PDA

View Full Version : Bifocal or progressive lenses ????

ydouask
02-02-2012, 08:12 PM
I've worn glasses for about fifty years... a necessary curse I've never really enjoyed and that goes double for hard sweaty work and winter cold and rain, and..

Anyway some ten or so years ago my perscription changed from just distance to distance and close work( just beyond arm's length). Progressive lenses were recommended... modern technoligical advance, eh? Well, I've always thought they were the shits.

Now I'm ready for a new pair of glasses. Does anyone know whether BIFOCALS would be better for RIFLE SCOPE use than PROGRESSIVE LENSES? Help !:confused::confused::confused:

Hank Hunter
02-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Never used bifocals. I wear progressive lens and never had a problem with scopes

35 Whelen
02-02-2012, 08:26 PM
I hated progressives. Tried them twice. The second time the Dr said if I didn't like these new fandangled ones, he would buy them back....he bought them back. As for whether or not they will work well with a scope?? I would take a scope into the Dr office and try some lens's and ask the Dr the best way to go. When I am shooting I take my glasses off. I really only need them for close up anyways. Not sure if that helped, hope so.
'

Lionhill
02-02-2012, 08:27 PM
I have progressive lenses and they're OK for use with a scope. For me, I found my usually shooting position/cheek weld, and focused the diopter of the scope until it was sharp. Worked for me this way.

The advantages of progressive are great. The detail I can see up close is quite amazing.

LH

olharley guy
02-02-2012, 09:11 PM
I have progressive lenses and they're OK for use with a scope. For me, I found my usually shooting position/cheek weld, and focused the diopter of the scope until it was sharp. Worked for me this way.

The advantages of progressive are great. The detail I can see up close is quite amazing.

LH

Howdy, this is very true. Takes a short while to get used to them but then they are pretty good but not as good as when you were young and didn't need anything at all. LOL You sort of have to turn your head a little not just move the eyeballs for the best vision and if they are first time it is weird going down stairs. later

Vader
02-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Tried progressives... took them back.. tried bifocals.. rarely wore them.. went back to progressives but bought HD lenses.. 1k was my last set without frames. 1/10 the weight and 5X clarity. You get what you pay for.. just like binoculars.. As stated it takes a bit to get used to. After a week or so it becomes natural to move your head to see rather than your eyeballs. I have zero trouble with the scope.. I do have problems with my peep on the bow.. Slight prescription change might of fixed the problem. If not, Clarifier time.

Big Lew
02-02-2012, 09:49 PM
If it's possible bring in your scope (have someone at home measure distances from your eye to the scope while you're actually aiming your gun) and have the optometrist work with you to mark your vision line on your glasses (a level line from eye to scope) so that he can have the lens ground to accommodate that line. He can then tell you which type are best for your situation. I did this with my bow, measuring the distance to my bow sights when I was fully drawn back and ready to shoot, and then having the optometrist mark my glasses where a straight line between my pupil and bow sight intersected. For my eye situation, my vision became out of focus beginning at 12" and out. I tried progressive, but as a commercial driver, my cab gauges were out of focus, as well my peripheral vision, I switched to bi-focals, with just the lower inside of the lens ground for 12" and closer.

porcupine
02-02-2012, 10:20 PM
I wear and shoot with progressives all the time. You should have no problem at all with a scoped gun.

02-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Progressives work well for most shooters, but some guys prefer a low-set bifocal. If you get progressives, make sure you buy a premium lens (Nikon or Rodenstock are my favorite). The optical quality difference between low-end and premium progressives is huge.

BTW I'm an optometrist.

nap
02-02-2012, 11:20 PM
I have worn glasses since I was 14 or 15, now 49 so I know what it is like to hate glasses. I have never worn bi focals so I can't give an opionion about them. I started wearing progressive about 4 years back and love them. Now if you dare check out progressive contacts. With patience an a bit of will power in getting them in they are great. Look far and you can see, pick up a phone book and find a number, looking through a scope wow!!! Change sunglasses as conditions change, the list goes on and on. I buy mine at costco and they have made the great outdors even better than ever. I can't wear them every where butwhen I can I do. Check them out.

knighthunter
02-02-2012, 11:29 PM
I wear and shoot with progressives all the time. You should have no problem at all with a scoped gun.

I used to wear bifocals for about 10 years but I'm sure glad I switched. No comparison. I've been wearing progressives for 4 years now. It took me about a month to get used to them.

Bow Walker
02-03-2012, 12:04 PM
As soon as I put the bi-focals on I knew they weren't for me. Got a huge feeling of vertigo and dizziness from the sharp delineating line between the two powers of focus.

I've been wearing progressives for over 20 years and have never had a problem with my scoped guns - trying to get both the target and the pin(s) of my bow sight in focus....well, that's a different can of worms.

Brez
02-03-2012, 12:30 PM
I wear progressives. Just got the HD2 (more money) which allow you to use more of the lens without distortion. I ahd no problem getting used to them - Love 'em. When/if you get them, tell the technician or fitter what you want them for and what part of the lens you'll be using most, There are a few different lens configurations. That is, different amounts of the lens for each prescription. Good luck.

ydouask
02-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Thanks all of you responders. Guess I'll stay with the progressives with some different configurations as suggested by Brez and others.

Bow Walker
02-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Make sure you go to a good optometrist to get measured for where the focal points change on your progressives. Both my wife and I had a bad experience the last time we got "fitted" for new glasses.

The person who put the dots on the glasses was a rookie and we ended up with glasses that just didn't seem to fit quite right. It's critical that the transition points be accurate when they make your lenses.

quadrakid
02-03-2012, 07:11 PM
I,ve had progressives for a number of years. Don,t be afraid to go back to your optometrist if you don,t seem to be adjusting to them. They don,t always get them right the first time. Get them to do some fine tuning till they work properly.

hunter1947
02-04-2012, 02:22 AM
Bifocals for me I tried progressive and was hard to focus on things I had to move my head up or down to get a clear view yes I stay with my bifocals now..

frase
02-04-2012, 09:38 AM
I have real bad eyes (endured 3 laser treatments and finally occular implants) and still need glasses for both distance and reading. HD progresssive is the way to go; however, I can spot game a little easier with just a cheap pair of glasses with plastic lenses and without the bifocal or progressive component. Of course I need to carry my progressive glasses with me in order to read my gps or clip my tag!. I also play racquet sports and the non progressive or bifocal are required for this as well. Another option would be to purchase just regular glasses and pack around a cheap pair of readers.

Elkhound
02-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Progressives work well for most shooters, but some guys prefer a low-set bifocal. If you get progressives, make sure you buy a premium lens (Nikon or Rodenstock are my favorite). The optical quality difference between low-end and premium progressives is huge.

BTW I'm an optometrist.

As an optician I agree with 325....Digitally surfaced/wavefront lenses are more expensive but worth the difference. Go progressives.

Waynewjw
02-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Progressives - I told my opto that I like to shoot, both rifle and pistol. I told him I want to see my sights at arms length and also see the target at 100 yds. So with some mucking about and trying different lenses, he came up with what I've been wearing for the past 4 years. Agree with some of the other guys, take's getting used to, get the opto to show you how to look through the lenses and once you got that down, they work great.

roymil
02-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Progressive really sucked for me when shooting a bow, tried them twice,now use trifocals.