PDA

View Full Version : Coyote howling

lone wolf
02-04-2012, 11:40 PM
I am new to coyote huntin . All geared up and got my first one last weekend . Took my 4 yr old son out for a mid morning hunt and we came home empty . Figured i would head out in the afternoon by myself . Such a beautifull day . My first spot I saw 2 moose . Thats ok i move to another spot and after beeing set up I hear a sled coming .He drops onto the swamp I'm set up on and rips around . OH well this spot is shot . I chew the quad through a trail I know that is not well used . First swamp I come across I set up . Leanin against a tree . Start with female howlls . Nothing . Move to male challenge . Sun is starting to set . So make the last effort a rabbit distress . Not long into it I see a shadow racing through trees on the other side . Game on . Except I lose sight . Where is he at?? I shut the call off as this thing should be close . Can't hear anything so I lip squeek . Nothing . I fire the call back up and this thing is 40 yrds away . I cannot see it but its making a hell of a racket with this barking and howling . Loud and close . I don't know how to get him out . I change to a male challenge . OOps This intensified the situation . My foxpro and a coyote are going at it noisely . Then another yote came in behind this one . I am losing light fast and can't get a sight on either of them . This is loud and spine tingling to be so close to all this racket . I hear a difference between the 2 . Change sounds to a female howl . And all is same . Loud and right there bark bark bark short howl . I stop the call and they continue . I have lost a lot of light and am gonna pull out . I walk 25 yrds to my call and still at it . Untill I yell at them . I see how coyote hunting is both frustrating and addicting . Was an experience . So close yet so far .

Livewire322
02-04-2012, 11:59 PM
12 gauge for those close encounters... buy yourself a mojo critter.

knighthunter
02-05-2012, 10:29 AM
You sure it was coyotes?

Str8shooterbc
02-05-2012, 11:24 AM
You have just had the classic Yote coming to a call. Usually 2 of them.

Either you made a mistake by moving or these Yotes have been called and shot at before. Are you using a face cover of Camo paint?? Very necessary. Leave the area alone for two weeks and then try it again. Watch the wind. Coyotes are smart critters. Try using a different call this time and don't over call. Once you see them stop calling or use a squeaker, but over calling will have them either sneaking away or sitting where you can't see them.

lone wolf
02-05-2012, 11:40 AM
I am all camo Face hands and such . The wind was in my favor . And they deffinitely were coyotes . Good learning experience thanx for the tips .

Str8shooterbc
02-05-2012, 11:52 AM
If you can carry it a light como coloured chair and shooting sticks that swivel work wonders for you getting comfortable and so you will be able to sit a lot longer. Sometimes, if you wait long enough and be real easy on the calls you will have a cat come in, Lynx, Bob or even a Cougar. But you really have to have patience for that. One thing that used to work really well, and probably still does, is the user Raven sound but sparingly. Cats used to come into that sound but it takes a long time.

Hope that helps. Predator hunting can be a real blast.