PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going hunting tomorrow: Where to go?

Robert_G
10-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Somewhere within 3 hours of Chilliwack. Looking for Mulies or Whitetail.
Or if someone in the Interior is looking for someone to hunt with tomorrow evening, then there is that possiblity too.
Suggestions?

browningboy
10-13-2006, 07:09 PM
If you want somewhere close for a day hunt, go up Nahatlach in Boston Bar, criuse around some of the roads that lead to "rio river rafting" and I put some pointers on the nahatlatch logging camp thread, or the east gate of manning park, I believe its called Copper Creek at the entrance and leads towards Placer Lake, thats a nice area, but I haven't been there for a while as I always head up north.
Good luck!

Robert_G
10-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Funny you mentioned Placer Lake area. I was already thinking that if no one responded. I was going to hunt right along the Similkimeen river near the FSR, and glass the cuts just above it.

Steeleco
10-13-2006, 08:09 PM
I hear Princeton has a problem with deer, I'm sure they'd appreciate your help :lol:

cowboy-up69
10-13-2006, 08:53 PM
I hear Princeton has a problem with deer, I'm sure they'd appreciate your help :lol:

Deer problem?? No wayyyy, only problem with deer is that there is none around here!!!:twisted: :lol:

DropTines
10-13-2006, 08:57 PM
nope not a deer problem "in" princeton, you drive along the benches and see atleast 4 deer, nowhere to be found in the bush
________
MAZDASPEED6 HISTORY (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mazdaspeed6)

Robert_G
10-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Well....between DropTines and Cowboy, you guys should be able to point me in the right direction. I refuse to fight the crowds up the whipsaw though...that place is always loaded with road hunters.

3kills
10-13-2006, 10:32 PM
if i wasnt workin tomorrow i would say stop in around here but i will be at work...

ruger#1
10-13-2006, 10:39 PM
i would say , get of the road to avoid the road trash., sunday summit around the garrison lakes, you can always fish in the mid day. or check out copper mountain. have fun be safe.

Robert_G
10-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Hey Ruger, have the deer not migrated down from Sunday summit yet??

4pointer
10-14-2006, 12:38 PM
I was just up Placer and Copper Mt. Not a track to be found up copper. Placer had a few doe hanging around. Sunday summit had a few doe as well. Lots of deer "in" Princeton, none in the bush. Saw a nice 2pt mulie, right behind the police station. Passed up a 2pt and 3pt mulie on eastside Tulameen, right where JoeD2J shot his monster.

browningboy
10-14-2006, 09:56 PM
A good bet to try is Lilloet, its got great hunting as well and doesn't seem to get the same pressure as the okanogan, you just have to go out and explore, when you go camping in the summer, what areas do you like, try them and while you're out next time try some scouting. Theres so many places to go, you can go off road from harrison lake to lytton, you're bound to see something there as well.:evil:
Good Luck

ruger#1
10-14-2006, 10:08 PM
there deer should be migrating back when the heavy snows hit. early mid November. its nice open country. last week i stopped at the summit and tried some elk bugling. there were a lot of deer tracks. it is getting thick there, also try Friday creek. a lot of roads are deactivated, so if you like walking or have a quad. take chains when it rains its like driving on grease. good luck and hunt safe.

Robert_G
10-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Well, I went up Placer FSR on Saturday.
What a ZOO!!!
In an area of about 2000 acres, there was probably 12 camps set up, and all combined, about 50 hunters. I talked to a few of the guys camping, and no one had even heard of a doe being seen in the last 5 days. All the meat poles were empty...so it was pretty clear that it was going to be a deadbeat evening.

I came across this nice little block that no one else was hunting, but there wasn't much in the way of sign, even in the timber.

http://members.shaw.ca/rcompserve1/PlacerLake/PA140003.jpg

This 2nd picture is at 5000 feet and I can't believe how fresh the green is in the timber. This was a beautiful little area I had all to myself. There was at least a little bit of sign in here, but no much. Not sure why, but this has everything a deer could want. Shade, protection, water, etc, etc...and the surrounding landscape was a natural funnel.

http://members.shaw.ca/rcompserve1/PlacerLake/PA140005.jpg

Local biologists tell us that there could be as few as 25 Grizzlies in then 'entire' Manning Park/Cascades region. (An area of over 10,000 square miles). I should of bought a lottery ticket that night. This dung measures 17 inches in length. I was a good 2km from my truck when I walked through this clearing, and I found another one almost as big about 40 feet away.

http://members.shaw.ca/rcompserve1/PlacerLake/PA140009.jpg

Here is a nice spot I picked out to glass for the last hour of the evening. Nothing to be seen...about 4000 feet or so.

http://members.shaw.ca/rcompserve1/PlacerLake/PA140020.jpg

Anyways...this trip reminded me of why I haven't hunted the Princeton area for at least 3 years, and why I probably won't for at least the next 10 years.
For those of you that complain about Rock Creek, I've been to both and I can honestly say that Rock Creek doesn't have even a 1/4 of the crowds that Princeton does.

ohno
10-18-2006, 02:52 PM
That is some beauty country. I went through there camping 2 summers ago. We went to Flat top Mt. which is further South and saw a lot of bucks and does. The biggest buck was a 3pt, had to drive right up to him to get him off the road. Like that ever happens during hunting season! If you can get away from the crowds I think there are some really nice animals in that country.

Iron-Head
10-18-2006, 08:04 PM
I was up on the Jura about 15 minutes out of princeton and on opening morning we saw 15 bucks? and mabey 50 deer in total> we didnt even have to hike very far, mabey 30 mins by foot and your right into them...