PDA

View Full Version : Smoked Venison Polish / Garlic Coils

IronNoggin
02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Been thinking about trying a run of Polish type Garlic Coils for 3 years now, but didn't have the guts to potentially ruin a whack of good meat. Last couple of weeks, I've been investigating a lot of recipes, toying again with this same idea. Yesterday my Partner suggested we should try it if I wanted to that much. So, off I went out to Hertel's Meats, to have a lengthy chat with their Main Man in this regard. He had a lot of sound advice, and between the two of us we came up with a recipe to try.

Rather fussy recipe, and tricky to shoot (STICKY to the Extreme!), but we persevered, and ran the links off in about an hour (usually takes us less than half that for a similar 20lb batch). Partner wandered off as I heated up the smoker, at ~ 10:00pm! By 11:00, the smoker was sufficiently preheated, so in they went. Took until almost 6:00am (loooong night) for them to finish to my specifications, then into the cold water bath, and hung for "blooming". Up at 11:30 am to the most wonderful smelling house! Couldn't help myself, so cut a nibble to drown with the morning's coffee...

In a word: BRILLIANT! Haven't had anything from the butcher I've liked quite so much, so thought I'd share...

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa386/IronNoggin/VenisonPolishGarlicCoils.jpg

Smoked Venison Polish Garlic Sausage Recipe

10 lbs. lean elk or venison
10 lbs. fatty pork hind

6 cups Ice Water
2 cups Skim Milk Powder
6 tbsp. Salt
4 tbsp. Demerra Sugar
4.5 level tsp. Prague Powder No. 1
4 tbsp. Ground Black Pepper
5 tblsp. Minced Garlic
3 tblsp. Granulated Garlic
4 heaping tsp. Marjoram
3 tblsp. Paprika
4 tblsp. Parsley Flakes
1 5" x 6" bag Mustard Seed (smaller bulk replacement bag)

Chill all meat and grind through 1/4” or 3/16” grinder plate.
Mix all spices with water well and let sit.
Place all meat into tub and mix well adding mustard seed.
Mix spice/water combination well again, and pour over meat.
Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
Run through stuffer and use 35-38mm hog casings for stuffing.
Let sausage dry at room temperature for about an hour after stuffing.
Move to smokehouse preheated to 120 degrees F. and leave dampers wide open.
Sausage will dry more for about another hour or so.
After this period, gradually adjust smoker to 160-170 degrees F. with dampers open.
Allow product to smoke until the internal temperature reaches 152 degrees F. (CRITICAL!!)
Remove from Smoker, and immediately drown in Ice Water bath to cool completely through.
Hang at room temperature for several hours to "bloom".

The mix is very sticky as noted, so a large bowl of ice water right handy helps with keeping your hands free of stickiness and feeding through the machine.
We tied them off in about 20" lengths, can be almost any reasonable length.

This product will last more than a few days in the fridge. I will be keeping one out for instant consumption, and vacuum sealing / freezing the balance for future reference.

Turned out Better Than Expected!
Don't think I've ever bought any quite this Good! http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/BEERCHUG.gif
If you're into Polish Garlic Coils, give this one a try! I am certain you won't be disappointed!!

Bon Appetite!!

Cheers,
Nog

Fishgutz
02-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Sounds awsome! I'm so going to try is with some bear meat this spring.

Geo.338
02-03-2012, 04:58 PM
It looks top notch and professional .I bet it tastes as good as it looks!

tomahawk
02-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks for sharin Nog, looks and sounds good, will give it a try!

Bow Walker
02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
I'll bet that future clients that book fishing trips are in for a bit of a treat! Great looking stuff Nog.

IronNoggin
01-28-2013, 01:50 PM
2013 Update:

We've come a fair ways since we started out with this recipe. Now up to 50 coils (about a pound a coil) at a shot!

We kept the original recipe basically intact, but did add the following:
- 4 tblspn Onion Powder
- 2 tblspn Dry Mustard
The onion addition is subtle, and the mustard gives it just a little more Tang.

This is what I wake up to every second or third morning of late:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Garlic_Coil_Meat.jpg

aYup, that would be three bags of venison and three bags of pork grind nearly thawed out... IN THE BATH-TUB! LOL!
Good thing we have a spare in the Dungeon! Methinks The Missuz might kibosh the whole idea were that to greet her morning shower in HER bathroom!!

A few hours of effort later, Fifty coils hanging to dry before hitting the smoker:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Garlic_50_Coils.jpg

And just after they darken a little and are dry to the touch, into the Big Box:

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Garlic_Coils_Smoke.jpg

Another batch just winding it's way towards the finish line now. Absolutely DEADLY again this year! One more run of these, then onto some different Experiments In Terror!! http://fishbcforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/lmao.gif

Certainly keeping The Hacienda smelling downright Wonderful again!!

Cheers,
Nog

Jager
01-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Hey 'Noggin
where are you sourcing your Prague powder?

IronNoggin
01-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Hey 'Noggin

Hertel's - right here in Port. They have provided a LOT of advise over the years, all of it GOOD! And their prices (when you know the right questions to ask..) are most Excellent! :wink:

Proven to be a very valuable resource for us here!

Cheers,
Nog

lorneparker1
01-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Hey 'Noggin

Almost any butcher worth his weight has it. OUr local butcher block has it. Or you can order it right from stuffers.

Lorne

lorneparker1
01-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Btw they look great matt!! Think ill do some of these up with ducks this weekend. How long does it usually take you to get them to the IT?

If i wasnt banned on the Sportfishing site i woulda asked the questions there! lol

Lorne

IronNoggin
01-29-2013, 10:57 AM
Btw they look great matt!! Think ill do some of these up with ducks this weekend. How long does it usually take you to get them to the IT?

I run them almost 8 hours in the smoker. Two hours no smoke at 120 degrees (dries the skin out just a touch more and seems to take the smoke better when doing this). Bump the heat to ~ 130 for a single pan burn (~ 3 hours) then bump to 140 for 2 hours and finally 155 for the final hour. Just so gets them up to temperature (critical of course) without making the fats go liquid. Pull when internal temperature hits 152 or slightly better.

Hope that helps. Take some pix when you do it. never thought of trying ducks before, and am wondering how they might turn out...

If i wasnt banned on the Sportfishing site i woulda asked the questions there! lol

BAD Lad :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

IronNoggin
01-29-2013, 03:45 PM
http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Garlic_Coils_Done_2.jpg

Latest run of fifty now Bloomed, Cooled and ready for sealing. Tested of course, and Man-O-Man do those pigs EVER make Wonderful Sausage when combined with the deer! :-D

With apologies to all the neighbors within a five block radius that have been putting up with all those Wonderful Smells coming from the smoker of late! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog

Bc Deer Hunter
01-29-2013, 03:51 PM
Looks great thanks for sharing nog!!