PDA

View Full Version : REDSTONE TROPHY HUNTS Dalls, Bous, Moose Etc

01-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Hi Guys and gals,
Has any one on this site used this outfit. They are a fully guided operation in the NWT for Dall Sheep, Caribou, Moose, G and B Bear, Wolf.
I really want a Dall and Northern Bou but it's HUGE money, like so much I probably won't ever do it. for Sheep and Bou from Vancouver your talking 25 + Thousand bucks .... Crazy ....... But a nice self gift come retirement .....

Ya only go around once.

Not enough Dalls in BC for me to take the time and $$ to self Back Pack being it's so far away. Would like to have success of Kennyj but highly unlikely.

Your views ??

Thanks CT

91Jason91
01-31-2012, 03:51 AM
Like you said
Ya only go around once.
"Do Not DREAM YOUR LIFE, LIVE YOUR DREAM!"
You only live once so do what will make you happy =)

Buck
01-31-2012, 05:48 AM
They are the one outfitter in the Mackenzies i was told to stay away from and that was from a good source.

BiG Boar
01-31-2012, 06:25 AM
Cheaper in Alaska. Look around and you can get them for $12 g or so.

bridger
01-31-2012, 06:53 AM
Went with lancasters in the net. Great time good rams

gbear
01-31-2012, 07:13 AM
I went with the Lancasters as well, about a year and half ago. It was a great time, with great people and lots of rams. I posted a write up of my hunt for details. Personally, I don't think you could go wrong with them.

Their price for a combination hunt is likely going to run you the same, but one advantage they have that saves you money in the long run is that you can drive yourself to the spot they pick you up to take you to base camp by river boat. Which means that you don't have to pay extra for a flight to Norman Wells, and you don't have to pay the approximate $2,000 float plane charter into base camp from Norman Wells.

I will go again with Lancasters 1 day, and next time it will be for a combination Sheep/Caribou. Already starting to put some money away for it.

hntcrazy
01-31-2012, 07:19 AM
Go with Lancasters or Harold Grindes outfit ........

kootenayelkslayer
01-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Lots of good outfits in the Mackenzie range in the NWT... Redstone would be last on my recommendation list :s

mfarrally
01-31-2012, 09:05 PM
Go in BC. Lots of rams and awesome country. Draws not even that hard to get.

Hunting guy
01-31-2012, 09:12 PM
watch magnum tv on wild tv this week, they are hunting with redstone outfitters

oclarkii
02-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Check out bonnet plume:
http://www.huntbpo.com/
BIG rams, BIG bou and a hard hunting young crew. These guys are killing some absolutely awsome sheep the last 5 or 6 years.

oclarkii
02-02-2012, 08:02 PM
BPO's in the Yukon by the way...

ianwuzhere
02-02-2012, 08:03 PM
watch magnum tv on wild tv this week, they are hunting with redstone outfitters

i seen the caribou and dall hunt- looks like amazing country and animals..
on their site its not $25g.
good luck on whoever you choose.. id be curious what time of year is the best -starts in july!

bruin
02-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Lots of good outfits in the Mackenzie range in the NWT... Redstone would be last on my recommendation list :s

Amen to that.

northman56751
02-06-2012, 03:09 AM
For those who said to stay away from this outfit...please tell me why?
Firsthand experience?

I am pretty close to booking a caribou hunt with them. I called a bunch of their references from last year and all had a good hunt. I heard from some of them, that the owner (Dave) is pretty rough around the edges, but that's the way he is. Turns some people off immediately.

Eastbranch
02-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Holy christ. Every one of those 2011 rams is a friggin toad.

Check out bonnet plume:
http://www.huntbpo.com/
BIG rams, BIG bou and a hard hunting young crew. These guys are killing some absolutely awsome sheep the last 5 or 6 years.

I heard from some of them, that the owner (Dave) is pretty rough around the edges, but that's the way he is. Turns some people off immediately.
If I was going to spend that much money on a hunting trip, especially in the backcountry, I'd want a guy who is easygoing and polite. I'd stay away from Redstone & MMO. My buddy in yellowknife has had run-ins with both outfits that weren't pleasant.

Bighorn hunter
02-06-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm sure every outfitter out there has some bad press with certain clients, you are never going to be able to please everyone. My only recomendation would be to do your research and try and get some feed back from clients who have hunted with the outfitter that aren't on the reference list:)

BH

David Heitsman
02-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Haven't done a lot of price comparison recently but they're all pretty similar. I have been in for 10 days with NWT outfitters on a horseback hunt. Shot a representative caribou the first day and a good moose the second day. Also was up with Arctic Red River back packing for sheep and caribou and took a sheep only as I didn't kill the ram till day 9 and then it was a 21 mile scramble to go over a pass and make a landing strip for the plane to take me back on.

As others have mentioned Alaska is more economical and any of the McKenzie mountain outfitters will have a large airfare cost to pay. I remember that it cost me the same amount of $$ to go to Johannesburg as it did to get to the McKenzies.

02-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Was your Ram a good one David?

Any Pics ? also how about some pic's from the Ram down south of us this past season.

Thanks

CT

David Heitsman
02-06-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm working on that. CT.

Gonna do a season wrap up post WITH PICS here shortly. My NWT Dall ram was a 7 year old 37" sheep that broke my guides heart as he and I knew that in a couple years it would have gone 40" for someone.

1/2 slam
02-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Go with Lancasters or Harold Grindes outfit ........

I hunted with Gana River in 2000 when Bill owned it. Harold was with him then and took over when Bill retired. It was and still is an awesome outfit. I took a 38 inch 11 1/2 year old ram the first day. Paid 7700 Cdn then.

Whisky Creek
02-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Nice area....As far as the outfitter....... Well,............ Let's just say Dallas and the rest of the crew are great...

With ALL of the Mackenzie Mountains there are plenty of outfitters to choose from. South Nahanni and Nahanni Bute have great reviews.

And yep, I was there for a month last year.

northman56751
02-20-2012, 07:17 PM
You have a pm