PDA

View Full Version : Moose Rut

jjensen20
10-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Has anyone heard that the moose rut is late this year due to weather and the clear skies. I have a draw in 3-26 which i have been told by many people that it is a given. I have seen many cows/calves nothing with horn though and i have hit a couple areas really hard, I've tried calling, still hunting driving pushing bush you name it and still no bull. I heard an interesting thing today that the moose rut is late this year and i should still be hitting these areas i dont know though im pretty discouraged what do you guys/gals think?

luckynuts
10-12-2006, 11:00 PM
I'd say it's pretty much over until another couple of weeks though I still see a few bulls with cows on the way to work. Good luck with your hunt.

W

Fisher-Dude
10-13-2006, 06:13 AM
I would say it's starting to wind down. The weather shouldn't affect the timing of the rut. It's the number of hours of light in the day that determine the rut. Therefore, it should be at the same time every year so that the calves are born at the right time in the spring. The weather does affect your hunting success though, as clear skies let the animals do their thing during the evening hours. We were looking for moose and elk last weekend, and nicknamed the moon "the lightbulb" it was so bright. We saw most of our game when we were moving camp in the dark. The days were a bust for hunting with only 2 mulie does and one whitetail doe seen during daylight hours.

No draws are a "given". I had a region 3 moose draw a few years ago and hunted where I normally see several larger bulls for 11 days straight before I found one. Persistence is your best chance of success. That's huntin'.

Schmaus
10-13-2006, 06:18 AM
The rut was good around here just when it always is second to last week in september. I called in quite a few bulls in one weekend. Its slowed down a lot around now, you can still get some animals to call but they don't really want to come in very good.

dana
10-13-2006, 06:46 AM
The clear bright cold nights of last week had them rutting all night and resting up in the timber during the day. Should be pretty much wound down now.

jessbennett
10-13-2006, 06:48 AM
i dont know, the rut seems like crazy full swing here!:eek:

boonerbuck
10-13-2006, 09:31 AM
The rut has wound down now. It will pick up again in some areas with unbred cows come early November. This is one of my favourite times to moose hunt. The odds are low on the draws and the bulls are not hard to find and yes, they do come to calling.

I've had them come right in when I've been rattling mulies even.:evil:

GoatGuy
10-13-2006, 09:41 AM
There's no such thing as the rut not happening/happening late. Cows are bred at pretty much the same time every year.

As mentioned hot days and clear nights will affect activity in the day.

However, you should still be able to call bulls in with cow calls. I've worked bulls all the way til Oct 31 up North and still had them run right in - just a little harder to coax 'em out of the wood work.

Keep on trying! Persistence pays off.

ARC
10-13-2006, 09:58 AM
The guys I work with called in a bull while at work on Tuesday. The same day they got a video of a decent bull chasing a cow along the side of the road. Last year we called a medium sized bull to within about 15 yards of a running truck the second to last weekend of October. This is in the Fort St John area, and I don't know how different the moose behaviour is where you are.

moosecaller
10-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Called in 3 bulls day before yesterday they came in running. You just need to be persistant and be in an area where you see sign and cows. And that is another thing the cows were calling back to me as well which tells me they are still receptive and looking to be bred. I fully agree with goatguy rut is the same time every year and I too have had them come to the call while I have been eating the kids halloween candy between calls. Just be patient and you will score.

boonerbuck
10-13-2006, 12:13 PM
If you are calling them eating Halloween candy then you are in Nov and entering the second rut.

Fisher-Dude
10-13-2006, 01:14 PM
If you are calling them eating Halloween candy then you are in Nov and entering the second rut.

No, the bulls just like gummie bears. 8-)

BCrams
10-13-2006, 01:34 PM
The rut is not late. The full moon and clear nights will have the moose very active at night and quiet during the day.

Like GG, we have called moose in right through October without too much difficulty using cow calls. With dropping temperatures and no full moon coming up, you can count on cows coming out of the woodwork where you can see them later into the mornings / earlier in the evenings and quite often, the bulls will be hanging around them.

oldtimer
10-13-2006, 02:52 PM
Willy had one talking to him on Monday so I would say the rut is still on but as stated earlier they are doing their thing at night. You should still be able to bring one out . Mike

Stone Sheep Steve
10-13-2006, 07:16 PM
There was a short write up in the regs a few years ago that said that MOST of the breeding of cows in Reg 3 and 8 (I believe) are bred during the primary rut from Oct 1-7th. The bulls are all ready to go before that period and it's common to have them grunting any time after Sept 20th. If cows are receptive say over a 10 day spread and then the unbred ones go into estrus about 4 weeks later you're going to have action anywhere from Sept 20th to the beginning of November. There may be a lull some where in the middle but I don't believe it's that long.
I know one guy that grunted in a 48" bull the firt day of his November draw in the Okanagan. He didn't come in too aggressively but he DID come in.

SSS

browningboy
10-14-2006, 10:51 AM
I just got a call from my buddies this morning, they're hunting by Tumbler Ridge (well scouting until this monday morning), but the bulls are chasing the cows hot and heavy, he told me you could fart in a funnel and you'll get some grunts back! This morning ran across 7 moose ( 2 bulls 5 cows) and they're in love, so I think the heats on in Tumbler!!!!:shock: :shock: