PDA

View Full Version : Ground Blind

Walksalot
02-05-2012, 09:32 AM
I am thinking of purchasing a ground blind for the up coming season. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I would like it for both archery and rifle hunting.

bearhunter338-06
02-05-2012, 09:39 AM
I was going to build a ground blind for my self. I scouted out the area I wanted and had the perfect spot located. Then I had my hartattack. When I was able to drive again I went to my spot to find out someone shot my moose.........:-(

hunterdon
02-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Not to say that I am an expert in ground blinds. I did buy a ground blind at Canadian Tire about 7 years ago. Most people probably think that ground blinds are not noticed by deer. At least I thought so. Anyways deer do seem to noticed anything different about the area, including a recently erected ground blind. With that in mind, whatever ground blind you choose to purchase, it's a good idea to put some natural scenery around your ground blind. I use some coniferous branches, sticks or whatever. This helps to break up the outline of your blind and seems to work quite well. A ground blind also helps to provide shelter from wind and cold making the hunt more comfortable. It also gives you some relief should you care to move around a bit without being spotted by an unnoticed approaching deer which all bow hunters can appreciate.
Good hunting!

Singleshotneeded
02-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Yes, cut some branches and drape them around your ground blind, to make it look more natural!
Cabelas.com has a nice selection of blinds, take a look.

gbear
02-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Yes, cut some branches and drape them around your ground blind, to make it look more natural!
Cabelas.com has a nice selection of blinds, take a look.

Yes, that sure works. I had a whitetail buck use the branches to make a scrape and put his rack right through my blind.

I've always just used the ameristep dog house blinds.

Davey Crockett
02-05-2012, 07:57 PM
I have an ameristep outhouse blind (one person) and it is light and very portable. I think one of the best things to do is to put it up early so that the deer or whatever get used to seeing it. The only problem is that these blinds aren't extremely sturdy and can get ripped from the wind. Another tip is to never have a window open behind you as you will be sillouetted. Finally, I would invest in some shooting sticks otherwise it is very awkward to shoot while sitting on a stool with nothing to rest on.

The Hermit
02-05-2012, 09:54 PM
They are also impossibly tight for trad bows.

springpin
02-05-2012, 10:02 PM
I have an ameristep doghouse. And like it. I always set it up a month before I plan on using it, I "branch it in" and leave it up for the remainder of the season. That way the critters don't get to spooked by changing the area often.

deer nut
02-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Ameristep are reasonable priced. I got an archery buck using the Outhouse blind but it was extremely hard to draw a bow inside (more suited to rifle or X-bow). The Doghouse is OK: a bit bigger but I find the openings a bit low - had to cut the legs off a bar stool to sit at the proper height. The openings are also not the best configuration & the so-called "shoot-through" mesh areas are too small IMO If you have the cash I think I'd upgrade to a double bull blind or something like that.

Ground blinds work very well though: I had deer feeding on the boughs I put to camo the blind and they didn't spook. I did practice scent control but the small outhouse blind must have kept my scent from dispersing more likely.

uraarchr
02-05-2012, 10:50 PM
I brushed mine in well on a late season hunt(covered with a white couch cover and
branches)a muley came past at less than five feet.the ice crunched under my feet as I turned and he looked right at me and then continiued walking.I arrowed him.The one time I didnt b rrush in it seemed like the whittails stayedfarther away

aggiehunter
02-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Regardless of all that has been said I used one for the first time last season .. I had wt's looking in the window..Hermit was right and I couldnot shoot my recurve out of it ..so..used the kids Xcaliber with bog pods...never killed one but it was probably the most relaxing fun filled hunt I have ever had...

Walksalot
02-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the input guys it is muchly appreciated.