PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in Dawson Creek area with Mystery Ranch or Barney’s backpack?

Call of the Wild
02-06-2012, 05:10 PM
I want to upgrade my mountain/sheep backpack and I’m debating between the Mystery Ranch nice frame 6500/7500 or the Barney’s. I’d like to see them and try them on first before deciding which one I want to order, I’m wondering if anyone in the Peace area has either backpack and would be interested to show it.

Thanks

Bighorn hunter
02-06-2012, 05:14 PM
no, but I have a Kifaru that I think is right up there with either of those packs:)

MtnBoy
02-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Wow those are 2 different breeds there...I had M.R, Barney's and Kifaru...each is good for different reasons. I have a buddy up there I can call to see if he will meet up with you. Good Luck in you pack hunt.

I have a true custom McHales built only for sheep hunting on the way...cant wait. I will have a couple of other McHale Packs at the Wild Sheep Society Convention for display if you are coming.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
02-06-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm in the same vote i currently have the eberlestock and don't care for heavy loads in it.. would like MR or a wilderness wander

vip_ruger
02-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Give Ozzy a PM he has a mystery ranch pack says he loves it

MtnBoy
02-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Just sold my M.R to a fellow HBC'er. I liked it...had some options that were of no use though for sheep hunting. Also had a Wilderness Wanderer too. Everyone I know who bought a WW ended up selling for a lighter, more durable pack. My buddies all run M.R's up North.

2x4x16
02-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Just sold my M.R to a fellow HBC'er. I liked it...had some options that were of no use though for sheep hunting. Also had a Wilderness Wanderer too. Everyone I know who bought a WW ended up selling for a lighter, more durable pack. My buddies all run M.R's up North.

Yep he sold it to me. Have used it with some weight for hikes and love it. I hope to have a sheep stuffed in it one day soon.

Good Old Outdoors
02-07-2012, 12:55 AM
I have a mystery ranch 3 day patrol bvs in coyote brown, hands down the best bag i ever owned. I dont use it for hunting, but for what i use it for its perfect. I plan on buying another for hunting soon.

Call of the Wild
02-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks guys, I like the Mystery Ranch for its diversity and the Barney’s since the frame is excellent to pack out game quarters and most of all I want a top end backpack for hiking/sheep hunting, a field proven product. After two 9-12 days sheep/goat hunt with an Eberlestock I want more room for a duo or a solo hunt but mostly a more COMFY backpack when loaded with meat. My brother and I found the Eberlestock very painful in the low back while packing out our goats for a very long distance after both hunts.

Checking Mystery Ranch website I see they have a Nice Load Sling option for 65$, I must have missed that product on their site in the past. Now with that option I’m leaning more toward a Nice Frame 7500 and a Nice Load Sling, a perfect set up when sheep hunting or the day I kill an other elk down a valley. I also like the Nice Daypack Lid, can pack enough for a day on a mountain and with good shoulder straps for balance.

With all the good reviews on the forum, the pros and cons on the Mystery Ranch and Barney’s I wasn’t sure which one to choose. With Mystery Ranch excellent customer service according to some of you and the fact their product line suits my needs better they’ll have a new customer this year. The only "negative" discussions on both backpacks were debates on how good one was over the other one!!!!:-D:-D

BCrams
02-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Pro's and Cons with most top end packs. I've been using a Barney pack for over 6 years for sheep hunts. Suits my needs quite well and have convinced many hunters (including many HBC members) to buy one. Used quite a few packs - WW, Kifaru and finally had a good look at the MR pack this past year. Barney has been around for a long time and are a proven pack with heavy loads.

4 of the 5 people on our trip this year were using the Barney pack. 3 Hunters, and 1 Pinnacle.

I think owning a Mystery or McHale would be ideal and a good fit for those 1-5 day trips. I tried the MR for good measure and I wouldn't mind one for those trips of that duration for deer, elk and bighorn hunting or quick off the highway Stone's. A tough and durable looking pack!! Anything beyond, I'll shoulder the Barney for sheep or if in an elk camp where a pack frame can lay around and be handy - it packs a heavy load.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
02-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Pro's and Cons with most top end packs. I've been using a Barney pack for over 6 years for sheep hunts. Suits my needs quite well and have convinced many hunters (including many HBC members) to buy one. Used quite a few packs - WW, Kifaru and finally had a good look at the MR pack this past year. Barney has been around for a long time and are a proven pack with heavy loads.

4 of the 5 people on our trip this year were using the Barney pack. 3 Hunters, and 1 Pinnacle.

thanks just saved me a PM will be ordering a barney... now the question is the hunter or the pinnacle any thoughts

I think owning a Mystery or McHale would be ideal and a good fit for those 1-5 day trips. I tried the MR for good measure and I wouldn't mind one for those trips of that duration for deer, elk and bighorn hunting or quick off the highway Stone's. Anything beyond, I'll shoulder the Barney for sheep or if in an elk camp where a pack frame can lay around and be handy - it packs a heavy load.

thanks just saved me a PM will be ordering a barney... now the question is the hunter or the pinnacle any thoughts

Chironomid_16
02-07-2012, 11:35 AM
The Nice 7500 is bombproof and can carry massive amounts of weight. Will not be dissapointed if you go this route.

whitetailsheds
02-07-2012, 02:27 PM
I've been using the MR Kodiak for 3 years now, and love it! Have helped a couple other people make MR purchases (MR Kodiaks as well), and both appreciate the packs.
Gimme a PM and you can check my Kodiak out....I would have appreciated the same but couldn't find anyone around here with them. Grant

Call of the Wild
02-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Mtnboy

I never heard of McHales, I’ll look into it. Too bad I’m working during the sheep convention, kind of have to earn those days off for this fall. Next year I’ll attend if I’m off hope to see you there.

BcRams

I’ve read your posts about the Barney’s and I believe you they are excellent backpacks. It would be nice to see more pictures on their website, the few on the web and yours you posted on the forum and BC Outdoors give the impression of well design packs. That’s why I’d like to see both before deciding, thanks for your input.

BCrams
02-07-2012, 05:18 PM
BcRams

I’ve read your posts about the Barney’s and I believe you they are excellent backpacks. It would be nice to see more pictures on their website, the few on the web and yours you posted on the forum and BC Outdoors give the impression of well design packs. That’s why I’d like to see both before deciding, thanks for your input.[/QUOTE]

If you're looking for a pack that can double as a day pack or a few day pack for hunts for deer, elk, goats, moose along with longer trips like sheep, I would say go with a MR for its versatality as a multi-use pack. I won't use the Barney for elk, deer or moose hunting other than leaving it in camp / truck in case I need to pack something out.

Superdeuce
02-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Check out the MR "crewcab" if you want a do-it-all that you can adapt as needed for expedition, daypack and load carrier all in the one pack and all as needed within the same hunt.

MtnBoy
02-13-2012, 01:15 AM
BcRams

It would be nice to see more pictures on their website,

B Crams I was chatting with Bob in Vegas and the new site is almost done. I got a sneak peak and wow...it will be worth the wait...

yama49
02-14-2012, 10:25 PM
I have a j107, and plan on going to a mr 7500 with sling option, but undecided yet.... I will b at the sheep convention this year, so i will look at the mchales if MTNBOY has one there..

Superdeuce
02-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Crewcab is actually a better hauler than the load sling. Add the shoulder pack accessory and you have a lot of room to pack gear when fully expanded too. MR customer service are pretty good if you call and ask them questions if on the fence.

ryanb
02-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Just got my Kifaru Timberline (their new lightweight-durable mountain hunting model) in the mail a few days ago. Quite impressed with the design of the pack. The weight of the pack is what really sets it apart, only 5.5 pounds for a 7200ci pack. Have loaded it up and it carries a heavy load nicely, but must admitI haven't yet hiked with it. Check it out.

Hoping Devilbear doesn't show up on this thread to poopoo Kifaru again...I noticed he was on the Kifaru forum the other day right after poopoo-ing them on this site looking for info on their new pack...haha

338 winmag
02-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Any pictures of that Kifaru pack?