PDA

View Full Version : hunting with air rifles...

mungojeerie
01-31-2012, 08:12 PM
Someone I know wants to start grouse hunting and is really interested in using an air rifle and going for head shots only.

He wants to use a 1200 fps .177, I suggested that he go with a 950 fps .22 but he would really like to use the .177

Then I thought, hey is it even legal so shoot upland game birds with with an air rifle? I know that air rifles are used for hunting and lots of people use them for squirrels and rabbits and what not and Ive even seen .22 air rifles suggested for use on critters as large as ground hogs, skunks and racoons.

I guess Im just wanting to know if it is lawful to hunt grouse with air rifles and if so, is the same true with .177 air rifles?

Personally I'll stick to my .22LR :)

Gateholio
01-31-2012, 08:20 PM
Yes, it's legal. I'm sure both will work.

Both are considered firearms in Canada, too.

ROEBUCK
01-31-2012, 08:36 PM
head shots will work fine, as will chest shots ,and shots from behind but not sideway shots with a airgun.as pellet will have dificulty getting through wings.
keep yer shots close, 25 yards and you will have success with .177 or .22

David Heitsman
01-31-2012, 09:50 PM
I have a .22 pellet air rifle (RWS Magnum) and feel it's a bit light for grouse. If you are close (25 yds-) and can take the head/neck shot you're OK but if you do a straight on into the breast shot they can fly away with the pellet and no doubt succomb later on. A side shot will sometimes take a wing out and then you can catch them for dispatch but not always as they run into the thickets and you can't reach them. Try some of the different pellets out for performance. I recently bought these gold plated pellets by Gamo that I am interested to try out. Otherwise I'd go with a .22 rimfire next time or .410 shot gun.

Gateholio
01-31-2012, 10:45 PM
what is the velocity on that RWS 22 David?

fireguy
01-31-2012, 11:20 PM
It's amazing what they have come out with now in air rifles, I never thought about shooting a .357 145 grain projectile out of an air rifle at 1000 fps, but you now can. Should take out a grouse.

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pcp/BPE3571LE

mungojeerie
01-31-2012, 11:29 PM
It's amazing what they have come out with now in air rifles, I never thought about shooting a .357 145 grain projectile out of an air rifle at 1000 fps, but you now can. Should take out a grouse.

Whew, that's Definitly a step up in air rifles. I was suggesting either the crossman or Remington nitro piston rifles. I've been curious about picking one up for plinking. But I'm a bit torn between the .177 and the .22. If it worked well it could be fun for grouse while moose hunting, but I think I'd want the .22 for that and I'd prefer the .177 for plinking

Guess I will let my friend purchase his .177 and see how it works for him, then go from there.

Str8shooterbc
01-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Lewis & Clark used an air gun. They were used by the Austrian Army in Battles with Napoleon's troops. I often wonder why they don't make them today. The ones the Austrians used would Thru and Thru 1" of pine at 100 Yards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI

Gateholio
01-31-2012, 11:34 PM

Yeah, there are aor rifles that are capapble of taking big game, I expect to see them get more popular now that they are using them on WILD TV :)

David Heitsman
02-06-2012, 03:43 PM
what is the velocity on that RWS 22 David?

Had bought it at least 20 years ago so had to check online. It lists the rifle at 1100 fps for the .177 and 900 fps for the .22. I saved a couple phone books to check out these gold plated pellets on to see if indeed they do penetrate any better.

Livewire322
02-06-2012, 03:55 PM
That .357 crosman is sweet but not legal in Canada neither is the marauder! Stupid internal shroud makes it prohib!
I was going to but the Benjamin trail xp .22 listed as 1000 fps I think it may be 1100...

SimilkameenSlayer
02-06-2012, 04:00 PM
air rifles of a certain quality and fps are probably the most underrated firearm for small game. quieter then a 22lr, less expensive ammo and more often than not some improvement in accuracy.

with a .177 go with the heaviest pellets, as these are much more stable, light weight pellets become very unstable when speeds approach the sound barrier.

.25 caliber is probably the best small game air rifle caliber, much harder hitting more energy transferred, thou .22 is ok.

SS

on my shopping list.

http://www.dlairgun.com/Air-Rifles/Weihrauch/046_HW97_K.html

Fishgutz
02-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Get yourself some Predator pellets.... I use them in my .20 cal Silver streak at 675 fps and they'll thru and thru a crow broad side at 30 yards (45 yards is my best so far)

KodiakHntr
02-06-2012, 04:56 PM
I've shot a critter or two with my RWS Magnum 350 in .177, a few more with my Diana 34 in .177, a couple in the Feinwerkbau's, etc...You get the picture.....

If you can find a heavier pellet that is accurate it'll work quite well. Out of the several dozen+ ruffed and blue grouse I've shot and seen shot with the Magnum 350 I think we've recovered about 3 pellets. JSB Exacts work fairly well in mine.

It's been an absolute hammer on grouse so far, easily killing them out past 75 yards. It's one of those things that has to be seen to be appreciated, how they simply fall to the ground, no twitching, no wing beats, simply dead.

Ronforca
02-06-2012, 06:13 PM
I hunt with a Gamo 1250.It is not for ladies as with the large scope that I have on it it weighs 11 1/2 lbs.and takes 57 lbs.of pressure to cock.I use Beeman 177 Silver arrow 11.5 grn.pellets in it.They keep it below the sound barrier so that it is very accurate.It is also makes a lot less noise.I do most of my shooting on my own property as it is a bit heavy to lug around.

igojuone
02-06-2012, 10:32 PM
http://americanairgunhunter.com/
http://www.adventuresinairguns.com/index.php?osCsid=4d9282450eec3fa4fc2a6c5acb10548f
http://www.bigboreairguns.com/

Here's 3 good site related to hunting with air guns.

ROEBUCK
02-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Get yourself some Predator pellets.... I use them in my .20 cal Silver streak at 675 fps and they'll thru and thru a crow broad side at 30 yards (45 yards is my best so far)

I grew up airgun hunting in britain. always wanted a .20cal, but never did get 1,they say there awesome !
I have killed a lot of game birds,rabbits,rats,weasels,and ferral cats with a .22, 12#cocking action rifle.
used to have a theoban rapid 7 ,with a air bottle attached to the gun.
cool gun

Johnny G1
02-06-2012, 11:12 PM
I hunt with a Gamo 1250.It is not for ladies as with the large scope that I have on it it weighs 11 1/2 lbs.and takes 57 lbs.of pressure to cock.I use Beeman 177 Silver arrow 11.5 grn.pellets in it.They keep it below the sound barrier so that it is very accurate.It is also makes a lot less noise.I do most of my shooting on my own property as it is a bit heavy to lug around. Just what Gamo do you have that weighs 11 1/2 lbs, must be somthing new????

Ronforca
02-07-2012, 06:22 AM
it is a Gamo Hunter 1250,made in England.It has a large Leo-pers scope mounted on it.You can weigh it for yourself any time that you want if you doubt it.I also have a quite old 177 Gevado which was made by Diana a long time ago.It is scoped also but is much lighter than the Gamo.It shots around 700 fps and is very accurate.

Ronforca
02-07-2012, 06:30 AM
According to the specs the Gamo 1250 with a 18" barrel weighs 9 lbs.Mine has a 20 1/2 in.barrel and is scoped.You do the math.

Str8shooterbc
02-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Here is a new way to go for pneumatic rifles. This is a Benjamin Marauder Rifle and comes in .117, .22 and .25 cal and is a repeater meaning it will shoot muli-times before having to pump it up. It apparently groups under 2" at 100 yards and is rated for predator - meaning Coyote. I wonder how long before one is developed rated for 100lb animals?

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pcp/BP2563

bogtrotter
02-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Sorry to be the one to announce this but air rifles are NOT legal in BC for taking game. Got this straight from a CO friend of mine. Check the regs under Legal Hunting Methods - no mention of air rifles only rimfire, centre fire, shotgun, bows and cross bows. BTW, there's no mention of spears, atlatls or broad axes either. Maybe the province should take a look at air rifles - I'm sure they are great on small game. But for the moment, they are an illegal method.

Singleshotneeded
02-07-2012, 02:03 PM
That Marauder looks great, .25 calibre pellets are the best for small game, and an MSRP of about $500.
I can't believe the RCMP classed them prohibited!? That's bloody daft! And yes, as I mentioned before, airguns
aren't recognized as a legal way to hunt in BC, yet...Bogtrotter is right...

sawmill
02-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Sorry to be the one to announce this but air rifles are NOT legal in BC for taking game. Got this straight from a CO friend of mine. Check the regs under Legal Hunting Methods - no mention of air rifles only rimfire, centre fire, shotgun, bows and cross bows. BTW, there's no mention of spears, atlatls or broad axes either. Maybe the province should take a look at air rifles - I'm sure they are great on small game. But for the moment, they are an illegal method.

And yet air rifles are considered fire arms?

Gateholio
02-07-2012, 03:00 PM

Nope, they are 100% legal. (so are spears and atlatls and broad axes for that matter) Look in the Wildlife Act. The Wildlife Act is the law, not the regulations synopsis.

Handgun air guns would be illegal to hunt with as the BC Wildlife Act states that handguns may not be used for hunting. But air rifles are legal to hunt with.

Gateholio
02-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Here are a few air guns designed for larger game. There are some other ones that have been used on even bigger stuff IIRC

http://www.adventuresinairguns.com/big-game-c-3.html

Str8shooterbc
02-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Coyotes are classified as small game.

I wasn't aware that the Benjamin Marauder Rifle was a prohib. When did this happen?

Gateholio
02-07-2012, 03:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKibl-LEr-Y

Str8shooterbc
02-07-2012, 03:38 PM
I just got off the phone with a CO and this isn't an easy question to answer, about air guns to take game. Short answer seems to be no, but....

When I asked can I kill a Grouse with a rock I got .................................................. .................................................. .....................................

Well .................................................u h................................................. ................. can we get back to you?

From pg 3 of the Hunting Synopsis

Firearm - includes a device that propels a
projectile by means of an explosion, compressed
gas or spring and includes a rifle,
shotgun, handgun, pellet gun, "BB" gun or spring
gun but does not include a bow.

KodiakHntr
02-07-2012, 03:48 PM

Air rifles are absolutely legal to hunt with......As has been said the synopsis isn't the law, merely an easier to understand format than the Wildlfe Act.

Air rifles, slingshots, etc, all completely legal to hunt small game with......The only things that AREN'T legal to hunt with have been specifically stated in the Wildlife Act ie, rimfires for big game, handguns for anything, etc....

bogtrotter
02-07-2012, 04:44 PM
I knew my comment about spears and axes would get Gatehouse's blood pressure up. The Wildlife Act mentions airguns but only in the definition of Firearm. It doesn't say you can use all firearms to hunt game. What the Act does have is the convention of allowing the Minister to set regulations. He does that through the regulations (i.e. synopsis) and they are the law. Here's my CO buddy's opinion about airguns:

"No they’re not legal, same as slingshots for grouse. Must be either a bow, shotgun, rim fire, or centre fire firearm"

The idea that if the Act doesn't specifically prohibit something, then it must be legal is wrong. Look at the regs page 16 - the heading is Legal Hunting Methods. If it isn't mentioned there, then it must be illegal.

KodiakHntr
02-07-2012, 04:49 PM
I knew my comment about spears and axes would get Gatehouse's blood pressure up. The Wildlife Act mentions airguns but only in the definition of Firearm. It doesn't say you can use all firearms to hunt game. What the Act does have is the convention of allowing the Minister to set regulations. He does that through the regulations (i.e. synopsis) and they are the law. Here's my CO buddy's opinion about airguns:

"No they’re not legal, same as slingshots for grouse. Must be either a bow, shotgun, rim fire, or centre fire firearm"

The idea that if the Act doesn't specifically prohibit something, then it must be legal is wrong. Look at the regs page 16 - the heading is Legal Hunting Methods. If it isn't mentioned there, then it must be illegal.

Absolutely wrong there.

I happen to have a CO buddy who HUNTS with a slingshot for grouse when he's bowhunting. AND I've been stopped with limit's of grouse and an air rifle, and had CO's ask if that's what I used.....Never had a single CO tell me it's illegal. Only comment I've gotten is "Good shooting" and, "Can I try that? Where can I get one? How much do they cost?"

KodiakHntr
02-07-2012, 04:51 PM
He does that through the regulations (i.e. synopsis) and they are the law.

syn·op·sis

   /sɪˈnɒphttp://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngsɪs/ Show Spelled[si-nop-sis] Show IPA
noun, plural -ses  /-siz/ Show Spelled[-seez] Show IPA. 1. a brief or condensed statement giving a general view of some subject.

2. a compendium of heads or short paragraphs giving a view of the whole.

3. a brief summary of the plot of a novel, motion picture, play, etc.

The synopsis, is NOT the Regulation.

bogtrotter
02-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Tell it to the judge !

Gateholio
02-07-2012, 05:18 PM

Pretty much everything in this post is wrong. Read the Wildlife Act.

Because the judge is going to use the Wildlife Act.....

KodiakHntr
02-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Tell it to the judge !

Laughin'.....

Be pretty tough to do, as it will never come up, considering it's legal.

But you keep arguing the point if you like, it's making me smile.

Bless your heart.

Gateholio
02-07-2012, 11:36 PM
I see bogtrotter hasn't bothered to read the Wildlife Act even though he has had 2 years! :)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?39674-Pellet-gun-for-hunting-Grouse

fireguy
02-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Copyed from the wildlife act. You are not commiting an offence when you shoot a grouse with an air rifle, which is considered a firearm under the act as well.

Offence — weapons

17 (1) A person commits an offence where he hunts
(a) with a rifle using
(i) a full metal jacketed non-expanding bullet, or
(ii) a tracer, incendiary, or explosive bullet,
(b) big game, other than lynx, bobcat or wolverine, with a rifle using a rimfire cartridge,
(c) with a shotgun using a tracer or incendiary shot shell,
(d) mountain sheep, mountain goat, elk, moose, caribou, bison or grizzly bear with a shotgun,
(e) deer, black bear, cougar, coyote, lynx, bobcat, wolverine or wolf with a shotgun
(i) less than 20 gauge, or
(ii) using a shot shell loaded with shot smaller than the shot size 1 Buck,
(f) game birds, other than turkey, grouse and ptarmigan, with a rifle,
(g) small game, game birds, lynx, bobcat, wolverine, mule (black-tailed) deer, white-tailed deer or fallow deer with a crossbow (except a compound crossbow) having a pull of less than 55 kg,
(h) big game, other than deer, lynx, bobcat or wolverine with a crossbow (except a compound crossbow)
(i) having a pull of less than 68 kg, or
(ii) having a bolt with a broadhead less than 2.22 cm at the widest point,
(i) with a compound crossbow having a pull of less than 45 kg at full draw,
(j) with a crossbow having a bolt weighing less than 16.2 g,
(k) with a bow having a pull of less than 18 kg within the archer's draw length,
(l) big game with a bow using an arrow with a broadhead less than 2.2 cm at the widest point,
(m) bear
(i) by placing bait, or
(ii) by using a dead animal or part of it as bait,
(n) migratory game birds by using a power boat, unless the boat is beached, resting at anchor or fastened within or tied immediately alongside of a fixed hunting blind,
(o) migratory game birds using
(i) a rifle or shotgun loaded with a single projectile,
(ii) any weapon other than a bow and arrow or a shotgun not larger than number 10 gauge, or
(iii) more than one shotgun unless each shotgun in excess of one is disassembled or unloaded and encased,
(p) waterfowl, coot or snipe while using shot other than non-toxic shot,
(q) turkey with a rifle using a centrefire cartridge,
(r) bison with a weapon other than
(i) a centrefire rifle and ammunition other than ammunition constructed with a 175 grain or larger bullet which retains 2 712 joules (2 000 foot pounds) or more energy at 100 metres, or
(ii) a bow having a pull greater than 22.6 kg within the archer's draw length, an arrow greater than 26 grams in weight and a broadhead greater than 8.1 grams in weight and 2.2 cm in width at its widest point, or
(s) with a firearm that is designed, altered or intended to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand or that has a barrel less than 305 mm in length.
(2) A person who possesses shot, other than non-toxic shot, for the purpose of hunting waterfowl, coot or snipe, commits an offence.
(3) A person who hunts big game with a shotgun loaded with single-projectile ammunition is exempt from section 26 (1) (h) of the Wildlife Act.
[am. B.C. Regs. 205/85, s. 3; 184/90, s. 7; 225/92, s. 3; 212/93, s. 3; 203/94, s. 3; 288/95, s. 3;

180/96, s. 4; 226/98, s. 5; 195/99, ss. 8-9; 216/2000, s. 11; 82/2001, s. 3; 168/2001, s. 6; 171/2006, s. (c).]

Singleshotneeded
02-08-2012, 02:03 AM
Okay, so the Wildlife Act supercedes the Regs and hunting with an air rifle is legal.
Why are they making decent air rifles like the Marauder prohibited, it only fires
.25 calibre pellets one at a time??

Gateholio
02-08-2012, 07:36 AM
Do you have pics and a link to the marauder? Never heard of it

Str8shooterbc
02-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Do you have pics and a link to the marauder? Never heard of it

Here is a new way to go for pneumatic rifles. This is a Benjamin Marauder Rifle and comes in .117, .22 and .25 cal and is a repeater meaning it will shoot muli-times before having to pump it up. It apparently groups under 2" at 100 yards and is rated for predator - meaning Coyote. I wonder how long before one is developed rated for 100lb animals?

http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pcp/BP2563

I posted it yesterday

KodiakHntr
02-08-2012, 08:21 AM
"Internal shrouded barrel", or the deadly "silencer" in other words.....

They are a pretty impressive unit from what I hear. Couple guys I know have them and have shot a few wild pigs with them.

Str8shooterbc
02-08-2012, 08:28 AM
A couple of Korean companies have some pretty impressive air guns on the market, some capable of harvesting Deer. Here's one:

http://www.shinsungrifle.com/html/eng/main.htm

Gateholio
02-08-2012, 10:47 PM
"Internal shrouded barrel", or the deadly "silencer" in other words.....

They are a pretty impressive unit from what I hear. Couple guys I know have them and have shot a few wild pigs with them.

Ahh, thats why they are prohib I guess...scary silenced air rifle!:mrgreen:

Iporcher
02-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Does anyone have any advice on places to start looking for grouse? I live in downtown Vancouver and am trying to start hunting but don't know anyone who hunts. Thought I would start with grouse and a .22lr and then move up to deer next season. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

walks with deer
02-09-2012, 02:32 PM
grouse in the fraser valley never do very well wet spring and lots of people although they can be found.

head to the okanagan or thompson on the opener and you will connect

walks with deer
02-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Back to topic anybody finds out were to buy a more powerfull air gun I am all ears.

I purchased a 177 cal at wanstals in maple ridge it goes around 1100fps i have no issues killing grouse with it i even tried it on a crow at 60yards through the back and it dropped dead. I dont use soft pallets they do not retain anything when they splat i use solid ones and you can burry it 5 inches into a large cedar at 50 yards.

however if i could get a larger diameter one that is fast that would be great.

Ghillie
02-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Yes. I bag grouse with, primarily, my air rifle.