PDA

View Full Version : FSR's

waterdog
10-12-2006, 09:51 PM
First I would like to say this is an excellent site. Lots of great information (and humour) for a new to BC hunter. I have hunted for many years for grouse, migratory birds and Whitetails in Manitoba, but, this is my first year hunting in BC. I have read the BC regulations and Synopsis and picked up many valuable tips from this site, however, I have a question in regard to the FSR's. I purchased a Backroads mapbook and took the .22 out last week and walked some of the FSR's off the #5 north of Hope. Shot several grouse (quite yummy in mushroom soup base) and saw several deer. My question is though, when you get to a gate that is closed on the FSR can you continue on, on foot on that FSR and the Spurs off of it, or is it considered tresspassing. In Manitoba you are able to get section maps that show Crown land and private property. The Backroad map showed IR's and the Synopsis spelled out "No Shooting" areas for each region. Any advice would be appreciated.

ElectricDyck
10-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Yes. They are usually closed due to active logging or road deactivation, basically it's no longer in their budget to maintain the road, yet safe to carry on on foot.

ryanb
10-12-2006, 10:29 PM
As far as I know, unless property is fenced, cultivated, or posted...I think the law say's one can assume it is crown land. Gates on FSR's might be in place for several reasons. There is no reason you cannot pass on foot, most times you can even get a key unless the logging company that put up the gate has a good reason not to give you one.

Nearly all logged land on the mainland is crown land, but there are some small wood-lots that are exceptions.

Fred
10-13-2006, 03:00 PM
Welcome waterdog! There are several of us Manitobeans here. Where you are looking is great for ditch chickens and other types of game. I doubt that you will find any private property up there once you get past Sowaqua Ck. Fred(ex Winterpeger)

waterdog
10-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the information. I will definitely check out some more areas up that way and beyond the gates.
Thanks for the welcome Fred, glad to hear there are other Manitobans out there.

Fred
10-14-2006, 08:32 AM
There is also gold in them thar hills waterdog so if you have that interest maybe you should take along a gold pan. Fred

brotherjack
10-14-2006, 10:06 AM
As far as I know, unless property is fenced, cultivated, or posted...I think the law say's one can assume it is crown land.

Actually, from what I understand, it's not as clear as that. There's two sets of laws that govern private land and third party access ("Trespass"). Though, I would advise you to get a more difinitive answer than mine, here's how I've heard it explained by smarter folks than me:

For general purposes (ie: hiking, biking, etc), if it ain't posted, you ain't in trouble. If you get asked to leave, you should do so.

But, for hunting purposes - it is YOUR responsibility to find out the status of the land you hunt, and get WRITTEN permission to hunt if it's private property.

That's the law. However - from all I have ever heard about 'field application' of those laws, you pretty much need to have made a land owner angry before you're likely to get in any real trouble. So be safe, courteous, and polite to anyone you run into - don't hunt obviously private land (cultivated or posted) - and chances of getting in trouble are very very low.