PDA

View Full Version : Target, sight pin, peep sight with glasses... Yikes !

ydouask
02-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Well Bow Walker there seem to be some common issues here regarding Archery and glasses. I've bow hunted off and on for thirty or so years and gone from pins to instinctive, to multi pin, and now back to a single pin with peep sight. Usually no problems, but...

One day, at thirty yds., I took a shot at my target and missed by several feet LEFT ! Elevation was fine, but horizontal was way out. I looked at my pins, peep, whisker biscuit etc. All appeared to be in order, so I lined up and shot again. This time I closed my left eye... bingo, bullseye!

So what had happened? The only thig I can think of is that my right eye( dominant) didn't " like" the view through the partially obstructed peep and my brain switched to Left Eye image. Does this make any sense? :confused:

I've always shot with both eyes open, I'm now thinking I'd better be closing my left eye if I want to hit what I think I'm aiming at.

Gumsehwah
02-03-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm having a similar problem.

Bow Walker
02-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Makes perfect sense.

Silly question, but are you sure that you're right-eye dominant? Have you done the thumb-at-arms-length thingy to check?

ydouask
02-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Yes , definitely right eye dominant. This was not an accidental release or any equipment malfunction. The only thing a little different is that my peep sight has my string spilt three ways and occasionally the peep is not a clean circle and therefore not always real easy to see through.

Bow Walker
02-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Ahhh, I tried one of those peeps - wanted to lose the rubber tube that kept the peep square - just couldn't get used to the string showing up in the peep aperture. They say that the string is hardly noticeable but I just couldn't get past it being there and went back to the tubing - at least on my hunting bow.

Maybe that's part of the problem?

Blockcaver
02-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Using glasses with HD mono-vision lenses for shooting the bow, rifle, shotgun, hunting, hiking, etc has proven to be the best solution for me. I do not shoot bow with my progressives on as the point-of-impact moves versus mono-vision (distance) corrected lenses and does not seem as repeatable. The sights are a bit blurry with the distance correctgon but if you focus on the crisp view of the target you still achieve a fine degree of accuracy. I don't even take progressives on a backpack trip, but am lucky that I can see adequately up close to read labels, cook, etc without glasses.

E.B.
02-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Get rid of the peep and pin and mount a red dot on your riser just left of center.