PDA

View Full Version : ice fishing for kokanee

19calvin
02-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Hi,
I have been fishing forever, being older than dirt. But Kokanee have me stumped.
I have had very sporadic success.
I fish in Dutch lake , Clearwater, BC but have also fished in sulphurous, Deka, Bridge with mixed success.
I am talking ice fishing as I target trout in open water season, as a fly fisherman.
First of all can anyone tell me of a good book on koke ice fishing? I haven't found one yet.
What about your flasher, I have been using the Deka lake flasher with the glow hook that comes with it. I think the glow hook is too big but what do I know.
Fish it about sixteen inches below flasher with any where from one to five maggots.
I will get nothing but small ones while another guy five feet away will be pulling in big ones.
Don't get me wrong I have had some good days but mostly frustration.
I think they are hard to catch through the ice.
Any help or advice you can give will be much appreciated.
ReplyQuote

REMINGTON JIM
02-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Your doing it right - i have being out on Bridge and caught nothing- my buddy 10 ft away gets his 5 - both using the exact same riggin ! Figure that out ! lots of LUCK in fishing !

wrenchhead
02-03-2012, 01:14 PM
usually right in the middle of the lake they like it. iv always got them with a pink glow hook tipped with a pink magot. as well as a flasher above to bring em in.

eastkoot
02-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Fished Lac LaHache lots years back and if your "next door buddy" is catching them, get right beside him and make a hole quick. No one seemed to mind this behavior when I was there BTW as we all did it.. Kokanee seem to travel in schools and if you are where the schools are, you will catch them as fast as you can pull them up and get that hook and bait back down till they move to another spot..And yes, glow hook and maggot with flasher above..

MIL720
02-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Your using the right riggin...Remember to jig lightly every 2-5 seconds... Kokanee seem to like continuous movement...