PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing 101

buck nash
02-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Never ice fished before but plan to give it a go when my son and I go camping next weekend.

As the title says I'm looking for the 101 basics of ice fishing.

Also would like to know if I can rent or borrow an auger from anywhere. Cheapest I've seen them is $75 and it's not a tool I'll use often enough to run out and buy one.

Livewire322
02-02-2012, 07:36 PM
if your going by tunkwa just jack someone elses hole! be respectful of course. if its frozen over slightly just hack it open with an axe.

we used a small spoon (really small) with a small hook, we attached a weight about 1.5 feet up the line. use shrimp as bait its a must from my experiences the rainbows at around tunkwa go crazy over shrimp!
keep the rod at your side (should be a short rod) and slowly jig the rod. the shrimp should float the hook, and the weight should keep the line down. if you can imagine it the shrimp should be floating 1.5 feet above the bottom with the weight on the bottom, and you will jig the line up slowly letting it come to a rest for 3-5 seconds then repeat. you will see the trout come up and take the bait, normally will nudge it once or twice then hit it, i will let em' take it for a moment then set the hook. Reel hard and hope he will fit through the hole!

Benthos
02-02-2012, 07:57 PM
if you're fishing for rainbows, you can go as simple as a few split shots for weight, a bait hook and a piece of shrimp. never hurts to bring some worms as well in case the fish are picky. drop it to the bottom, reel up one full turn of your reel to get it a foot off the bottom. fish drop offs and shoals. if you aren't getting any bites in 30-45minutes, pick up and move spots.

Matty_ola
02-02-2012, 08:04 PM
You guys make it sound any easier and every man and his dog are gonna be on the ice taking up valuable real estate and probably my favorite spots.....

Ice fishing is way to complicated for most people and should be avoided unless you want to get frostbite and die a terrible death...

buck nash
02-02-2012, 09:45 PM
It's just that easy eh? Well we'll give it a go and hopefully have some pictures to share when we return.

Matty_ola
02-02-2012, 09:49 PM
It's just that easy eh? Well we'll give it a go and hopefully have some pictures to share when we return.

Great, I may as well stay home then....

JK, Have a blast but be warned, Once you get into it you better have the space to put your new toboggan full of ice fishing gear;)

knighthunter
02-02-2012, 09:53 PM
if you're fishing for rainbows, you can go as simple as a few split shots for weight, a bait hook and a piece of shrimp. never hurts to bring some worms as well in case the fish are picky. drop it to the bottom, reel up one full turn of your reel to get it a foot off the bottom. fish drop offs and shoals. if you aren't getting any bites in 30-45minutes, pick up and move spots.

If the bottom isn't rocky (sand, mud or very short greenery) you can lay your bait right on the bottom and the fish will see it & pick it up. It also helps if the water is not too deep say 6 - 15 feet and clear, if you lay down and throw a parka over your head and look down the hole, you will see the fish take your bait/hook, then you give it a jerk, don't give your line any slack, pulling it up and out the hole.