PDA

View Full Version : Deer Roast recipies ?

steelballs
02-03-2012, 09:23 PM
whats your ideas on cooking a nice deer roast any different than a beef roast?

The Dawg
02-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Slow cooker with some dried onion soup mix. Cook from frozen.

keoke
02-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Marinade in Red wine, chopped onion, garlic and what ever spices you want for 24 hr. Take roast out rinse off then brown the outside on the bbq on high searing heat. Remove from bbq and place in slowcooker. Stain out marinade and add to slow cooker. 3hrs it should be done. Pull the roast out and let it rest for 10 min before cutting it, helps keep the juices in the meat. use the marinade as gravy sauce

blackwater moose
02-03-2012, 09:58 PM

x2 on the onion soup mix, but insert 4-5 garlic cloves into the roast. yum-yum

wos
02-03-2012, 11:08 PM
bbq deer roast. MMMMMM

cavebear
02-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Butterfly roast lay slices of jalapeno havardi on the inside with garlic powder or crushed. Roll back up and tie closed with bacon season with salt and pepper, brown in cast iron and slide into the oven at 350 cook untill cheese starts to drip out. Let it rest and enjoy.

Happy Hunting :)

Beaufortranger
02-04-2012, 12:47 AM
Always cook to rare as it dries out upon resting which is so important. Venison is so lean you need to add some lubrication sometimesacing the exterior of the roast witj bacon or olive oil really helps.

hunter1947
02-04-2012, 02:16 AM
Two cups of Demerara sugar ,have cup olive oil ,5 garlic cloves ,1/2 cup red wine ,1/2 cup soya sauce ,pepper ,salt let brine for 8 hours ,this is my brine then to add on top ,bacon ,onions two cups water put in oven to cook...

SimilkameenSlayer
02-04-2012, 05:48 AM

x3 what dawg says ....

Good Old Outdoors
02-04-2012, 06:07 AM
They all sound so good! Making me drool just thinking about it!
NOM NOM NOM!

tomahawk
02-04-2012, 06:24 AM
whats your ideas on cooking a nice deer roast any different than a beef roast?

To your question, NO their is no difference to cooking deer to a beef roast. If you like your beef tender and juicy at med rare cook the deer the same. From that info you then can add your favourite rubs, marinades, spices, soup packages or whatever. Good cuts of roasts like rib and sirloin etc dont belong in a slow cooker but the chucks, shoulders etc are great done in them.

longstonec
02-04-2012, 06:52 AM
I cook at a far higher temp and far faster.Ie 450+ and only 13-15 minutes. Coarse ground black pepper, course sea salt(lots of both). 1/4 tbs /lb Of meat. More if you want it spicier. I like to make yam fries or smashed yams and sauté some beet greens with onion, bacon/procuto and apple cider vinigar.

Oh yeah. And lots of butter.

5 spike
02-04-2012, 07:45 AM

yes thats what i do too and it taste great all the time.

realneil
02-04-2012, 09:20 AM
I blast em on the bbq medium rare, let them rest with some extra virgin olive oil, diced garlic and dried rosemary. Slice really thin and stir in the olive oil. Pretty tasty.

green machine
02-04-2012, 09:23 AM
slow cooker for 6-8hrs on low with some garlic. if its on the bbq i wrap it completley with bacon and roatiserie untill medium rare.

steelballs
02-04-2012, 11:08 AM
the bbq roatiserie sounds good and slow cooked in onion soup has to be tried thanks to all what about slow smoking like pork shoulder?

steelballs
02-04-2012, 11:09 AM
thanks tom

Bow Walker
02-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I agree with Tomahawk. Deer, Elk, Moose..........any of those should be treated like a beef roast......and, never, never cook them past medium rare!

Calamity
02-04-2012, 02:50 PM
The one thing I always do with a venison roast that's different from cooking a beef roast is I add a couple cups of water in the bottom of the roaster before I put the roaster pan in the oven. It helps keep the roast from drying out. Besides that usually rub with crushed garlic and fresh ground black pepper after searing the roast in olive oil.

I've managed to convert some rather adamant anti-wild meat eaters with those roasts. :)

bigslim
02-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Butcher my own game, sometimes will put garlic in the roasts(rolled and tied) Always start with roast mostly frozen, sprinkle on seasoning salt. Don't use to much spice I like the taste of the meat. I use (don't laugh) the Ron Popeil set it and forget it rotisserie oven. Always cook rare the way I like it, plus leftovers sliced on the meat slicer for sandwiches or venison dip.

swampthing
02-05-2012, 09:53 AM
I am puttin one in the smoker this afternoon. I will put crushed garlic, a bit of bacon grease and bbq sauce on it. Cant wait.

IronNoggin
02-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Good cuts of roasts like rib and sirloin etc dont belong in a slow cooker but the chucks, shoulders etc are great done in them.

In my case, chucks, shoulders and the like have a date with a little piggy, a few spices, and hog casings! :twisted:

TH and the others touched on the most important thing: Think RARE! Once you have your mind wrapped around that one, the sky is very much the limit!!

Cheers,
Nog

tomahawk
02-05-2012, 11:15 PM
In my case, chucks, shoulders and the like have a date with a little piggy, a few spices, and hog casings! :twisted:

TH and the others touched on the most important thing: Think RARE! Once you have your mind wrapped around that one, the sky is very much the limit!!

Cheers,
Nog

And some of mine does also, love italians and brats and garlic sausage!

bosch
03-26-2012, 12:01 PM
try using roasting bags, they hold in the flavour and the meat stays tender, never dries out

03-26-2012, 12:13 PM
To add to the slow cooker and onion soup thing,,,, add a cup or so of red wine...... mmmmmm er ist

But if its a good roast, one that you expect to de tender...... Thaw fully
Stuff it with garlic by stabbing holes in it and put a thin slice of garlic in the hole,,,, all over.
Rubb it with rosemarry, and corse salt. Stick it in a Zip lock and leave it over night.

Slice some onions and place it on the bottom of the pan place the roast on top of the slices.
roll up bacon slices into a roll and stick them with a tooth pick and stick 2-3 of them on top of the roast for an "auto baster"

This is where it gets trickey,,,,,,
cook the roast untill you think you are 30-40 min from done.
mix in a bowl. 2 cups flour,2 cups milk, 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons salt.
pour a 1/8 cup oil into bottom of the pan.
crank oven to 450. let it get to temprature.
stick roast on rack in pan raising the roast 3-4" from bottom of pan.
when temp is up stick roast in oven untill you can hear the oil spiting.
pour in mix. Close door and turn on potatoes to boil for mashed potatoes.....
Do not peek, when potatoes are done pull out roast.

Timing is key to not over cook roast,,, med- rare to med is best.

roast and yourkies,,,, and not them stupid puffie ones either,,,,,, this is the real deal...

dblung
04-30-2012, 08:33 PM
I've tried ALOT of different deer roast recipes and this is one I always come back to. Very easy with maybe 15-20 minute prep time needed. Make sure meat is thawed. I made it again on the weekend with a moose roast. WOW! Make it for someone who has never tried game before or has never had
"properly " prepared game before. If they don't like kick'em out, they are idiots!

1 - 3-3.5 pound deer(or moose) roast
1 - large onion, sliced
1 - Tbsp soy sauce (low sodium)
1 - Tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 - Tbsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 (10.75 ounces or small) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
2 potatoes (cubed)
2 carrots
2 celery stalks
1 1/2 cups water
red wine (optional)

1. Put meat in slow cooker and cover with onion. Add water. Sprinkle with soy sauce,worcestershire sauce, garlic and pepper.
2. In a bowl combine soup mix and soup: mix together and pour over roast. Add veggies. Cook on low setting of crock pot for 6 hours

BigBanger
10-28-2012, 04:27 PM
We are trying this recipe tonight, looking forward to it. I'll let you know what we think.:-D

hawkdog
11-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Most of the time I use the slow cooker.
1 cup water
roast
montreal steak spice - sprinkle on top or rub depending on how much of the flavor you want
6 hours on low
about the 4 hour mark throw in diced carrots potatoes/yams

If cooking in the oven I like to sear in the frying pan first, this keeps the moisture in

Ubertuber
11-17-2012, 05:49 PM
I prefer an actual roast over pot roast. Start with a good cut in a hot oven, don't over cook it, let it rest = yum. A "Look bag" is a good idea.
Like tomahwak says, a crappy cut should go in a slow cooker if that's what you like. Cook the shit out of anything and it will be tender.

hawk-i
11-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Rub outside of roast with chopped garlic and olive oil, spice up with Italiano spice, dried rosemary, garlic salt, and crushed chilli peppers and brown in oil on stove top at high heat. Place on rack in a roaster with water in the bottom and cook in oven at about 375 until 140 degrees... remove from oven and rest covered with tinfoil. make gravy with the dripping and serve with mashed potatoes and what ever veggy you like. Its really hard to beat the natural flavour of a well looked after deer roast.
A smoked deer roast is also great!

homer76
12-03-2012, 03:42 PM
My last deer roast I did like a pot roast. Put in slow cooker with a can of tomato sauce, equal amount of salsa, and a good amount of chipotle tabasco sauce (I like spicy food). I added cubed potato and chopped carrots. I kept the slow cooker on high for 4 hours. The meat was very tender and the tomato sauce went very well with it.

Glenny
12-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Some good receeps here.

luckofthedraw
02-12-2016, 02:30 PM
To add to the slow cooker and onion soup thing,,,, add a cup or so of red wine...... mmmmmm er ist

But if its a good roast, one that you expect to de tender...... Thaw fully
Stuff it with garlic by stabbing holes in it and put a thin slice of garlic in the hole,,,, all over.
Rubb it with rosemarry, and corse salt. Stick it in a Zip lock and leave it over night.

Slice some onions and place it on the bottom of the pan place the roast on top of the slices.
roll up bacon slices into a roll and stick them with a tooth pick and stick 2-3 of them on top of the roast for an "auto baster"

This is where it gets trickey,,,,,,
cook the roast untill you think you are 30-40 min from done.
mix in a bowl. 2 cups flour,2 cups milk, 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons salt.
pour a 1/8 cup oil into bottom of the pan.
crank oven to 450. let it get to temprature.
stick roast on rack in pan raising the roast 3-4" from bottom of pan.
when temp is up stick roast in oven untill you can hear the oil spiting.
pour in mix. Close door and turn on potatoes to boil for mashed potatoes.....
Do not peek, when potatoes are done pull out roast.

Timing is key to not over cook roast,,, med- rare to med is best.

roast and yourkies,,,, and not them stupid puffie ones either,,,,,, this is the real deal...

Roast is thawing now. Never made yourkies before either ;)

OOBuck
02-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Always cook to rare as it dries out upon resting which is so important. Venison is so lean you need to add some lubrication sometimesacing the exterior of the roast witj bacon or olive oil really helps.

What are you planning on doing to this roast?? LOL Lubricating!!!

OOBuck
02-12-2016, 02:42 PM
I use a slow cooker, 1 liter of beef broth, one can of cream of mushroom soup & 1-2 packs of dried union soup mix.. nothing better!!

02-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Roast is thawing now. Never made yourkies before either ;)

lol its been 3 years and i still do it like that! lol

rocksteady
02-12-2016, 03:26 PM
STOP... You guys are making me drool (more than normal)

some me of the recipes sound awesome

mcmullmar
02-12-2016, 03:30 PM
Salt and pepper, cover with garlic butter, cover with bacon, cook @ 375 F until cooked to your liking

RackStar
02-12-2016, 04:13 PM
Find a home made pulled pork recipe, slow cooker, pulled venison sandwiches!!! Mmmmmmm.
I did a deer roast like that a few weeks ago. It was to die for

02-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Make rub...

White sugar
Brown Sugar
Paprika ( lots )
mustard powder
Pepper
salt
Oregano
Sage

rub the roast over with ball park mustard smear rub all over it. Stuff in smoker .....
smoke for 5 hrs cook for a total of 8
Stuff in fridge till tomorrow am....
place roast in slow cooker
with one big onion and a bunch of cloves of garlic
letter rip till dinner

saute
mushrooms and onions in som butter

take a crusty bun and toast it in the oven on broil
glaze it with BBQ Sauce ,,, Cattle boys is best
Crank down som shredded old cheddar on the other side
stuffit back into the oven to caramelize the BBQ sauce and melt cheese

stuff roast goodness on bun goodness and top with onion goodness....

She's a 2 day project but damned, it goes well with Lucky

Glenny
02-12-2016, 05:08 PM

Only 4 or five GCs. What a light weight. :razz:

Glenny
02-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Make rub...

White sugar
Brown Sugar
Paprika ( lots )
mustard powder
Pepper
salt
Oregano
Sage

rub the roast over with ball park mustard smear rub all over it. Stuff in smoker .....
smoke for 5 hrs cook for a total of 8
Stuff in fridge till tomorrow am....
place roast in slow cooker
with one big onion and a bunch of cloves of garlic
letter rip till dinner

saute
mushrooms and onions in som butter

take a crusty bun and toast it in the oven on broil
glaze it with BBQ Sauce ,,, Cattle boys is best
Crank down som shredded old cheddar on the other side
stuffit back into the oven to caramelize the BBQ sauce and melt cheese

stuff roast goodness on bun goodness and top with onion goodness....

She's a 2 day project but damned, it goes well with Lucky

Just had a foodgasm. Much goodyness here. Sure to be.

FortBoy
02-15-2016, 12:55 PM
Wrapped in bacon, Stuffed with feta and garlic, in the smoker it goes, 3.5 hours, smoke all the way. tasty!!!

Tifferly
01-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Ok, so I was a little hesitant about the whole 'high temp, then shut off' method for wild game that doesn't have added fat, but we did a beef prime rib at Christmas, and I just HAD to try something similar on our deer. Why not?!

*Buck hung 1.5 weeks at 4 degrees, then butchered at home and sealed with Food Saver vacuum sealer.

Deer Tip Roast

1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp dried oregano or Italian Seasoning
1 tsp ground chili powder
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided

Place the oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 250°.
Combine all spices and seasonings together in a small bowl.
Rub the roast all over with a Tbsp of oil before rubbing in the spice mixture.
Heat the remaining oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the roast and sear until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per side.
Transfer the roast to a wire rack set inside a roasting pan.
Cook for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the meat reaches 115° on a meat thermometer.
Turn the oven off, leaving the roast in the oven for another 40 minutes, or until the roast reaches an internal temperature of 130° for medium-rare or 140° for medium.
Remove the roast from the oven to a carving board, and cover loosely with aluminum foil and allow to rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.
Slice the meat to desired thickness and serve.

Won't lie - This is a beef roast recipe, that I modified slightly. I found that after the times/temps shown, it still needed a touch more time in the oven. It still turned out to be one of the most tender, moist, delicious roasts we've had in a long time. Almost unbelievable that it was simply the deer sirloin tip, and not a fatty cut like beef prime rib.

http://i.imgur.com/iAEhUH5.jpg

And here's some roast slices fired up for late lunch! Sheesh, this 'new years dieting' is so hard ;) Keto is the best thing ever:

http://i.imgur.com/c39zOp1.jpg

walnutz
01-09-2017, 10:47 PM
Looks amazing. Im going to try this method. Roughly what weight was that roast? 3-4lbs?

Tifferly
01-09-2017, 10:56 PM
This roast was about 3lbs. I think, if you have a good meat thermometer and use the temps, it should still make a tasty roast. Let us know how yours turns out! :)

Piperdown
01-10-2017, 07:45 AM
Wow that looks amazing, I think i will have to try cooking one that way to change things up a little, thanks for posting.

SMOLT333
01-10-2017, 09:17 AM
I did a slow cooker venison one with apples cut up on top , one cup of beef broth, some garlic and added some carrots. cooked all day on low. Just google cooking a venison roast. Enjoy.