PDA

View Full Version : klanawa river or sarita river

robertmcallan
02-05-2012, 10:48 AM
just wondering if anyone has ever fished the klanawa river or sarita river for steelhead. me and a buddy are wanting to try some new rivers and looking for anyone with some knowledge on these rivers

IronNoggin
02-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Both systems have been nearly decimated by poor logging practices, resulting in the Flash Flood (scour) to Instant Low Water Cycles that are far too often the case following aggressive timber harvesting. The impacts to the steelhead populations have been dramatic. The loss of suitable rearing habitat is probably the amongst the most significant constraint they face there now. Effected coho populations just as dramatically (of course, any species that spends a full year in their natal stream before wandering to the chuck will be impacted).

There has been some habitat work conducted on the Sarita, chiefly by the local FN Band in Bamfield. Some decent progress, and hopefully more in the works...

Today, the populations of steelhead in both systems are depressed, and the low numbers dissuade most from searching for them. VERY much a hit and miss scenario, you ARE looking for the proverbial "Needle In The Haystack".

Even with all the destruction, both are scenic systems. If you do decide to go, please handle any fish encountered with Kid Gloves! They represent our ONLY possibility of ever potentially rebuilding their numbers to reasonable levels down the road...

Cheers,
Nog

steel_ram
02-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Remember when the Kalanawa area first opened up and we found it loaded with Steelhead in late May and June. They logged the crap out of all the river valleys I know between Renfrew and Barkley except lower Walbran and Carmanah. Don't know if either had fish though we made a few casts in Walbran anyways. Several Streams between Renfrew and Barclay had/have steelhead including what use to be some fantastic summer runs.

spreerider
02-06-2012, 09:15 AM
i know walbran has recently been logged but not right up to the river, but should have some more access points now.
sarita had a good population of cutties last time i walked up the river, but that was before the last big washout at the lake.

lovemywinchester
02-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Being an island steelheader can be very depressing and eye opening as to the destruction that logging can cause. I moved there in 95 and that spring they closed all the east coast rivers from low numbers of fish. I caught fish but to hear the stories from the old guys its hard to imagine how good it was back then. Throw some pics up if you guys mange to get in there and hook up.

02-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Being an island steelheader can be very depressing and eye opening as to the destruction that logging can cause. I moved there in 95 and that spring they closed all the east coast rivers from low numbers of fish. I caught fish but to hear the stories from the old guys its hard to imagine how good it was back then. Throw some pics up if you guys mange to get in there and hook up.

Im 36, Back then was not very long ago for a number of our runs.
I fished Ucluelet extensivly when from 19 years old to 33. I fished boat access only and many other "Secret" places. In July i woul d be catching 20-25 fish a day in rivers you could drive to. I have seen Heaven. When i left that place i had all but stopped fishing a number of places due to fish #'s and a few other things related to these places. DO NOT EVER THINK "BACK IN THE DAY" WAS THAT LONG AGO, I watched back in the day go by, and im not even half way through my life.

As Iron says "Kid Gloves" loggers arent the only reason these rivers are hurt. We are too.

Find that river and find what is there but remember even if you have a stellar day catching fish there may still only be 100 fish in that river.

Wood butcher
02-07-2012, 07:56 AM
I have fished both.
Will you catch more fish than somewhere else? I doubt it.
Will you be alone? Most likely, but maybe not now it's been seen on the internet.
I personally find that exploration is just as much fun as catching fish, jump in the truck and go.
If it's all about how many fish your going to catch on your new secret system I think your going to be disappointed. If its fish your after you might just want to stick with the popular rivers.

If you do go and do well, lie about it. It's what fisherman do.

robertmcallan
02-07-2012, 05:49 PM
thanks guys ya getting up early and driving out to these places and seeing the different water is probably most of the fun of all never know till you get out their thanks for the info

steel_ram
02-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Bushwacking and climbing down canyons on these remote rivers is not for everyone. I've endangered myself more doing this than I have on any hunting trip, but occasionally you hit the gold mine, (or should I say silver).

Wood butcher
02-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Bushwacking and climbing down canyons on these remote rivers is not for everyone. I've endangered myself more doing this than I have on any hunting trip, but occasionally you hit the gold mine, (or should I say silver).
Yeah, it's pretty dumb where you will go just to catch a fish your not even going to keep. Sure is fun though?

parahunter
03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Does anyone know how navigable Klanawa is from the bridge to the ocean? I.e. waterfalls, rapids, monsters, etc.?

steeliehead
12-31-2017, 11:33 PM
There are a couple small rapids but nothing to really worry about .

lip_ripper00
12-31-2017, 11:54 PM
Only 5 years? I am sure you can do better

markomoose
01-01-2018, 05:45 PM
Fished the Sarita 5 years ago all day with 3 experienced steelheaders.Not a sniff?