PDA

View Full Version : Swarovski el range finder binos

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
02-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Well i got look at a pair of these today at Corlanes, they are pretty nice and darn expensive with a 2 year electronics warranty and 10 years on the glass for a meager 2869.00 :shock:

Just so you know the price is not what scares me...it's the lack of warranty:???:

But what i do like is the angle compensation and being compacted:)

Is anyone else thinking about getting a pair or em I the only nut-bar thinking about it?

Hombre
02-02-2012, 03:30 PM
My buddy is eager to get a pair.Leicas are more of a better value right now, low as $1900.00 usd for a demo pair.

Gateholio
02-02-2012, 03:42 PM
I am sure that after 2 years the electronics could be replaced for a fee.

The LRF binoculars from Leica are super cool, wonderful and great. I assume the Swaros are every bit as great.

The one thing that has kept me from buying LRF binos is technology. Optics technology is growing in small increments these days. A good pair of binos you bought 5 years ago still holds up well today against the newer models, and if you care for them, no reason why they won't last another 10-20 or more years. Not so with LRF, which is a fairly new technology. In 5 years we might see LRF binos that are no more bulky, with better electronics. Or handheld LRFs that range to 2000 yards in any weather, reflecting off any surface. Etc etc.

So I just keep waiting...:)

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
02-02-2012, 07:09 PM
My buddy is eager to get a pair.Leicas are more of a better value right now, low as $1900.00 usd for a demo pair.

i have owned a pair of leicas and the were awesome till they got stolen out of my truck...and i have been waiting to replace them with the swaro's you have to like the angle compensation for sheep hunting, and that's the seller... now I'm on the waiting list

wiggy
02-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Guess where waiting for scopes to come out that all you have to do is put the crosshairs on the animal and squeeze and the scope will do the rest. May as well be playing x box. Dont dig any of it. I dont shoot things long range even though i am capable. That is not sporting. Take BEST OF THE WEST; glorifly long range shots on living animals, cool; NOT. To me this is not what i was taught hunting is all about. I dont need a range finder cause if i cannot get close enough i dont squeeze; period. Hunting is not all about killing something its about the experience of nature which is much more then wheather or not you kill something. CAPICE. These tools were made for combat situations and that is where they belong. If you want to really understand this stuff go to Africa and become a mercinary and learn the difference.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
02-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Guess where waiting for scopes to come out that all you have to do is put the crosshairs on the animal and squeeze and the scope will do the rest. May as well be playing x box. Dont dig any of it. I dont shoot things long range even though i am capable. That is not sporting. Take BEST OF THE WEST; glorifly long range shots on living animals, cool; NOT. To me this is not what i was taught hunting is all about. I dont need a range finder cause if i cannot get close enough i dont squeeze; period. Hunting is not all about killing something its about the experience of nature which is much more then wheather or not you kill something. CAPICE. These tools were made for combat situations and that is where they belong. If you want to really understand this stuff go to Africa and become a mercinary and learn the difference.

deer wiggy, if your not down with technology that's fine by me, you can walk and stalk all day long with your sling shot and cave man bat for all i care, but i will stick with technology helping hunters become better shots with bows at 35 yards and rifles at 435 yards ;)

vip_ruger
02-03-2012, 07:30 PM

I agree with u, sheep,elk.... ,if u dont use a range finder u cant tell how far it is and there fore u might make a bad shot resulting in no recovery of your trophy ,them binos are about as good as u can get im thinking ill pick a pair up as well. and i wouldnt have been able to kill my elk or goat this year with out a range finder but having one i made clean kill shots on both at 508 for the elk and 480 on the goat .get with the time wiggy!best of the west is a great show and they put there time in to get to know there equipment before useing it in the field there is nothing wrong with that. I use a set up like that, and a range finder is a must . sheep elk moose guy been to the range since i seen u there last ?

Blockcaver
02-03-2012, 08:34 PM
The Swaro combo unit ranges down to a minimum of 33 yards.........a deal breaker for me as a bowhunter. I shoot a 280 fps bow and still have enough pin gap from 20 to 30 yds that I can't use the 30 yards and forget about it at closer ranges. When the adrenalin is flowing I don't want to have to think too much about whether he is 32 yards or 25 since I can't get a reading from the RF. The all in one unit with angle compensation that ranges to 20 yds would be great, and I suspect the "perfect" unit will be available within a year or two. For now the Leica CRF1200 teamed up with Swaro EL binos are going to suffice.

Gateholio
02-03-2012, 09:22 PM

This thread is abotu binoculars, not rants about personal ethics.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
02-03-2012, 09:30 PM
I agree with u, sheep,elk.... ,if u dont use a range finder u cant tell how far it is and there fore u might make a bad shot resulting in no recovery of your trophy ,them binos are about as good as u can get im thinking ill pick a pair up as well. and i wouldnt have been able to kill my elk or goat this year with out a range finder but having one i made clean kill shots on both at 508 for the elk and 480 on the goat .get with the time wiggy!best of the west is a great show and they put there time in to get to know there equipment before useing it in the field there is nothing wrong with that. I use a set up like that, and a range finder is a must . sheep elk moose guy been to the range since i seen u there last ?

ya i have been a few times VIP...and i would like to thank you again for letting me shoot your sako 85 7mm with the long rang scope ..first shot = 400 yard shot at the gong easy...

wiggy
02-04-2012, 09:08 AM
guess i put my foot in mouth good stuff guys bet those swaros are something too

The Hermit
02-04-2012, 09:18 AM
I sold my Leica Geovids and even though I have better glass now I still kinda miss the integrated range finder... at long distances having to use two devices isn't a big deal but at bow ranges the all in one is hard to beat.

Fisher-Dude
02-04-2012, 11:40 AM
I sold my Leica Geovids and even though I have better glass now I still kinda miss the integrated range finder... at long distances having to use two devices isn't a big deal but at bow ranges the all in one is hard to beat.

I think I just peed myself laughing! :lol:

The Hermit
02-04-2012, 10:24 PM
FD - My binos are head and shoulders above the Geovids... not saying that they are better than the good Leica glass but if you have ever used the Geovid you would know that they aren't up to the Ultravid.

BackPackHunter
04-05-2012, 07:18 PM
If I was a bow hunter, the EL Range wouldn't be for me...
but having everything in one unit will be nice. i cant wait to have mine! hope in the next month or two...
(dam back order!)...

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
04-05-2012, 07:31 PM
just got mine last week ,they are awesome clear and range accurate to 1500 yards.... way better then my old leica.

corlanes in Dawson's has a demo pair for sale and more coming in ...there is a waiting list though.

2chodi
04-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Well i got look at a pair of these today at Corlanes, they are pretty nice and darn expensive with a 2 year electronics warranty and 10 years on the glass for a meager 2869.00 :shock:

Just so you know the price is not what scares me...it's the lack of warranty:???:

I think most rangefinders have only a 2-year warranty at most. I know my Zeiss rangefinder has 2 years. According to the Swarovski website (http://www.swarovskioptik.us/upload/media/media/34/Warranty_SONA%5B762%5D.pdf) the optic system still has a limited lifetime warranty just like the rest of their binos.

Slee
04-05-2012, 07:45 PM
Very Cool. I like the angle comp. that is built in.

pescado
04-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice purchase fanatic. Get the best and only buy once. I want some now but I just bought my Swaro binos last year sans the range finder so I'll have to wait a little while. Enjoy.

Singleshotneeded
04-07-2012, 12:04 AM
All you need is the Bushnell Legend 1200 Arc for ranging, about $280 on Amazon, and at Cabelas USA you can get
the Euro HD binos from Europe that are equivalent to the trendy German names for a grand. That's half the price
of the fancy German binos, and gives you both a reliable rangefinder and world class binoculars. You can put the
difference in your kid's RESP. :-)

BackPackHunter
04-07-2012, 08:19 AM
All you need is the Bushnell Legend 1200 Arc for ranging, about $280 on Amazon, and at Cabelas USA you can get
the Euro HD binos from Europe that are equivalent to the trendy German names for a grand. That's half the price
of the fancy German binos, and gives you both a reliable rangefinder and world class binoculars. You can put the
difference in your kid's RESP. :-)

And a BAJA quad from canadian tire is just as good as the quad in your pic

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
04-07-2012, 08:46 AM
And a BAJA quad from canadian tire is just as good as the quad in your pic

good one lol....like comparing a pinto to a Ferrari

vip_ruger
04-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Glad to hear there finally coming in ive been on the wait list for a month or so but i think im just about to the top of the list now . cant wait to get them it will be much better then carry two peices of euipment around .

srupp
04-07-2012, 11:23 AM
I just worry about the KISS principle.."keep it simple stupid " that the optics most likely will never be an issue..however IF the rangefinding device packs it in you are out of luck while the unit is away..and you usually find that out while using them ie hunting season..

Hmm not a bow hunter..so will stick with Swaro binos..and a seperate Leica rangefinder...

I did see an add for a rifle scope that has a rangefinder in the riflescope and automatically adjusts the aim for the distance...I think one of the guys in town was mentioning he had one on his rifle already...fine till it messes up...sometimes simplicity is beter especially when some of these opportunities are literally once in a lifetime..

Steven

Singleshotneeded
04-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Lol, if the Chinee didn't use pot metal to make bolts their quads might be adequate! However, in this case the Legend 1200 arc
ranges just fine and reliably out past the distances you're going to shoot an animal(mine's worked great for two seasons now),
and if you looked through the Euro HD binos and then through the German ones I highly doubt you'd see a difference. Except,
of course, when you went to pay for them. If you have more money than sense, and no kids to put through university, then
feel free to waste the cash on the high fashion designer name German optics...my post was directed at working folks with kids
that want excellent results for reasonable money. While you're at it take your wife down to Rodeo Drive in LA and let her stock
up on Armani and Gucci, after all it's only money, right? :-) I agree with srupp, rangefinder technology is improving, and minituarizing, for now I'd get separate ranging and bino units.

BackPackHunter
04-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Swarovski optics are made in Austria. not Germany

Having a pair of Binos, that have build in rangefinder is going to be nice, not having to carry two pieces of equipment, very nice
plus less steps

If you can't afford them , ok... but don't knock on me because I can...
It's all about were you want to spend your money...
I don't have a quad... I can't afford one...
But I do have the very best optics in the world !

The Hermit
04-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Swarovski optics are made in Austria. not Germany

Having a pair of Binos, that have build in rangefinder is going to be nice, not having to carry two pieces of equipment, very nice
plus less steps

If you can't afford them , ok... but don't knock on me because I can...
It's all about were you want to spend your money...
I don't have a quad... I can't afford one...
But I do have the very best optics in the world !

Cough... hahahaha!

Singleshotneeded
04-07-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm not knocking you, Backpackhunter, I'm just saying the Euro HD at Cabelas for $1,000 has been reviewed by experts
and is for all intents and purposes as good as the "Big 3" for half the price or less. If you don't have to sacrifice quality
and usefulness and you pay half price, that to me makes sense. Ya got me on the Swaro being from Austria, then again
it was part of Germany from 1938-1945, lol! The Euro HDs are made close by in the Czech Republic, and many people
that have tried them side by side with the big names say they can't discern any difference. I think a lot of folks just don't
know about them and they spend the money on the Big 3, thinking they have to. And I agree with you, BPH, there
certainly isn't any better optics than yours in the world...:-)

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
04-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Lol, if the Chinee didn't use pot metal to make bolts their quads might be adequate! However, in this case the Legend 1200 arc
ranges just fine and reliably out past the distances you're going to shoot an animal(mine's worked great for two seasons now),
and if you looked through the Euro HD binos and then through the German ones I highly doubt you'd see a difference. Except,
of course, when you went to pay for them. If you have more money than sense, and no kids to put through university, then
feel free to waste the cash on the high fashion designer name German optics...my post was directed at working folks with kids
that want excellent results for reasonable money. While you're at it take your wife down to Rodeo Drive in LA and let her stock
up on Armani and Gucci, after all it's only money, right? :-) I agree with srupp, rangefinder technology is improving, and minituarizing, for now I'd get separate ranging and bino units.

well i do not believe i wasted any money....I BELIEVE i made a investment in my hunting future buying the best i could afford:wink:,that being said i had to save for this purchase the same way I'm saving for my kids future:mrgreen:

If you read all the optic threads they all say buy the best you can afford and that's what i did ......sheep.elk.moose fanatic is just a working stiff with 2 kids and one on the way:-D life is good.

Singleshotneeded
04-08-2012, 01:21 AM
There aren't any binos that are better than Swaro/Zeiss/Leica, no argument there...and they will give you years of
excellent service when you're hunting! :-) I won't ever stop encouraging hunters that want the best of optics, however,
to also compare the Euro HD when they're deciding amongst the Big 3. Most people can't discern any difference, and if
you can get the same quality and effectiveness for half the price, I say why not? It's not like a guy is comparing the best
European optics to "pretty darn good" Jap or Yank optics, the Euro HD is made in the Czech Republic. Most likely if the
country hadn't been behind the Iron Curtain for decades, and the company had been given the chance to build it's reputation
in western markets, they would've had a big name as well and their binos would also be very expensive. What you're
buying with the Euro HD is the top quality optics without also having to pay for the well recognized big name...bonus! :-)

David Heitsman
04-08-2012, 08:06 AM
At SCI this year I spent several hours looking and comparing the the Leica, Ziess and Swarov rangefining binos. I don't own any Swarov as I have been a Leupold / Schmidt & Bender fan for years but I have been wanting to integrate the rangefinder and binos. One hunt this fall, I don't remember where, but I needed to range something quickly, didn't want to take my eyes off the object and then realized that I had my rangefinder in the front pocket of my jacket. No problem except that my pack was snapped so that the waste belts were over the pocket and preventing access. Not a big deal, but many times extra seconds lost means no shot and I swore I'd get an integrated pair ASAP.

I realize a convention centre showroom is not optimal testing conditions but each unit had the same disadvantage. There were mounts I could look at 150 yards away that I could see from each companies booth. I felt the Swarov was the better unit. Based on clarity of optics, speed of distance calculation, size and weights and handling ergonomics, that was what I came away with. My basically non-hunting buddy felt the same.

I think they're over-priced but however, as long as they are back ordered with waiting lists... nobody else must feel that way so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
04-08-2012, 09:28 AM
At SCI this year I spent several hours looking and comparing the the Leica, Ziess and Swarov rangefining binos. I don't own any Swarov as I have been a Leupold / Schmidt & Bender fan for years but I have been wanting to integrate the rangefinder and binos. One hunt this fall, I don't remember where, but I needed to range something quickly, didn't want to take my eyes off the object and then realized that I had my rangefinder in the front pocket of my jacket. No problem except that my pack was snapped so that the waste belts were over the pocket and preventing access. Not a big deal, but many times extra seconds lost means no shot and I swore I'd get an integrated pair ASAP.

I realize a convention centre showroom is not optimal testing conditions but each unit had the same disadvantage. There were mounts I could look at 150 yards away that I could see from each companies booth. I felt the Swarov was the better unit. Based on clarity of optics, speed of distance calculation, size and weights and handling ergonomics, that was what I came away with. My basically non-hunting buddy felt the same.

I think they're over-priced but however, as long as they are back ordered with waiting lists... nobody else must feel that way so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet.

over-priced yes but less expensive then zeiss and all around better IMHO

Singleshotneeded
04-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Hey fans of the best optics, I just found out that Meopta of the Czech Republic and their Euro HD at Cabelas has some
competition now for top quality at a reasonable price! The funny thing is it's from one of the Big 3, so that should make
the "big name shoppers" totally happy! :-) Zeiss has recently announced it's new Conquest HD binos, available in 8X42
and 10X42, and they've stated that they're absolutely state of the art! The best part is they're going to go on sale in
the US anyway for just a bit less than a grand!! Woot! Woot! Now there are two top options for binos for hunters that
want the best but don't want to be worked over like the guy in the movie "Deliverance". More proof that the best in the
world does NOT have to cost $2500!!! About Meopta, Kenny Jarrett, the perfectionist US builder of fine custom rifles,
was recently quoted as saying if you can't afford to put a Kahles on my rifles, put a Meopta. Their scopes are also among
the world's very best, and in the US you can order a MeoStar R1 3-10X50 with 30mm tube for about $600!! There's never
been a better time to be a hunter and to be thrifty at the same time... With Meopta and Zeiss prices at down-to-earth levels,
hold off if you just HAVE to have Swaro or Leica, as their prices will probably be dropping soon as well from their rip-off heights! :-)

vip_ruger
04-08-2012, 12:07 PM
theres a big difference between the zeiss conquest and the zeiss victory the conquest dont hold a candle to the high end victory or leica or swarovski

Singleshotneeded
04-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Ah, a bit of marketing hype from Zeiss I guess! So Meopta is still the only company offering the best for a reasonable price!
There you go, I didn't know the product structure at Zeiss, so the Conquest is a mid level line of theirs, and maybe it's state
of the art in MOR high end optics. Meopta's Euro HD from Cabelas is still the only bino that's amongst the world's very best
for half price.

BackPackHunter
04-13-2012, 04:51 PM
There aren't any binos that are better than Swaro/Zeiss/Leica, no argument there...and they will give you years of
excellent service when you're hunting! :-) I won't ever stop encouraging hunters that want the best of optics, however,
to also compare the Euro HD when they're deciding amongst the Big 3. Most people can't discern any difference, and if
you can get the same quality and effectiveness for half the price, I say why not? It's not like a guy is comparing the best
European optics to "pretty darn good" Jap or Yank optics, the Euro HD is made in the Czech Republic. Most likely if the
country hadn't been behind the Iron Curtain for decades, and the company had been given the chance to build it's reputation
in western markets, they would've had a big name as well and their binos would also be very expensive. What you're
buying with the Euro HD is the top quality optics without also having to pay for the well recognized big name...bonus! :-)

OK ... Blah, blah, blah
Your missing the point here.... does the Euro HD have a built in rangefinder? No... If they did I would have a look at them...
I just sold a pair of Swarovski EL 10x42 Swarovision.... better glass the the EL Ranges... but I still had to carry around 2 things, had more steps to go through before I could think of taking a shot...this makes life easier, and they take weight off my back, and frees up room in my pack...

I'm not trying to have a pi$$ing match with you... I just really think your missing the point... but with a quad like that I am sure
room in a pack and weight is not as big of a factor to you as a hard core mountain hunter....
Ask me about anything in my pack ... I can give you an answer of the top of my head of what everything weighs to the gram!
The EL Ranges only weigh 28 grams (1 oz) more then the swarovision I just had...

Im not trying to say there not equal glass at a 1/3 the price... But I will spend the money to take weight off my back or free up room...
and the EL ranges do both...

and better glass = less steps.

If this was a thread about quality glass, I think you have some very good points
and if I can buy a product of equal quality and save money, I do. I don't care what the name is...

Singleshotneeded
04-14-2012, 01:13 AM
Hell yeah Backpackhunter, if you're climbing mountains and going after sheep and goats I agree you have to watch the weight,
and a combo bino and rangefinder is a great idea...I was directing my post at the average hunter that quads or trucks into an
area and then walks a bit to find a good spot to watch a clearcut, so the weight of the two pieces of kit isn't an issue.
Technology is improving, and I hope your ranging binos work well for years, but I still prefer my rangefinder as a separate
piece of equipment, if it stops working I replace it for a bit over $250 and my binos just keep truckin' along...

BackPackHunter
04-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Got the call today.... Your binos are in the mail :) I cant wait,
will have them next week...

Slee
04-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Very cool, you will have to write up a review after you get some time behind them!

BackPackHunter
05-22-2012, 08:13 PM
I have had my EL Ranges (10x42) for a month now.... In one word... wow!
The CD that came with them didn't work in my apple computer, so I had to read the book... they were so easy to set up, took about 30 minutes, and thats with the reading, and trying different settings to see what I like the best...
Compared to my old Leica CRF 1600 rangefinder, this unit ranges 100 times better hands down. I don't have to be 100% stable for a range over 500 yards. This weekend free hand and standing I hit a elk at 857, first try. (Last year deer hunting I had to try about 5 times to get a range on a deer at just over 500 yards.) the closest range I got was 44 yards... but not really trying close ranges.
The optics are 2nd to none, my last binos were 10x42 EL Swarovisions, My eyes can not tell that the glass is not as good as the Swarovisions I sold to buy the new ones.
The longest range i got was on a mtn, with very bad angles for ranging, got over a 1500 yard range on it, but it wouldn't give me an angle comp with it.
oh and the angle comp is so nice, no more math, with ur heart beating in ur throat, I got it set up so it shows real range and your shooting range shows up under that, but theres options for how you want it set up...

Yes the price is steep, but you get what you pay for... i don't think anyone looking for rangefinding binos would be unhappy with the Swarovski...
they are the best out there,

Im very happy with the new binos...