PDA

View Full Version : rainbows thru the ice

xcaribooer
02-01-2012, 02:20 PM
what sort of rigs are you finding to work well for rainbows thru the ice? leader size? lure? bait? post a pic if you can

guywitha270
02-01-2012, 09:51 PM
I have been successful this year on micro balanced leaches in very shallow water.

Deeboe
02-01-2012, 10:47 PM
used to slay them on meal worms....

steelheadSABO
02-01-2012, 10:51 PM
I use shrimp from a shrimp ring with just 1 little splitshot in 2-10 feet of water seems to work pretty good
They are may favorite bait caught a lot of coho steelies brookies cutthroat and rainbows

TheProvider
02-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Trout can be tough thru the ice. Some days they;ll slam everything and other days you'll get lil nibbles. Some days they like jigging other days they hate it. For this reason I believe simple is better. Going to a lake on fri that holds brookies and rainbows. Be using a simple single hook with worm on it and a cple split shots a foot and a half above the hook. This way I can get a feel of thier mood for the day. I can let the line sit or jig it. It won't take long to see if thier liking jigging that day. If they like jigging I can simply switch off to a different hook. Also keep in mind they can be picky. In crystal clear water you wanna make sure every part of the hook is covered in bait. If thier being picky that day and can see a small section of hook, good luck with getting them to take it.

Word of caution- the setup I mention with a hook and worm with a split shot a foot and a half above the hook. If your jigging this set up. The split shot will be heavier than the hook and worm therefor if you jig to aggresively the split shot will fall faster than the hook and the trout will steal the bait without you noticing it. I find they prefer to take the bait on the "drop." I use this setup for slow jigging or letting it just sit with a jig or two every once in awhile.

Let the fish tell you what they want that day. Don't be afraid to switch it up with hooks and bait and also locations.

steelheadSABO
02-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Also ice fishing rods are useless every time I hook a fish I always end up grabbing the line and pulling it up instead of grabbing the rod.

TheProvider
02-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Also ice fishing rods are useless every time I hook a fish I always end up grabbing the line and pulling it up instead of grabbing the rod.

Haha I used to do that to when I started with them. I still like a set line with a ribbon and twig so if the fish wants to run it can pull the ribbon off the twig

Tikka270wsm
02-02-2012, 11:04 AM
I found an orange glow hook topped with krill on a 2 foot leader with a Red/Silver Williams Wobbler above the leader to work great in the Caribou. Every winter for 8 years I would fish near 100 Mile House and found this rig to be the most productive of what I had in the tackle box. Best numbers were in Fawn Lake and biggest fish were in Simon Lake. Apparently Simon had airators put in to lessen the winter kill so I'm not sure if it is safe to Ice Fish there anymore.

knighthunter
02-02-2012, 01:52 PM
used to slay them on meal worms....

Throw away your leader.

TheProvider
02-02-2012, 01:58 PM
I'd never use a leader ice fishing unless going for pike. Even if your catching fish using them you'll prolly catch alot more without it