PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear Question.

Mr. Dean
10-12-2006, 11:54 PM
What are the chances of a WHOPPER of a bear (little tiny 'button' ears - Had a GOOD look at him from 20 yrds.), feeding in a clearing last Sunday, being there again, this Sunday?

This little clearing is at about 3200 ft and I discovered him while I was out cruising/scouting the grounds I'm going to pound for ten days starting this Saturday. I'm just curious as to whether he may be just passing through or if this could be a part of his territory.

It's safe to assume that I have NO idea of what’s on a Bears mind this time of year :smile: .

DO YOU?

Steeleco
10-13-2006, 01:16 AM
I know a guy that took a shot at a bear with a black powder rifle and thought he missed. Looked for hours to find proof or the bear, to no avail. 1 week later sitting on the same stump see's a bear in the same spot. This time shoots it with his 280, bang flop, in the process of skinning the bruin out, he finds a 54 cal black powder ball in the fat on the shoulder, the one he shot the week before. Moral of the tale, so long as there's food in the bears spot there's no reason for him to leave!!! Go get him!!!!

Schmaus
10-13-2006, 06:14 AM
I would think they should be only thinking of getting as much fat on them as possible and really soon they should be going into their dens. I don't think I have seen many bears around here around the end of October.

bigwhiteys
10-13-2006, 06:47 AM
This spring I saw one particular bear on three occasions in the same place on three different weekends. It was obvious it was him because he had an injury to his back leg and dragged it very awkwardly.

I say go and check it out - No doubt it's part of his territory he may just be there again.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

dana
10-13-2006, 06:50 AM
This time of year the chances are pretty damn good that that bear ain't going to be very far from where you saw him. They are packin on the last of the winter fat and they don't want to burn it by workin too hard.

Mr. Dean
10-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks Gents!

I'll put my effort into harvesting my Mulie first, then put the search on for the Master of all Bruin's.

One more question.....I spotted this Bear early in the afternoon, just after lunch. Is this typical of when they are feeding?

If so, then I'm thinking Deer in the morning, Bear in the afternoon then Deer again in the evening, with Ditch Chickens in between (?).

I'll be headed off this evening around dinner time but will check in for responses before then - Thanks.

hoochie
10-13-2006, 10:01 AM
last week we saw one suntanning on the side of a logging road at 3 in the afternoon.
we were on louis creek road, just west of the thompson river.
cahilty creeek forest service road off off louis creek road to be exact. He was at the first bend there where you will see a pile of wood. He was right at the bottom of the hill sitting in the grass, but when we spooked him ( after sitting there watching him for 5-10 mins) he ran up a trail headed up the hill toward the clearcuts.
very nice cinnamon color.
I have no interest in shooting a bear, so there is directions to where one lives.
not a sign of deer or anything else there though... so keep that in mind if you head in there. Just the single bear we saw, and nothing else.

GoatGuy
10-13-2006, 10:08 AM
Bears will feed at any time of the day as will deer if you're in the right spot.

Some like a good one to get the predator call out on! :) :)

Mr. Dean
10-13-2006, 05:55 PM
hoochie;

I'll be real close to that area, but I'll likely not make it over there. Thanks for the generous post though! I just prefer to do my own hunting. Nothing personal against you....I'm the same way w/ fishing :smile:

If I were to walk on up to YOUR bear and do him......there would be no surprise factor in the hunt. And I LOVE the rush that I get when I spot MY own game.

It's the same when the rod pops off of the cable. :lol:

So then it's goin to be Deer only, to start things off...........Then Big Bad Bear, unless he gets in the way of my Deer.

Have a great time guy's and gals. See ya when I'm back!

Mr. Dean
11-09-2006, 12:40 PM
Nope, no Bear sightings. I checked that lil clearing every second day of my trip and saw no fresh sign. Never bothered to follow the trail that led out of it to see where it went.....I had Buck Fever and my vision was clouded. :mrgreen:

I am making plans for getting one next spring. Likely combine it with a Hali trip over on the Island.

Now that'll be COOL! :cool: :shock: :cool:

Again I'd like to thank ALL posters for there input.
It WAS appreciated!

Thanks - Dean.