada in the last 15 years..
I don't think you'll be satisfied with any other knife after owing one of his..

Or you can go through life filling up a knife drawer with cheap chinese shit..:lol::lol::lol:

Dutch
02-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Custom is the way to go, get what you want and really they are something that you can leave to your grandkids.I have several ,some from local and some frome the states and have never had an issue shipping them to Canada ,even a fantastic looking dagger that I really did not need.

The Hermit
02-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Fallkniven knives available too... check them out... I don't think you can buy a nicer knife for the money. Lots of different styles and materials wiht prices from around $100 - $1,300. I'm parial to the F1 design.

http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/VantagePoint.sites2/Fallkniven_Knives.html

blacklab
02-08-2012, 06:46 PM
There are lots of really good knife makers in BC, that make a wide variety of styles using lots of different materials.
Look for somebody that has a good reputation, with a reasonable guarantee. I think lots of local makers can hold their own with any south of the border makers.
I have never been able to figure out why Canadians think something has to be made in the US or off shore to be any good.
If your interested in contacting a knifemaker close to home send me a pm.

Ruger4
02-09-2012, 08:25 AM
There are lots of really good knife makers in BC, that make a wide variety of styles using lots of different materials.
Look for somebody that has a good reputation, with a reasonable guarantee. I think lots of local makers can hold their own with any south of the border makers.
I have never been able to figure out why Canadians think something has to be made in the US or off shore to be any good.
If your interested in contacting a knifemaker close to home send me a pm.

Well said Bob , many good knifemakers right here in BC ;)

Monashee
02-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Very good knives are made by Scott at Sandstorm Knives in Campbell River ,

http://www.sandstormknives.com/

Bow Walker
02-10-2012, 12:16 PM
For an 'off-the-shelf' knife I'd take a hard look at this one.......

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Bear_Grylls_Ultimate_Knife.jpg

It's the Bear Grylls Utimate Knife.

jikkyo
02-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Please, please don't buy a "Bear Grylls Survival Knife". It is such a gimmick and if you really use your knife, it will not last. There are many companies out there that still makes high-quality knives at a fair price. Go to BladeForums and have a read. Spydercos, Benchmades, Kershaw, SwampRat, ESEE, RAT, Boker, Bark River, Fallkniven. Each of those brands have dozens of knives that will suit your needs.

Check out www.warriorsandwonders.com. It's a local company in the LML that sells knives, axes and lights. They have some of the best prices in Canada; even better than some prices in the US! I buy most of my new knives from them. You can usually find amazing deals on knives on BladeForums though; I bought my last three Spydercos on BladeForums and they were all in "New In Box" condition.

If you like knives, check it out!

Leo