PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever try to call in a grizzly bear

bowhunterbruce
01-30-2012, 04:38 PM
doing some thinking and researching and i can't find anything where some one intentionally tried calling in a grizzly for bowhunting.
We all know how most predators will come to a call so why not a grizz.
Personally after seeing grizz last year stalking then taking a whistle pig(horay marmot for those that dont know) it got me thinking that if thats a good sorce of food for them it just might work ,givin the right set-up
if elk callers hang back and call in a bull past a bowhunter ,then why not a grizz.
what do ya think ?would you try it?
bhb

bighornbob
01-30-2012, 04:43 PM
I saw a hunting video where the guide uses a calf elk call to bring in a grizz. Well it worked too well, the bear was shot at something like 10 yards as it was still coming. Have heard of others using a calf elk call in the koots.

I am not too sure how that would work with a bow. Once you let the bear know where you are (from blowing the call) he has your location pinpointed and he is coming in fast for a free meal. Some how I dont think it would run in then turn broadside for a shot.

BHB

91Jason91
01-30-2012, 04:46 PM
Lol I can see the grizz messing some people up

bowhunterbruce
01-30-2012, 04:49 PM
partners or teams set up calling so the bear has to come past a bowhunter to get to the caller.hence broadside/quarting away shots are possible

bowhunterbruce
01-30-2012, 04:51 PM
Lol I can see the grizz messing some people up

its not something for any rookies or faint at hearts would want to consider,thats for sure

warnniklz
01-30-2012, 05:04 PM
and if the caller is carrying some lead bear spray... I think you'd be alright.

on another note... I've heard of gunshots in places like alberta and the peace area call in grizzlies as well

CHEAM
01-30-2012, 05:04 PM
A buddy of mine with his father were stalked and then charged by a sow and two cubs.They had been calling elk as it happend. I don't see why it would not work. Seeing a bear and then calling would work best in my opinion as you could watch his reaction to the call.

kendoo
01-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Had one come to a elk cow/calf call but was comeing 50 miles an hour 338 at his feet turned him at the last second, not sure if an arrow would do the same thing.

BlacktailStalker
01-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Yes had two "spackling" encounters with cow elk calls. One was with a bow in hand, not fun !

Str8shooterbc
01-30-2012, 05:42 PM
In nearly 80s I used to deal with Burnham Brothers of Texas. They were one of the early predator call people around. I used to talk quite a bit with the people at Burnham Brothers and they would tell me that almost any animal can be called, and in particular any predator. They said cats, Bobcat, Lynx and Cougar, called well but they were slow to come in so you had to be patient. There's no reason why bear could not be called.

Try a fawn or goat sound. But make sure you have a clear line of fire of at least 80 to 100 yards. One of the big problems with calling coyotes is it if you're not careful they can end up the blind with you. If they bite you and you can't kill and take him to the doctor you have to go through a whole series of rabies shots.

Get surprised by a Grizzly and the rabies shots would be the least of your worries.

AltaElkhunter
01-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Bart Lancaster has Bob Fontana(?) calling one in on one of his videos he produced, looked a little tense, maybe kinda hard to be selective as in that case he had to shoot it.

91Jason91
01-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Lol is the vid on youtube?

AltaElkhunter
01-30-2012, 06:38 PM
not sure, I looked for the video, it was all about bears, with some of the hunting with the late Bob Fontana in SE BC, they do kill some nice bears in it.

91Jason91
01-30-2012, 06:41 PM
O nice if you ever find it post it up hahha

bowhunterbruce
01-30-2012, 06:51 PM
O nice if you ever find it post it up hahha

ya,what he said

Ride Red
01-30-2012, 06:58 PM
partners or teams set up calling so the bear has to come past a bowhunter to get to the caller.hence broadside/quarting away shots are possible

Good luck with that !?!?!?!?!?

Foxton Gundogs
01-30-2012, 07:02 PM
its not something for any rookies or faint at hearts would want to consider,thats for sure

Thats a fact they come in hot and ready to fight no pussy footing about and checking things out. You want to be in a tree stand or have your back to something tall and wide. After seeing how blackies react Id only be doing it with a real trustworthy back up man with a BIG rifle.

bowhunterbruce
01-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Thats a fact they come in hot and ready to fight no pussy footing about and checking things out. You want to be in a tree stand or have your back to something tall and wide. After seeing how Nalckies react Id only be doing it with a real trustworthy back up man with a BIG rifle.

oh ya, the set up would have to have the callers back against a wall and my 45/70 as back up should cover it,don't ya think

ROEBUCK
01-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Make sure you take a change of underpants!

elkdom
01-30-2012, 07:19 PM
some years in 7B, Grizzlies coming in to Cow and Calf elk talk is just as normal as getting elk coming in to elks sounds,

3 grizzly encounters while hunting elk last years, 2 of them momma grizz with 2 year old cubs ,learning to hunt,,,

YES, calling grizzlies is possible ! and common !

Gateholio
01-30-2012, 07:21 PM
I'd want to identify a target bear prior to calling. It would suck to have a random female or juvenile show up and you have to kill it.

weatherbyjunkie
01-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Grizz canmost definetly be called!! my hunting buddy "called one in" while cow calling,and spraying cow in estrus scent into the wind,and all over himself.lol.didnt take long at all. smells like an elk,sounds like an elk,must be an elk. And yes he read the part of the label that "said do not spray on clothes or person"......

swampthing
01-30-2012, 07:52 PM
I was hanging out watching a lick with 2 other guys one evening. We spotted a grizz about 1km off. A predator call we had with us brought it right into us. When I hunt grizz now I carry a call hoping for another occasion like this. If they hear it I believe they will come in.

Fisher-Dude
01-30-2012, 07:59 PM
I've called in grizzlies while calling for elk. Good thing I had clean gonch back at the camper! :shock:

Blockcaver
01-30-2012, 08:43 PM
We predator called one in last spring. I was bowhunting grizzlies and he came off the slide we were watching and headed to the creek in a hurry (we did not know he was there until we called)! Lucky he smelled us as he was crossing the creek and turned tail or we probably would've had to use the rifle. It was one of the most intense moments of my life. No clean shorts needed as I was puckered too tight.

Str8shooterbc
01-30-2012, 09:12 PM
I'd want to identify a target bear prior to calling. It would suck to have a random female or juvenile show up and you have to kill it.

Right, and his buddy that comes up from behind?? Remember you're calling all bears.

emerson
01-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Hunting predators with a pointy stick is for the committed. Here's an opportunity for demonstration of "fair chase". Please post the vid....

OutWest
01-30-2012, 09:59 PM
One of the big problems with calling coyotes is it if you're not careful they can end up the blind with you. If they bite you and you can't kill and take him to the doctor you have to go through a whole series of rabies shots.

Ya, that's one of the big problems with calling coyotes :roll:

proguide66
01-30-2012, 10:00 PM
diddo on calling em in with elk calls , one time a sow and 3-3yr old cubs , 20 yrds...wasnt one of my fonder memories.One time grunted up a damned blackbear ,tried to wave it off as it was stalking me...had a bul coming in and the b bear was absolutely FOCUSED on me and my hunter-15 bloody yards-no question we were humans ! ...crouching low and sneaking in AFTER I faced ot waving at it....dead bear....
I like to position my horses ( when possible) at my 'weak direction' while calling in some spots where I know something has a good chance to happen...try sneaking in on a horse while hunting , damned near impossible , they dont miss a thing and the ears tell you everything....hope you stick an arrow in a bear , would be cool..especially on video.
I tried up in the Tat. one time , couldnt 'line it up'...

troutseeker
01-30-2012, 10:02 PM
I've called in a black bear with one of them "Wabbit in this dress"calls, worked like a charm. I don't see why a grizzly would be any different.

Str8shooterbc
01-30-2012, 10:19 PM
I've called in a black bear with one of them "Wabbit in this dress"calls, worked like a charm. I don't see why a grizzly would be any different.

Yea, I had a Black Bear within 20 yards of me when I called in Yotes in the early season. Came in from behind and I never heard it. I try to sit in front of a bush or tree for just that reason. I can just see the joy in calling in a Grizz with a .223 Rem in my hand.

I've called in a Yote with a Duck call once so it ain't a big stretch for a Grizz with a goat bleat.

Kitimat Killer
01-30-2012, 10:34 PM
I've called In a few Grizz that way works great all depends on the bear and conditions of course I had 1 big boar walking away from me at 400 yds started on the call and had him come all the way to 50 when I stopped calling had no tag just wanted to try it after that I've called 4 bears in always just to try never killed one that way tho but works good like I said I've tried lots and lots of bears just turn and head away but when the conditions are right there coming on a string. Bring some big back up tho might need it

KK

.300wsm
01-30-2012, 10:45 PM
while guiding have called one particular grizz out 3 days in a row with a cow moose moan. client missed him 2 days in a row the 3 day the bear was a little more wary no shot presented. Have called them in a few other times too with the cow call had to change it up a bit was calling to many bears in and no tags.

sherpa-Al
01-30-2012, 10:48 PM
I called in a large boar 2 years ago while bowhunting moose. I was 20 feet up a big spruce calling when a bull or so I thought came grunting and crashing in. The sound was a little off but within 5 min the boar showed himself at the edge of the clearing looking for his prey. I'm telling you those were some awfully tense next few minutes trying to remain perfectly still and quiet before he decided to leave, slowly of course. I waited another hour or so and climbed down and hiked out in the dark. Last fall I was back to the exact spot only to find a grizz had killed a large bull about two weeks prior to my being there. I don't know if that bear actually came to the cow call looking for a meal but it seems logical that in a large moose swamp if you're top dog and hear a moose calling it'd be as good as a dinner bell.

I bought a "Carlton Bawling Bear Call" this spring. It comes with an instructional dvd and seems like it'd work although I haven't called anything in with it yet, but I'm trying it on Blackies. It sounds like a bawling bear cub. The dvd shows spot and stalk hunting to get within earshot and then calling. Most bears respond to the call and come to investigate. These bears are definately looking for something to eat so If you were to try bowhunting you would want to set up correctly and the caller might want to have some protection!

Al

Krico
01-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Sometimes bears (both grizzlies and black bears) pay no attention whatsoever to predator calls. Sometimes times they come in slow and curious. Sometimes they come in fast and furious. When it's the latter, it can be rather intense, and you better be locked and loaded. Keep in mind they are coming in to eat you, thinking you are a tasty fawn/calf. I shot a grizzly at under 10 metres doing this once and am very glad I had a rifle and not a bow in my hands at that moment!

I do think though it would be fun to do with a bow from a tree stand where you are less vulnerable/exposed.

ELKAHOLICS
01-30-2012, 11:22 PM
first you get a tag.Then you think about the guilt that comes with getting your buddy killed by a bear. I suggest you stalk them alone with a bow.i have called a few in. wouldn't suggest it. much smarter to stalk.

vortex hunter
01-31-2012, 12:02 AM
Lets just all get a tag and be done with it.......

250 sav
01-31-2012, 12:06 AM
When I used to hunt 7-07 the grizzlies came to rifle shots.

fireguy
01-31-2012, 12:37 AM
I think it would work just fine, I have not done it myself but I did bring a nice one in by baiting him. All I had to do was drag my buddy along with me grizzly hunting, hike through the bush about 7km and he followed my buddy right to where we were sitting glassing the opposite side of the valley.

My friend hates it when I tell people I brought him along for bait

MOOSE MILK
01-31-2012, 12:37 AM
In 7-21 they come in to rifle shots and moose calls. I have had several come to the shots, one time a buddy was up on top of the mountain (not a very high one)and I was lower in the valley calling and shot a moose. At the time my buddy was watching a sow and two cubs on the other side and he said that as soon as the shot went off the bears headed right in our direction. They arrived and claimed my moose!
Another time I was calf calling in the same area and a big boar came bursting out of the bush on the other side of the cutline that I was on, .338WM. and he is on my wall now.

BiG Boar
01-31-2012, 07:21 AM
I have a video on calling bears you can watch. It looks like it works, but not like it does with Coyotes. Usually you have to have the bear in sight.

That being said I did call in a grizzly this year with my cow moose bellowing. Got to about 200 yards heading right for me. I was looking into a nice alpine bowl. I decided to leave and looked back (toward the bear) to see 3 moose at about 200 yards, 150 yards from the grizzly. They walked right into the bush with the grizzly in it, and the calf did not make it out. It was crazy! I have pics of the event. But the kill was not in the open, so there are no gruesome pics unfortunately.

bowhunterbruce
01-31-2012, 07:31 AM
I have a video on calling bears you can watch. It looks like it works, but not like it does with Coyotes. Usually you have to have the bear in sight.

That being said I did call in a grizzly this year with my cow moose bellowing. Got to about 200 yards heading right for me. I was looking into a nice alpine bowl. I decided to leave and looked back (toward the bear) to see 3 moose at about 200 yards, 150 yards from the grizzly. They walked right into the bush with the grizzly in it, and the calf did not make it out. It was crazy! I have pics of the event. But the kill was not in the open, so there are no gruesome pics unfortunately.

well i'm pretty sure you know why i'm curious about it.givin the lay of the land ,it could be another option to getem in close.
i'd love to see that video,whats it called and by who

2tins
01-31-2012, 07:37 AM
and if the caller is carrying some lead bear spray... I think you'd be alright.

on another note... I've heard of gunshots in places like alberta and the peace area call in grizzlies as well

Personally I think that if two guys are set up to try and call in a bear it would be wise to have both fellas pack'n a little extra protection. You don't know where the bear will come from or how fast.

adamgarbett
01-31-2012, 04:39 PM

Please feel free to share the pics

hunter1947
02-01-2012, 03:45 AM
I have called in a handful of Grizzly bears elk cow calling over my years hunting for elk but never had the opportunity to call any in with a LEH draw but I am sure it would work or just fire a few shots off in the air and they will come in thinking it is dinner time ,LOL :mrgreen:..

BCRiverBoater
02-01-2012, 08:21 PM
We were on the Prophet one year coming down the river in two boats. The boat in front of us let out a few cow calls. Within about 30 seconds I heard a branch or something crack from behind me to my right. I was in the back of the boat and turned around to see a good size grizzly boar come busting through the trees into the river. I yelled bear and my buddy in the front reached for the defender. I yelled bear a second time as he was now about a third of the way into the river. No sure if the second yell scared him or if he winded us? He was already running into the trees by the time my buddy had the defender out and on him. Would have been real close or he may have been on me before the first shot could have even been fired. Was an awesome sight to see. A large grizzly close enough to see the drool coming from his jowls and the red in his eyes while let out a good woof! I am sure he was walking down the horse trail and heard the cow elk. Figured an easy meal swimming the river and came running.

That was the second grizzly to charge us in the river in consecutive days. The day before we were coming up on a lick and I saw two grizzly cubs. We knew the mother was around and had the defender out and on the bank just as she came flying out over her cubs and came to the bank. She stared us down for a minute before pushing her cubs back into the trees.

These are the things that only a few people get to experience and is why I go to the mountains as often as I can. Just wish we had the video camera going both times.

Alpine Addict
02-01-2012, 08:26 PM
After getting to about 500 yards on a girzzly, I used a fawn distress call and got it to come about 300 yards closer. Pretty neat. It was a sow so we never shot it

bowhunterbruce
02-02-2012, 06:27 AM
well because of where i put in for grizzly this spring,there are no elk yet nor any deer.
for this reason i am thinking that either a calf moose/goat/marmot are amoung the best choices if we are going to try and atemp useing a call.
i feel that when i am going after any animal,the more i have in my pocket in the way of knowledge,the better chance i have for success.
i know the land fairly well,visulization will come in the form of spoting from the valley bottom
circle around and come in from above.within a couple hundred yards at the most.then adjust accordingly the final approach.
if this becomes an option ,then so be it.i would love to get it all on film as well and this method would definatly be a way of placeing a bear right where he would cross the hunter and cameras path.

killer_shot
02-21-2012, 09:12 AM

Thats unreal, i would love to witness something like that.
You guys are getting me all excited to do another bow hunt this spring. Something special about stalking a predator this way. But my 338wm will be in my partners hand this year. Had one un-nerving encounter last year with a sow and cubs, just glad it was not grizz or i might not be here. Especially since we saw five that trip in the same area we hunted BB.

specbelly
02-21-2012, 09:47 AM
All you need to do to call a griz is fire off a couple of shots in the EK, then sit down and wait. They'll come running to the dinner bell

SHAKER
02-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Northern B.C. too.... Just fire a shot or two and watch'em come!

bowhunterbruce
02-21-2012, 10:51 AM
believe it or not ,the area im planning on going into might only hear 1 shot a year, the bears up that far dont move when they hear a shot.
unless your close and then they run like crazy the other way from the noice.
so shooting isn't a dinner bell to them.
bhb

CanuckShooter
02-21-2012, 11:33 AM
I had them in my front yard and shot the dirt in front of one...he couldn't have cared less! I have called them in with cow elk calls...they come in pretty fast usually!

tundra
02-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Hey BHB I have a dvd or two that have some hunts on them where they use a bow to take some grizzly bears. In the vids they spot and stalk, circling and coming in from the top like you say. I will dig them out and let you know there names or I can lend them to you. I go to Kelowna lots. One of my favorite hunts is spot and stalk bears with a bow no guns for back up. I was unable to do my grizzly hunt last year do to a heart attack. So maybe this spring I will get another draw to try with a bow.

bowhunterbruce
02-21-2012, 09:20 PM
Hey BHB I have a dvd or two that have some hunts on them where they use a bow to take some grizzly bears. In the vids they spot and stalk, circling and coming in from the top like you say. I will dig them out and let you know there names or I can lend them to you. I go to Kelowna lots. One of my favorite hunts is spot and stalk bears with a bow no guns for back up. I was unable to do my grizzly hunt last year do to a heart attack. So maybe this spring I will get another draw to try with a bow.

tundra that would be awsome. i'd love to check them out when you find them.
i've looked around the stores here and have yet to find any grizzly hunts with a bow,just a few online and most are oldies and dont really depict or give you that dangerous up close and personal feeling.
bhb

bowhunterbruce
02-29-2012, 04:00 AM
well its pretty cool to hear that other have accidently called in grizz
should be interesting if one is sighted and the situation is right.
i think i will keep it in my back pocket as another option in the challenge of taking one with my bow

The Dude
02-29-2012, 04:42 AM
Do Grizz approach from downwind always, or they ain't picky? If they do, I would Moose calf distress call, then move sideways and downwind 30-40 yards and watch down trail. Of course, I wouldn't call Grizz in to an "easy" meal with a bow.

Might be like calling these guys to aerate your lawn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U00vQUeDYz8&feature=related

bowhunterbruce
02-29-2012, 04:58 AM
dude,thats some pretty accuate lawn airaition.

Ruger4
02-29-2012, 07:09 AM
tundra that would be awsome. i'd love to check them out when you find them.
i've looked around the stores here and have yet to find any grizzly hunts with a bow,just a few online and most are oldies and dont really depict or give you that dangerous up close and personal feeling.
bhb
Bruce I have a vid where the dude takes the world record at 35 yards , its insane footage !!!

bowhunterbruce
02-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Bruce I have a vid where the dude takes the world record at 35 yards , its insane footage !!!

wicked rob,i'd love to watch it,when ya comming by with those heads

bowhunterbruce
03-03-2012, 03:43 AM
hey rob that bear hunt that jack brittingham does was friggin incredible.
i did a search on youtube and found it there
the current world record pope & young brown bear on film,,,,,,,,,,,,insane insane insane how big this bear is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfXRftiIDHk

i had to share ,this thing is a freak.
bhb

yama49
03-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Bruce, now that you drew a tag.. Are going try calling or not? Good luck on your hunt..

gerrygoat
03-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Bruce that is a great clip you posted, that bear is huge. They were lucky that bear didn't spot them after he got stuck with the arrow.

bowhunterbruce
03-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Bruce, now that you drew a tag.. Are going try calling or not? Good luck on your hunt..

well yama, with 3 of us going and me knowing the area fairly well, the lay of the land
could very easily dictate that calling is a very good possibility.
i can't say weather or not it is our goal to call them however if we have it in are arsonal it could very well happen.
the bears in our area might see 1 human in its entire lifetime and higly unlikely it was a negitive experience for that bear. that being said ,the bears all around there act naturally so i figured "when in rome,do as the romans do".
sound like the other ungulates and rodents that do live within the area and i'm thinking it might just be what will bring them into bow range for a shooter and back-up thats set up below a caller.
this is going to be so much fun i may just shit myself . we will have 2-45/70s along for the ride, one in the back-ups hands and one in the callers hands.
anyways its gonna be a blast no matter what and if its right then calling could be the deal sealer.
bhb

GreatWhitePopogeebo
03-04-2012, 11:20 AM
I used fawn distress in Bella for griZz in spring time no grizzly but a blackie showed up it was friggn cool I had a good laugh it was fun but I guess it could go sideways best to have someone around