PDA

View Full Version : GPS Recommendation????

hutton
02-06-2012, 11:25 AM
I am looking to pick up a hand held GPS and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Never had one before but want to pick one up for hunting, fishing, hiking, ect, ect. Can hand held units be used for driving as well???? Any help, tips, and info is greatly appreciated.

coach
02-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Hutton... First post, eh? Are you related to EF Hutton? When you talk, does everybody listen? Kidding, of course. Welcome to the site. Common protocol around here is to introduce yourself and tell a joke. I'll assume you're going to do that next and will answer your query..

I have a Garmin Oregon 450 with the BC Backroads map books mini-sd card. I really like the unit and have had no issues with the touch screen in colder temperatures - something that others may have had difficulties with. I have a power adapter for the truck as well as a window mount and can use it while driving. With the backroads card, I can see all street names, but cannot type in a address and hit "go to". I believe this would be possible with a different map program. It's important to consider all of the additional costs of your gps unit before making your purchase - things like the car adapter, mini-sd map card, screen protector, carrying case, etc.

BromBones
02-06-2012, 12:05 PM
I use a Garmin GSPmap 62. I think they retail for ~ $300. I dont use it for topos, just marking waypoints and guiding back to them, and the occasional track. It has plenty of options for me. The battery life is excellent using lithium batteries. The next up models have a few more features, but none that I really needed.

It's the basic model of that line, but it is excellent. The ability to pick up a stong signal in thick timber/deep canyons is very good, which is the main reason I upgraded. My last Garmin (E-Trex) was useless in that terrain (though it did float - last time I saw it it was drifting down the Iskut river ;)

hutton
02-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the tips, will need to do more researching. As far as I go, well, I like to fish and hunt, well pretty much anything outdoors. Only been in BC for 3 years so kinda just gettin' going and learning about diffrent areas. I have been using this site (it is a great site) for a while, lots of good people and advice, but this is my first post.
Sorry Coach, and when I talk, NOBODY listens (especially the dog!), but he is a good one for yeah:

Three blondes are sitting by the side of a river holding fishing poles with the lines in the water. A Game Warden comes up behind them, taps them on the shoulder and says, "Excuse me, ladies, I'd like to see your fishing licenses."
"We don't have any." replied the first blonde.
"Well, if your going to fish, you need fishing licenses." said the Game Warden.
"But officer," replied the second blonde,"we aren't fishing. All we have are magnets at the end of our lines and we're collecting debris off the ottom of the river."
The Game Warden lifted up all the lines and, sure enough, there were horseshoe magnets tied on the end of each line. "Well, I know of no law against it," said the Game Warden, "take all the debris you want." And with that, the Game Warden left.
As soon as the Game Warden was out of sight, the three blondes started laughing hysterically. "What a dumb Fish Cop," the second blonde said to the other two, "doesn't he know that there are steelhead in this river?!"

moosinaround
02-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the tips, will need to do more researching. As far as I go, well, I like to fish and hunt, well pretty much anything outdoors. Only been in BC for 3 years so kinda just gettin' going and learning about diffrent areas. I have been using this site (it is a great site) for a while, lots of good people and advice, but this is my first post.
Sorry Coach, and when I talk, NOBODY listens (especially the dog!), but he is a good one for yeah:

Three blondes are sitting by the side of a river holding fishing poles with the lines in the water. A Game Warden comes up behind them, taps them on the shoulder and says, "Excuse me, ladies, I'd like to see your fishing licenses."
"We don't have any." replied the first blonde.
"Well, if your going to fish, you need fishing licenses." said the Game Warden.
"But officer," replied the second blonde,"we aren't fishing. All we have are magnets at the end of our lines and we're collecting debris off the ottom of the river."
The Game Warden lifted up all the lines and, sure enough, there were horseshoe magnets tied on the end of each line. "Well, I know of no law against it," said the Game Warden, "take all the debris you want." And with that, the Game Warden left.
As soon as the Game Warden was out of sight, the three blondes started laughing hysterically. "What a dumb Fish Cop," the second blonde said to the other two, "doesn't he know that there are steelhead in this river?!"

AhhhHaaa Hutton, that is a freakin good one!!! Steelhead?!!!! That's some funny $hit right there!!! Moosin

BernDawg
02-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Garmin.

I own a Magellan and will never buy another.

(Great joke BTW)

Singleshotneeded
02-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Funny!! I've had the Garmin 60 CSX for years, if you find one cheap then grab it, otherwise the new version is the 62.
Damned fine GPS, always works! I have a mount for using it on my quad. Don't get touch screens...

hutton
02-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Any thoughts on the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx???? It's a cheaper Garmin but doesn't seem bad for a first(beginner) unit and it comes with topo map of Canada. Only $190 at Cosco.

iwing
02-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Garmin 60 csx, go to gps city online, you can order them for about 220.

Singleshotneeded
02-06-2012, 02:06 PM
There you go, I figured there must be some killer deals on old 60 csx's that they're clearing out...sending you a PM, Hutton

AK-47
02-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Garmin Dakota 20 + GPS Backroad mapbook

MOOSE MILK
02-06-2012, 03:33 PM
I have been using the Garmin Oregon 450 for the last three years and am really pleased with it, no issues with the touch screen. Loaded topo Canada and Backroads, I don't leave home with out it!!!

Buck
02-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Garmin 60 csx with backroads map is a great tool to have.

358mag
02-06-2012, 05:41 PM
I have been using the Garmin Oregon 450 for the last three years and am really pleased with it, no issues with the touch screen. Loaded topo Canada and Backroads, I don't leave home with out it!!!
What type of battery life you getting with your Garmin 450 ??????

Grizzlydick
02-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Have a look in the "Gear" section here. We have recently hashed it out. Should get some good info, I sure did.

junkyard_g
02-06-2012, 08:34 PM
garmin 76csx or 60csx were the most user friendly while still being affordable

bosca
02-06-2012, 09:08 PM
I started with the Garmin Etrex H with high sensitivity receiver. Very durable basic unit for around $100. This unit will get you from A to B very reliably. You can manually enter coordinates from other sources and 'go to' them. It will record your track and up 500 way points. The unit actually has a quite a few features that will take some time to master... I would say this is a great entry level unit that familiarize you with how you can potentially use a GPS.

I now have a Garmin Etrex Vista HCX with Map Source Topo for western Canada. Difference here is that I will now have a topo map and the ability to transfer data (ie., maps, routes...)from my computer to my GPSand vise versa. Have just begun to play around with the Vista so I can't give much advice...seems pretty slick...display is a bit small compared to the basic model but will hold my opinion.

I definitely would recommend the Etrex H...Very tough, straight forward device that will do just about everything you really need until you figure out how you want to use your GPS.

bobboa
02-06-2012, 10:23 PM
I also have the Garmin Oregon 450. I just recieved the unit but have gone on a few geo cache sites. Hoping to get it out next week for soem back country experience. So far so good. Such a nice wife for buying it for me.

rides bike to work
02-06-2012, 10:45 PM
I hunt with a group that all have garmin rhino gps units the radio function in my opinion is priceless we have guided a hunter into a buck from the next mountain over and many times been able to direct a hunter into the path of a buck that has been bumped I personally have not bought one yet as garmin is in the process of coming out with a new line.What I want to know is when are they going to come out with the gps with satalite images I bet its in the near future.

bosca
02-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Any thoughts on the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx???? It's a cheaper Garmin but doesn't seem bad for a first(beginner) unit and it comes with topo map of Canada. Only $190 at Cosco.

If it is important for you have the topo map then the Etrex vista hcx is the top of the etrex line...is expandable with micro sd card and has colour display. You can get it at London drugs $169 on regular price or $129 on sale. You can load with any map you want....just need micro sd card to hold it. Keep in mind the legend and the vista only come with basic base maps...that is no topo features just road, rivers, lakes etc...I just bought the map source topo for western canada for $59 on ebay.

If you are pretty comfortable with electronic gadgets than go for it...but if not I think you should start off with a basic unit

Crimson Viking
02-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Ok here's another option I have been thinking about.

Many of the new "smart phones" have a gps option , with various apps being available. Now the kicker is you dont need to have data or cell service available it runs off satelite just like a Gps. Be sure before getting one, I can not be held responsible for you getting the wrong phone. I may not be innocent i'm just not guilty.

I myself have a very old Magellan 315. I wonder where i put that dang thing. I am definatly looking for some kind of upgrade, as well. A smart phone just might kill 2 birds with one stone.

Good Luck

hunter1947
02-07-2012, 02:26 AM
I have had a garmin now fopr 14 years it has never done me wrong ,I like..

hutton
02-07-2012, 07:22 PM
WOW, thanks guys for all the info, definitly helps. Still not sure what I will end up with (need to talk to the accountant and she what SHE says-lol). but thanks to all your help it is now at least narrowed down to just a few.
Thanks again.

WestCoastTodd
02-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Ok here's another option I have been thinking about.

Many of the new "smart phones" have a gps option , with various apps being available. Now the kicker is you dont need to have data or cell service available it runs off satelite just like a Gps. Be sure before getting one, I can not be held responsible for you getting the wrong phone. I may not be innocent i'm just not guilty.

I myself have a very old Magellan 315. I wonder where i put that dang thing. I am definatly looking for some kind of upgrade, as well. A smart phone just might kill 2 birds with one stone.

Good Luck
I've got an android with GPS - it works well, but the GPS is a killer on the battery. I'm not even sure it you'd get 5 hours of out of it, with GPS on.

I haven't used a real GPS unit. How long do the batteries last in those?

hutton
02-07-2012, 07:59 PM
.......What I want to know is when are they going to come out with the gps with satalite images I bet its in the near future.

They already have it!!!
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=70144

rides bike to work
02-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Pay by the year those guys are genius they got me buy the balls I gotta have it.

Lionhill
02-07-2012, 11:20 PM
I have a good small garmin, but that is back up to an iphone with motion-x GPS. Great battery life, downloadable topo maps and very accurate GPS data. You can also take photos in the app and apply them to locations. IE: See a big buck through spotting scope, take photo and apply the image to a map for reference.

The iphone does not have to be in phone range to work, and when outside cell coverage I turn off the phone/wifi anyway, which saves a load of battery life.

It's my phone camera / videocam / gps / maps / hunting regs device.

LH

bosca
02-07-2012, 11:26 PM
I've got an android with GPS - it works well, but the GPS is a killer on the battery. I'm not even sure it you'd get 5 hours of out of it, with GPS on.

I haven't used a real GPS unit. How long do the batteries last in those?

Should get between 20 to 25 hours.

Singleshotneeded
02-08-2012, 02:10 AM
Get the Garmin 60csx or 62, I've heard if the touch screens are out of your pocket for long in sub-zero
they stop working, or if you're using them on a quad for navigation.

troutseeker
02-09-2012, 07:38 PM

The Hcx is an awesome GPS. Plus it is smaller in size that the 60CSX, mind you the screen is a touch smaller too, but not enough to bother me. That is a smoking price at Costco, if I needed a GPS I'd get it.

Singleshotneeded
02-11-2012, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't want the screen any smaller than it is on my 60csx. Spend $30 more and order a 60csx from gpscity.com.

KevinB
02-12-2012, 10:44 AM
I have used both the etrex visita HCx and the 60CSx models extensively. They both work very well as they both use high sensitivity chipsets and will maintain satellite fix nearly anywhere. The etrex is quite a bit smaller and lighter but the little joystick controller is annoying.
Size/weight were more important to me for personal use so I have the etrex. For work I use a 60CSx as its buttons etc are a little more user friendly and the screen is a little bigger. The interface is pretty much the same otherwise.
Not everyone is happy with the new 62 series.

http://blog.hendricksen.eu/2010/08/22/comparison-between-garmin-gpsmap-60csx-and-62s/

http://freegeographytools.com/2011/still-looking-for-a-good-fieldwork-handheld-gps-a-review-of-the-garmin-62s-part-i

If I was in the OP's shoes I would just buy a discounted 60 series or one of the etrex H series and use that. Save the money for when other makers enter the market and start building field ready rugged GPS units that don't run on some sh*tty proprietary restrictive software platform. something that uses android or some other open source code as its operating system but isn't a phone. you could then use apps to do all kinds of stuff, or even write your own if you were really geeky.

Steelwheels
02-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Garmin Oregon 550.... No issues with touch screen..I like the camera..real visuals of your waypoints...I would be looking at the Montana series..bigger screen

Singleshotneeded
02-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Steelwheels, if you were mounting your Oregon on the bars of your quad and riding/hunting in sub zero temps, you'd
find your screen controls freezing up. If you're keeping your Oregon in an inside coat pocket then your body heat is
keeping it warm, so you're not having any issues...it doesn't freeze up in the time it takes to pull it out and look at it.
Since many hunters mount the GPS on their quads and use it for navigation when it's a bit below zero(and then add
the wind chill factor), a GPS with button controls like the 60csx is a better option.

Steelwheels
02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
I do have a Ram mount for my old 76csx on my quad and still use it when I'm traveling ..yes I keep my Oregon in my fannypack while on foot and in late fall hunts in 7-16... Still I find the touch screen easier and have yet to have it freeze up..I see the new 62csx also has a camera...interesting as well

chris26262
02-14-2012, 05:38 PM
I've had the garmin etrex legend for years! It was a great starter for me (and my budget) but now have the new Garmin Rino 610!!! Thank you mrs clause! The rino is fantastic. The group I hunt with all have them and can't wait to get out this fall with the guys. Happy hunting

Singleshotneeded
02-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Yes, in a fanny pack or pocket it's getting radiated body heat, and won't freeze up in the short amount of time
you're looking at it outside... You do use the 76c for quad navigation. I was just saying that if a guy is going
to get ONE gps for navigating on his quad in late fall sub zero, then pop it out of it's ram mount and carry it
with him, then a button controlled unit like the 60csx is a better choice.

jack Findlay
02-19-2012, 04:53 PM
There you go, I figured there must be some killer deals on old 60 csx's that they're clearing out...sending you a PM, Hutton

Go with the Garmin 60CSX if you can find one. Got my last one from e-bay in the Us, About $274. Still a good deal at that price